Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:59 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, the EMTs were able to improvise with other equipment they had. They got him stabilized. The kid was dead when they got to him.
One of the EMT's who testified stated that they could not get him full oxygen due to improper equipment. Either way, no one accused them of asphyxiating the boy as Suzy claims.
Quote:
Oh, no his symptoms were far more matched to bacterial meningitis. Let's look at this link:
Types of Meningitis
"Bacterial meningitis is usually severe and can even be deadly. For example, though rare, meningococcal meningitis is a type of bacterial meningitis that can cause:

Serious complications, such as amputations, scarring, and brain damage in about 1 in 5 people
Death in 10%-15% of cases even when appropriate antibiotic therapy is used"

Though it can be fatal, viral meningitis is often less severe than bacterial meningitis. Most people with viral meningitis usually recover in 7 to 10 days without specific treatment.
His symptoms were not severe though until the end. He was running around playing one day and laying around in bed the next. He didn't get really sick until the last couple of days.
Quote:
Here's another: Symptoms and causes - Meningitis - Mayo Clinic

"Bacterial meningitis is serious, and can be fatal within days without prompt antibiotic treatment. Delayed treatment increases the risk of permanent brain damage or death. . . . Viral meningitis is usually mild and often clears on its own. Most cases in the United States are caused by a group of viruses known as enteroviruses, which are most common in late summer and early fall."
He had enterovirus in his nose and throat as per autopsy. His symptoms were mild until the last couple of days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 11:54 PM

794 posts, read 818,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Not sure why this is so funny to you. If your child gets measles or mumps then they could pass it on to babies who can't get the vaccines until they are older. You may not care if your kids get these preventable diseases but I can assure you that most do.
It's not so much funny as it is a return of the smug superiority doled out by the zealot vaccine proponents.

Frankly I'm tired of these people who think they know better than everyone else. None of them ever want to discuss the revolving door and corrupt Gov agencies tasked with actually looking out for the public welfare, the fact that vaccine manufacturers lobbied for and won immunity from lawsuits and scrutiny, and the fact that they (the zealots) seem to spend an outsized amount of time and effort "debunking" those who disagree. Much more effort seems to be spent by these people than those who disagree on other topics on forums.

We live under a hugely corrupt system, and to argue that pharma and the cdc are somehow pure and unadulterated is asinine. These people spend years trying to convince other forum members that the propaganda they support is gospel.

So yea. Not really funny as it is disgusting (on their part).

Ask yourself - since when is any science actually "done"? The very definition of science is looking for truth, not trying to fit an agenda into a narrative. The Narrative that "The Vaccine Science Is over with, it's done" should be enough to alert any rational person that there is a fatal flaw with the person spewing such drivel

Old 05-14-2016, 08:03 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My flame on statement was about survival of the fittest nothing else. Believe what you want though.

Such as your opinion isn't represent of every nurse either. This entire forum board is about one's own opinion when it comes right down to it.

It might be harsh but it's the truth the strong survive nature teaches us that. My mom dies of cancer two months ago my uncle did also a year ago. I'm sorry about that your son has to go though that. My dad died of type 2 diabetes. There is no maybe there.

As far as your statement about population I don't agree with you, we we're meant to breed like rabbits. Yes, we are meant to have children to continue to make sure that the human races goes on. Not to have children just for the same of having them. Which many do because they feel that it's expected of them.
I do believe that as a race we're headed towards something that in the end only the strongest will survive.
Again, since you may not have an understanding of medicine and human physiology, I want to remind you that some viruses target "the fittest." Such was the case with the flu of 1918 which selectively killed young, healthy adults. Viruses invade the cells of our body and, in effect, take over "mission control" of these cells. The flu virus of 1918 selected the immune cells and turned them against the host (person infected). The healthier one was, especially their immune system, the more "ammo" the viruses were able to muster against their host. The weakest actually survived that flu epidemic.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why would anyone in the medical profession tell you that natural remedies work? They would be shooting themselves in the foot. Besides they need your help to pay for that house on the beach.
If natural remedies work, that boy would still be alive. His parents relied heavily and totally on natural remedies.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
The only thing that matters is freedom of choice to either vaccinate or not. The whole "free rider" argument is false. Those who wish to vaccinate are free to do so, the fact that they can't force their views on others only means that there is equality in choice (thankfully).

Pro vaccination people are some of the most rabid zealots since Jonestown.

Nowhere in the Constitution does it mandate a person is obligated to join a herd, and certainly no mandate to join in its immunity.

The OP wasn't even about vaccines, it's about delaying needed medical help.
Those who don't vaccinate their children are the same people who want everything medicine has to offer pumped into their child once they become critically ill!

Old 05-14-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
No, you are not taking a free ride. This is a canard used by zealots of many stripes, in this case pro vaccine zealots.

This "free ride" argument is the same as the guy who wants to put up a fence and demands his neighbor pay for half. If you want a fence, go ahead and put up a fence - don't get pissy with the neighbor because he doesn't want to "pay" but will still benefit from the fence. You're the one who wants the fence, it's not up to the neighbor to share the cost when he doesn't particularly want a fence, just because you now want a fence.

Same with vaccines. Have at it, feel free. Don't expect or try to force me into it though, I don't want it. If I happen to benefit from it through no fault of my own, that's not on me - that's on you. I have zero obligation to you or anyone.

I am thinking that people who don't vaccinate, should pay more for health insurance. When they become ill, be it Hepatitis B or Whooping cough, their medical costs far exceed the cost of those vaccinations. Those costs are passed on to all of us when our insurance goes up to pay for the illnesses of the unvaccinated.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have seen this with litters of stray cats. The weak, runt of the litter cannot nurse. His bigger, stronger litter mates will push him out of the way to nurse from their mother. This cat will get weaker, and weaker until the the mother will eat him. Food for the mother and the other kittens. I saw this as child. My Aunt, who grew up on a farm said this, as you said, the strong kittens will nurse, thrive, and grow up to pass on their healthier genes to their offspring. How nature intended the species to survive.

As I have mentioned before, my Great-Grandma had 5 children and only one survived to adulthood. My Grandma had 4 children and every one survived to adulthood.

Everyone on here keeps talking about that 1918 Flu Pandemic. My Grandma was pregnant with my Dad during the 1918 Flu Pandemic. Yes, a PREGNANT woman. She also had 3 other young children alive during that Pandemic. Pregnant woman and young children. The most vulnerable members of society?

So we get back to that "litter" and the runt. Grandma was the only one of her siblings to reach adulthood. She, my unborn Dad, and all of her other 3 children survived that Pandemic. Natural order of life?

Someone on here said it was the "healthiest with the strongest immune systems" who were dying. I do not believe that for one minute. So I suppose my pregnant Grandma and her 3 young children under 10 survived because they were weak? Precisely the opposite, just as it in the animal kingdom.

Humans are part of the animal kingdom too. I don't want to sound callous here, but sometimes I feel we are upsetting the natural balance of life. Sad as it might be, not every baby was meant to survive to adulthood. Sad as it might be, not all elderly were meant to live to longer and longer ages,

We are going to pay the priced some day for trying to create "healthier" and "healthier" people artificially.

How much science background do you have? Anecdotes are not science.

Perhaps you can understand the medical science and human physiology behind the mechanism of attack from the 1918 flu.
The Influenza of 1918: When a Strong Immune System Becomes a Weakness

Quote:
The research, which found that an over-stimulated immune system killed even as it tried to fight the flu, helps explain why many of the 50 million people who died in the epidemic were healthy young adults. Conventional flu usually claims mostly the very young and very old.
Quote:
“It’s a very good replicating virus and therefore it can affect more of the immune system and thereby triggers what one refers to as a cytokine storm,” said Peter Palese, chairman of the microbiology department at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, who wasn’t part of the study but has worked on the resurrected virus before. Cytokines transmit messages among cells in the immune system.
New tests reveal why 1918 flu was so deadly - Health - Cold and flu | NBC News

Last edited by jojajn; 05-14-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
No Mrs Q, you're incorrect again because you're not actually reading what I'm saying. I acknowledged that sure, I might incidentally benefit from your choice to vaccinate, but that is not my problem - it's yours. Pay close attention, I'll say it again, your choice to vaccinate and my benefit from your choice is your tough tittay, not mine.

You can get as mad as you want, stomp your feet, hold your breath etc, but the fact remains - I do not owe you or anyone else anything for your actions. I am under no obligation or mandate to even acknowledge "the herd", much less be expected to medicate for said herd.

You can feel free to believe in herds, the greater good, to "each according to his needs, from each according to his ability" and whatever else strikes your fancy. Have at it, that's your liberty. MY liberty is worth no less than yours, regardless of your OPINION on who should do what. And my liberty is to not take vaccines, not vaccinate my children.

Deal with it.

You'll never get your way, no matter how much you feel entitled to control others. Ain't gonna happen lady, sorry.
Again, unvaccinated? Pay for your own medical treatment for vaccine preventable diseases. I don't want to pay for your fence with my increase of medical insurance premiums because you cost $100,000 in medical expenses instead of $15 for a vaccine.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Well, anyway, thanks again for being the willing test subjects for the pharma cartels. Better you than me.

Call me when they decide to remove the free rider status from the pharmaceutical companies (you know, the liability shield enacted as law back in the late 80s), as well as the revolving door between those who work at the cdc and the private companies they are supposed to regulate. We'll talk more at that time.

Till then, ha ha, my children are 100% unvaccinated and there is nothing you can do about it.
You may be right about that. If your unvaccinated children become seriously ill, there may be nothing doctors can do about it. The child who is the subject of this thread died from a vaccine preventable illness and medicine could not save the child from dying.
1.5 million children a year die from vaccine-preventable diseases - Vaccine Nation

Old 05-14-2016, 08:49 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You may be right about that. If your unvaccinated children become seriously ill, there may be nothing doctors can do about it. The child who is the subject of this thread died from a vaccine preventable illness and medicine could not save the child from dying.
1.5 million children a year die from vaccine-preventable diseases - Vaccine Nation

Actually, if the boy really did have bacterial meningitis, antibiotics could have saved him but only if his parents took him to the Dr. in time and in their case the jury ruled that they did not. Vaccines weren't a part of the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies