Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:32 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The problem is that people are very good at differentiating between legal Hispanics (especially native born) and illegal Hispanics. The federal government in particular has a long track record of accidentally deporting people and other negative actions that get worse the more the government cracks down on illegal immigration.
Long track record? Come on, you know better than that. Few mistakes are made and it usually is because they can't or won't provide a valid ID that says they are here legally or are citizens of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 10:58 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,871 times
Latino culture is not just like trashy white rednecks only browner? Not every Latino is thinking about "the bottom line" in terms of their own personal money, even if they are citizens or legal residents. Family and cultural ties also matter, it's not as individualistic a culture as white WASP America. Too much of the rhetoric against "illegal immigrants" is just coded racism, and many Hispanics know that.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:05 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Latino culture is not just like trashy white rednecks only browner? Not every Latino is thinking about "the bottom line" in terms of their own personal money, even if they are citizens or legal residents. Family and cultural ties also matter, it's not as individualistic a culture as white WASP America. Too much of the rhetoric against "illegal immigrants" is just coded racism, and many Hispanics know that.
Which is why, as a Puerto Rican, Trump can kiss my ass. This kind of shallow, non-thinking is also the reason why you don't see blacks voting for the GOP even if they trot out Ben Carson or whomever.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Well first of all, no one should want Donald Trump to be president....

Now that that's out of the way, yes, legal immigrants in this country should agree with the policies that Trump pretends to believe in. Secure borders and better trade agreements benefit them, whereas open, insecure borders are a detriment to them as well as to all the rest of us. There are Hispanics that support these kind of policies but the liberal media does their best to cover them up, and to the extent that they do report on them, the media does it's best to portray them as a fringe minority of a minority, and maybe they are, who knows? If public polling is an accurate indication, Hispanic Trump supporters are indeed a minority.

It all depends on how well Liberals practice their identity politics strategy. That's how Liberalism works... First you cultivate a culture of victimhood, then you exploit it for political gain. If Liberals do this well enough, they can win on emotion and not ever even have to debate policy on it's merit because the "victims" won't be able to see far enough beyond their "offended-ness" to even think about the policy...

Take this Liberal poster for example....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Well, if I were latino, I would know that you see me as an invader first, second and last.
Classic example of cultivating a culture of victims without ever having to debate the merit of an actual policy. Trump has never implied that latino's are invaders, not once, he just recognizes that there indeed are invaders, many of whom happen to be Hispanic. Liberals cannot allow the voting Hispanic population to see and understand this distinction, however, because then they would have no hurt fellings to exploit. So in order to blur the lines, they conflate Trump's comments about Mexicans crossing the border illegally with a racial component that extends to all Hispanics, legal or not.
Quote:
Trump took this one step further when he called me a murderer, a thief, etc.
Another fine example. Instead of acknowleging the very real and provable fact that many of the people crossing the border are in fact murderers and drug dealers, the modern day Liberal conflates the issue and avoids having to debate the merit of Trump's policies, as well as grow their group of victims, by sending the message that Trump was referring to ALL Mexicans as murderers and theifs, which is clearly not true, neither that they are, OR that Trump implied it.
Quote:
I hope to see record number of Latinos voting in this election. Trump has been a very good motivator for these people to vote and I hope they pull through.
Again, implies that Trump and his supporters hate all people of Mexican descent, as if crossing the border illegaly or dealing drugs and committing crimes was just synonymous with being latino, ( if you ask me, Liberlas are the racist ones ) and suggests that all Latino's should be offended and vote against him.

Identity before policy. It's pathetic, and sadly, it looks like Latino's, again citing public polling, are being taken in by it. On the other hand. it's hard to measure whether Hispanics are rejecting the actual policy, or rather. rejecting the person it's coming from, seeing as Trump is an inherently weak candidate.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 05-01-2016 at 11:20 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 01:46 AM

572 posts, read 280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There is one group definitely harmed by the expansion of unskilled labor, be it legal or illegal, the unskilled laborer. Unskilled laborers are disproportionately black and hispanic.

Yes, people do support illegal labor. Everytime they hire an illegal, everytime they ignore existing immigration laws. You don't think those promising not to deport illegals do not know most of them work?

Hell, I support expansion of the unskilled labor supply, be it legal or not. I am not competing with them in the workplace. I just find it hypocritical the party that pretends to represent the poor and unskilled does the same. Do not tell me they don't just because they do not say it directly. Actions speak louder than words.
I'm not criticizing Trump for wanting to deal with the economic fallout of illegal immigration, I'm criticizing the tone of his rhetoric and the nature of his 'solutions'.

Even neo-nazi movements don't come out and say 'get these filthy wetbacks out of our country' anymore-- they attack illegal immigrants, because it's an acceptable way of promoting racist perspectives. This happens with the fascist parties in Europe as well. Make no mistake, all of this 'get out of our country' BS is validating racism as we speak, and 'I'm sick of all the PC bull****' is usually code for 'I don't want to be shamed for my bigotry anymore'.

What I find ironic is that a lot of the same people who think that minimum wage shouldn't exist and the market should determine the value of labor turn around and get upset when an illegal offers to do the job for less money. I guess at least YOU are consistent in that regard.

And OF COURSE Hillary knows that the illegals work... she's not promising amnesty because she thinks they're law-abiding citizens, she's promising amnesty because it's the cheapest way to prevent them from being exploited, whether they invite it upon themselves or not. If they aren't being exploited, then other legal work becomes more competitive.

Amnesty isn't about making people feel good or building bridges, it's about getting illegals to identify THEMSELVES so that they can join the legal workforce. It's an economic solution first, even if it's being marketed as some sort of human rights issue.

BTW, if you're really concerned with the expansion of unskilled labor-- don't you think there would be less unskilled labor if suddenly the illegals were allowed to attend college, get educations, join trade schools, etc? Kicking everyone out isn't going to do anything except force them to be more inventive about getting in and keep them in the unskilled labor force.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:51 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Too much of the rhetoric against "illegal immigrants" is just coded racism, and many Hispanics know that.
This is a total lie. What is so difficult to understand about not wanting more criminals in our country?

Old 05-02-2016, 03:06 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
If I were here and rooted...working, with a home...etc I'd want to stop the invasion from the far south. Why would I want to keep waving in my competitors? Are these people smart enough to think of this? The invaders are coming here to steal your job...not mine. Do they realize that our economical resources have reached the point of total exhaustion and a major overhaul will have to happen very soon and if the invasion continues they will be the ones to suffer the greater loss?
Here's where you screwed up royally, Brokeloser. "Are these people smart enough to think of this? The invaders are coming here to steal your job...not mine." Your words. There are many Hispanic legal immigrant professionals where I live. I can only assume from your post that you believe "they" all mow lawns or work as housekeepers. Think about that for a while. What job do you have that you feel so secure they aren't going to steal it? Hubby is a professional, no illegal immigrant can "steal" his job (probably why this thread irritates the heck out of me). Neighbor is a pediatric surgeon, hardly think that "job" is up for grabs with a random "illegal". Where does this idea that all legal, or even illegal, Latinos are all the same? All do the same things? All think the same way? Geezus.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:15 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Here's where you screwed up royally, Brokeloser. "Are these people smart enough to think of this? The invaders are coming here to steal your job...not mine." Your words. There are many Hispanic legal immigrant professionals where I live. I can only assume from your post that you believe "they" all mow lawns or work as housekeepers. Think about that for a while. What job do you have that you feel so secure they aren't going to steal it? Hubby is a professional, no illegal immigrant can "steal" his job (probably why this thread irritates the heck out of me). Neighbor is a pediatric surgeon, hardly think that "job" is up for grabs with a random "illegal". Where does this idea that all legal, or even illegal, Latinos are all the same? All do the same things? All think the same way? Geezus.

Please... is it really necessary to specify that we're discussing trends and tendencies not absolutes? Of course it's not "all". Who thinks it is?

Old 05-02-2016, 06:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is a total lie. What is so difficult to understand about not wanting more criminals in our country?
Because the left don't care about that as long as they vote for them and keep them in power.

If they thought that they were going to vote Republican, the Democrats would've built that wall while you were sleeping last night.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:46 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,771,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Long track record? Come on, you know better than that. Few mistakes are made and it usually is because they can't or won't provide a valid ID that says they are here legally or are citizens of this country.
It is relatively few, only several hundred thousands US citizens have been deport compared to tens of millions of illegal aliens.
But it is still hundreds of thousands who have been mistakenly deported and those are still big numbers.

The catch in your second phrase was "can't" show ID. When you are swept up in an immigrant net and you are not carrying proper ID on you at the time (which is much more common for native born citizens - a driver's license is not proof of citizenship), then you "can't" show id.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies