Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:22 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
"Execute"? Why ruin a perfectly good subject with that type of emotional hyperbole?
Nothing hyperbolic in the least bit.

The justifiable and laudatory actions of Officer Hilling stand in stark contrast to the actions of police officers like Jason Van Dyke (I refuse to refer to him as officer) who has been charged with first degree murder in the shooting death of Laquan McDonald. First degree murder, which by any definition denotes a extrajudicial execution when carried out by a member of law enforcement. And Van Dyke is not alone in this regard.

The only way you can find the title to be hyperbolic is if you believe that actions by officers like Van Dyke are perfectly legal or as some have commented here, that Officer Hilling showed too much restraint and as the meme goes, should have just killed the guy and "saved the tax payers" the expense of a trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:24 AM

643 posts, read 472,282 times
Quote:
Once hit and down there is no reason to empty your gun into them..
This is a very naive thing to say. So once someone is down they can not shoot you? They can not hop up and stab you? Just because patting the had of a killer works once does not make it the correct way nor the intelligent way of taking care of a deadly situation. Double tap them in the chest and don't worry unless they still show aggression.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
TDouble tap them in the chest and don't worry unless they still show aggression.
Double tap

Who are you some operative from GSG-9?

Contrary to popular opinion about me, I say fire until the threat is stopped or can be avoided. But in the case of Laquan McDonald, and ignoring the fact that he didn't pose an imminent threat in the first place, he was clear down and out but Van Dyke continued to fire for a total of 16 rounds.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:36 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Police are trained, rightfully so, that if they have to draw their weapon to shoot, they are to aim at the chest.

That is the largest target, and the easiest one to hit.

IF they are shooting a suspect it SHOULD be because that suspect was presenting an imminent threat to the police officer or others. "Shooting to wound" in either case is foolish and not recommended.
Your right ,
My captain said to me," if you have to pull the gun , fire, and don't wave it around.
Finish the job and deal with it."
A man with a knife can run up on you faster then you can think to fire the gun ,it's stupid to wait and try to talk him down.
There is a 21' rule , and that perp was much closer than 21'

Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 AM

643 posts, read 472,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Your right ,
My captain said to me," if you have to pull the gun , fire, and don't wave it around.
A man with a knife can run up on you faster then you can think to fire the gun ,it's stupid to wait and try to talk him down.
There are many situations that are very gray. Such as the woman cop who tazered the man and shot him because he was flopping around with his arms under him. She set up the situation and then shot him several times. Very gray. This asshat with a knife is so crystal clear it should be used as a training video on what not to do. This cop put himself and possibly others in danger. He should have double tapped him in the chest and quickly as possible assessed if he was still a threat, he could have a gun, he could jump up due to being on drugs even though he was wounded severely or almost dead. Personally I would not want to ride with or work with a cop that thought this was a good way to handle the situation.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Nothing hyperbolic in the least bit.

The justifiable and laudatory actions of Officer Hilling stand in stark contrast to the actions of police officers like Jason Van Dyke (I refuse to refer to him as officer) who has been charged with first degree murder in the shooting death of Laquan McDonald. First degree murder, which by any definition denotes a extrajudicial execution when carried out by a member of law enforcement. And Van Dyke is not alone in this regard.

The only way you can find the title to be hyperbolic is if you believe that actions by officers like Van Dyke are perfectly legal or as some have commented here, that Officer Hilling showed too much restraint and as the meme goes, should have just killed the guy and "saved the tax payers" the expense of a trial.
You mean the guy that they waited a year to charge (the day before the press finally got the video) and has since been hired by the police union? Where the police super resigned into pension land and was replaced by another 25 year CPD veteran and the mayor is under no serious pressure to resign?

Does it really matter at that point what happens to Van Dyke? You can't make serious reforms until you change the habitat but there isn't serious political pressure to do so.

So HOW do you propose making meaningful changes in the large urban police departments like Chicago, Baltimore, LA, NY etc? Not treating the symptoms but addressing the environment.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Your right ,
That is if the firearm is still holstered. He had his in the two hand shooting position.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:04 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you are doing something illegal they can pat you down. I've complained more than anyone about the cops when they do something wrong but they can pat you down if you are caught doing an illegal activity.
No they can't. Again when you are written a speeding ticket you cannot be subject to a pat down.
Again the law clearly states
A quick surface search of the person’s outer clothing for weapons if they have reasonable suspicion that the person stopped is armed. This reasonable suspicion must be based on "specific and articulable facts" and not merely upon an officer's hunch

Terry v Ohio

Quote:
I'm not going to complain about this one. The guy was walking along an interstate. A police officer is going to stop each and every time he see's that. Most times the guy is going to point to his car and state that it just broke down and he was walking to an exit and the officer will call for help. In this case the guy is obviously not all there.
Because according to you even though by law the pat down is illegal it's okay for the sole reason that person was walking on the interstate.

Quote:
So we have someone acting in an odd manner being somewhere he is not allowed to be without a good excuse.
Garbage. The individual does not need to justify their exisitance to law enforcement.

Quote:
If the officer thinks a pat down is warranted before placing him in the cruiser, he can.
Just like the Sandra Bland case. The cops were successfully sued. Because someone is acting weird you cannot pat them down or arrest them.

Quote:
Now if the guy was simply walking down a regular street minding his own business the standard for me would have to be higher.
Luckily you aren't in law enforcement as you don't understand the simple law. The standard is the same as far as a pat down goes.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Saves the taxpayers money.....
It ends up costing the taxpayers millions of dollars a year.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
This is a very naive thing to say. So once someone is down they can not shoot you? They can not hop up and stab you? Just because patting the had of a killer works once does not make it the correct way nor the intelligent way of taking care of a deadly situation. Double tap them in the chest and don't worry unless they still show aggression.
No, this guy was not going to hop up and stab anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies