Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Okay friend. Luck is a factor in any deadly encounter. Time/distance are everything in these situations.

I'd rather have 10,000 dead murderers than one dead cop. Guy with knife = Deadly force. Respond in kind.
I'm not sure where the disconnect is. He did. He fired and stopped the guy. What are we missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Murderer attacks cop with a knife at close range. Quite clearly the cop should shoot to kill. Sorry, but there are no second chances in scenarios like this. I'd rather have the cop go home safely.
Sorry, but the concept is to shoot to STOP, now in the course of applying potentially lethal force a person dies, be they shot by police of civilian... well that's just the way it goes. But the concept of shooting to kill implies that it is perfectly fine to keep applying potentially lethal force even after that attacker has ceased to pose a threat, that is called murder.

Had Officer Josh Hilling killed, Javier Pablo Aleman with one round, two, three of fifty if Mr. Aleman had continued to pose an imminent threat I would still applaud his actions, but Officer Hilling ceased to fire his weapon once Mr. Aleman's attack cease to pose an imminent threat. The same can not be said of Officer Van Dyke who not only shot a man who did not pose an imminent threat but continued shooting Lashawn McDonald as he laid helplessly in the street.

Of course this appears to be impenetrable concept, it clearly didn't penetrate Officer Van Dyke but then that is why he has been charged with murder and Officer Hilling is being applauded for his actions.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:36 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
That's very nice and all, and I don't want to see people die, but if a cop is in a different surprise attack with a second to react, it might have a different outcome.
How often does that happen?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 PM

I wonder what the officer noticed? He must have seen something. The video isn't complete. The only way that pat down is legal is if the officer knew the person had a weapon and might use it.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:51 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The only way that pat down is legal is if the officer knew the person had a weapon and might use it.
Sorry, but you are wrong but either way it isn't the topic...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop

Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I wonder what the officer noticed? He must have seen something. The video isn't complete. The only way that pat down is legal is if the officer knew the person had a weapon and might use it.
I think technically it's illegal to walk on the interstate.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think technically it's illegal to walk on the interstate.
But that doesn't give the officer any reason to pat someone down. You get a speeding ticket he can't legally pat you down.

A quick surface search of the person’s outer clothing for weapons if they have reasonable suspicion that the person stopped is armed. This reasonable suspicion must be based on "specific and articulable facts" and not merely upon an officer's hunch

Terry v Ohio

Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong but either way it isn't the topic...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop
Sorry, but you are wrong and you're link proves I'm right. And it is part of the topic. You're 0 for 2.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:55 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Ohio police officer Joshua Hilling applies enough deadly force to stop a suspect, survive the encounter and make the arrest of a man suspected of murder.

Murder suspect surprises cop with knife - CNN Video
Oh, who cares. Don't come at cops with knives. If you do, the cop doesn't owe you your life.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not sure where the disconnect is. He did. He fired and stopped the guy. What are we missing?
Just proves that many cops can't shoot very well. If you pull a trigger then you should be trying to kill. I guess I'm not surprised though. Most cops aren't very good shots. Oh well, hopefully his department is requiring him to get more range time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies