Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:22 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
I'm talking about our country, the US, not the western world at large.
Why? The news article I posted discusses Western Hemisphere industrialized countries, including those in Scandinavia and Europe. 14 points lost on IQ. What is currently 100 (average) is the former 86.

Welcome to the idiocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 06:39 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times
*sigh*

I see a lot of young people working really hard, and not getting much help from anyone. The difference with youth today? They know the system is largely rigged against them. Some are engaging in rejectionism, and that scares the hell out of the older generations.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
*sigh*

I see a lot of young people working really hard, and not getting much help from anyone. The difference with youth today? They know the system is largely rigged against them. Some are engaging in rejectionism, and that scares the hell out of the older generations.

I see a lot of young people working really hard and doing exceptionally well. These are, of course, not the special snowflake types but those who worked hard to get into good colleges and grad schools and now are working hard in their careers. They are bright, well educated, hard working, responsible, engaged and savvy about the world they live in. Anytime I read about the nuttiness of the snowflakes, I have to remind myself there is another type of millennial.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I think many of the posters speaking ill of "youth" are old fogeys.

I don't think that the current generation of young people are any better or worse than previous generations in most instances.

I do feel the younger generation is much less racist and sexist and that that is a good thing.

I don't see all the negatives others see. I admit that I can be old fogey-ish as well but for the most part, the "kids" I know IRL especially are responsible, hardworking, intelligent kids and young adults. They also are much kinder than my own generation was to each other (and I'm not that old, only mid 30s). It is amazing IMO that my 14 year old has never been "bullied" or teased at school for instance. Things are much nicer for kids today that they used to be and I'm hopeful the world will be nicer as a result.

Also, I have young family members on active duty as well in our military, volunteers, who are very patriotic and believe in having a strong nation. Most of my younger family members, including those in the military are also very entrepreneur focused and they seek to work for themselves and they value their time and their family more than "work." Which I also think is a good thing. I also know quite a few young married couples (in their 20s) which is against the media perception one sees about our younger generation, especially for young black adults. I'm glad in my family there is a good mix amongst the younger generation of family values, strength, and love of country. Due to that, I am optimistic about the future.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I see a lot of young people working really hard and doing exceptionally well. These are, of course, not the special snowflake types but those who worked hard to get into good colleges and grad schools and now are working hard in their careers. They are bright, well educated, hard working, responsible, engaged and savvy about the world they live in. Anytime I read about the nuttiness of the snowflakes, I have to remind myself there is another type of millennial.
I would change that to "some." Yes, some millennials are doing well. They are not the special little snowflake types. They've earned their success, exactly as you've described.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
I don't know what the test results reflect and I don't know what the IQ drop is about, but I can tell you that this group of adults is hard working, bright and extremely creative.

I've posted this before in the Work and Employment forum, which I no longer frequent. Every generation has it's percentage of slugs. The Millenials have a slightly higher percentage - I'm guessing about 35 - 40% - thanks to the parents who raised them in a way that left them feeling entitled.

I have news for the naysayers here. The Millenials came out of school with different expectations from corporate America. Many took on full time jobs and had to work 50+ hours to keep those jobs because after 9/11, that became the climate due to employee reduction.

If the people who put together these assessments are the same brainiacs that thought up new math and Core Curriculum, that tells us everything we need to know.

The whole premise of the thread sounds like a humble brag, by the way. 'The Millenials don't have what it takes for the most part - but MINE do!'

No, MOST do. If you think otherwise you must live in area of much affluence and a high amount of entitled people.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:41 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,592,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The "snowflakes" are likely a minority. I mean, you only hear about them through the media, which is famous for only using stereotypes to represent a group of people that are so extreme they get video shares and page views. As a thirty-year old I guess I'm on the edge of the Millennial generation, and I've met a couple of really whiny babies, but most of them are hard-working and smart, but the opportunities that used to exist simply don't anymore. Some still manage to make it, but it's a smaller number and most of them are aware that the system is broken at best, rigged at worst.

To further my point about the "snowflakes" being a minority, I've met many people over 50 who live off of "disability" or don't do anything with their lives. Millennials aren't any different. They're just people like you. Some are good, some aren't. The difference is things are undeniably and statistically more difficult for them than they ever were for the older generations.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:47 AM

729 posts, read 429,661 times
The fact that so many of them blindly support Hitlary/Bernie...the nation.may very well be screwed.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
The "snowflakes" are likely a minority. I mean, you only hear about them through the media, which is famous for only using stereotypes to represent a group of people that are so extreme they get video shares and page views. As a thirty-year old I guess I'm on the edge of the Millennial generation, and I've met a couple of really whiny babies, but most of them are hard-working and smart, but the opportunities that used to exist simply don't anymore. Some still manage to make it, but it's a smaller number and most of them are aware that the system is broken at best, rigged at worst.

To further my point about the "snowflakes" being a minority, I've met many people over 50 who live off of "disability" or don't do anything with their lives. Millennials aren't any different. They're just people like you. Some are good, some aren't. The difference is things are undeniably and statistically more difficult for them than they ever were for the older generations.

They are also pickier about jobs they will take. Many of those over fifty are disabled because they worked laborious jobs for 35 years. Sorry if they cannot continue to do it even though millennials will not, so it's down to immigrants. Some people are disabled because of arthritis, disc disorders and many things associated with aging, no fun to get old- wait and see, so snarking at seniors who have paid their dues is barking up the wrong tree.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:44 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Well the USA will be a different place compared to what most of us recall it used to be. I doubt things will ever go back to pre-2007 or pre-2001 or the booming 1990s. I do not think we have enough good jobs for everyone. Good thing the education al system has declined for most except elites as there will not be enough jobs to match if the output was of uniform quality.

Do not see it will go well for the Rich though. Taxes like in Western Europe coming I suspect. Us Middle-Class survivors will do ok.

Either way we will survive. Did not expect it to be all as it was. Then when Boomers are out of media attention then it will be a new reality with a fanciful past which no one believes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies