Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Are you even aware of where heroin comes from?

The vast majority of prescription drugs have no abuse potential whatsoever and the vast majority of people who take them have no side effects whatsoever. Those who use Adderall as prescribed do not get "hooked" on it.

In the US, those who refuse vaccines are free riding on those who do vaccinate.

No vaccine experts claim vaccines are "totally safe". Saying you do not want to use vaccines because they are not "totally safe" is illogical, a Nirvana fantasy. Your herbs are not "totally safe", either. There are lots of poisonous plants.

I never said the herbs I take are totally safe everything has a risk factor. Yes, I know where heroin comes from. And no not everyone whose hooked on Adderall abuses it. Use it long enough & your hooked on it. long-term use can lead to psychotic behavior, hallucinations, stroke or heart attack. Sounds like something I want in me!

Adderall is like meth

Methamphetamine Methamphetamine is a stimulant that produces a sense of euphoria and is an aphrodisiac similarly related to amphetamines but more potent and longer-lasting. Unlike amphetamine, it is directly toxic to dopamine neurons, with hyperthermia aggravating its toxicity. It is highly addictive, with prolonged abuse capable of causing serious health problems, including depression, anhedonia, psychosis, Parkinson's disease and cardiac damage. In the United States the Dextro isomer, which is Schedule II, is prescribed under the brand name Desoxyn for narcolepsy and ADHD, although this is uncommon due to the stigma associated with the drug and the availability of alternatives. In contrast, the levo isomer is available over the counter as a component of Vicks Vapor Inhaler wherein it functions as a vasoconstrictor, with little if any effect on the central nervous system.

Last edited by reed067; 05-12-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 10:32 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
not too sure i agree with it, it gets on the slippery slope of are by standers guilty of crime to for seeing something and not doing something to stop it

they werent "withholding" treatment, they just did it wrong. they were dumb but that isnt a crime.

can we criminalize parents for their fat kids because obesity kills in that it lowers life expectancy?
The issue is that they believed natural remedies would suffice. The thing is, no evidence exists to support such claims. Now, you're right in saying stupidity isn't a crime, but it usually is when it results in someone else's death. Which is why eating a taco while driving will still get you charged with a crime when you run over someone, even though it's not your fault all the meat fell in your lap and you just naturally reacted.

Let's say some parents believe giving their child vodka would cure their headaches. They gave him too much, and he dies of alcohol poisoning. Is their belief that they were doing the right thing, despite mountains of evidence being readily available to contradict their view, a good enough argument?

Old 05-12-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
The issue is that they believed natural remedies would suffice. The thing is, no evidence exists to support such claims.

Why would anyone in the medical profession tell you that natural remedies work? They would be shooting themselves in the foot. Besides they need your help to pay for that house on the beach.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:08 AM

794 posts, read 819,366 times
The only thing that matters is freedom of choice to either vaccinate or not. The whole "free rider" argument is false. Those who wish to vaccinate are free to do so, the fact that they can't force their views on others only means that there is equality in choice (thankfully).

Pro vaccination people are some of the most rabid zealots since Jonestown.

Nowhere in the Constitution does it mandate a person is obligated to join a herd, and certainly no mandate to join in its immunity.

The OP wasn't even about vaccines, it's about delaying needed medical help.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why would anyone in the medical profession tell you that natural remedies work? They would be shooting themselves in the foot. Besides they need your help to pay for that house on the beach.
I'll side with you in saying that big pharma is corrupt. I'll side with you in saying that we rely to heavily on pharmaceutical drugs and not enough emphasis in placed on nutrition. But you will not convince me that it is rational to feed a child a smoothie of peppers, garlic, horseradish, and onions in hopes of treating an illness.

There are some natural remedies that have some benefits. This does not mean we discount modern medicine entirely. It's definitely no a reason to refuse to vaccinate your child.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Are you even aware of where heroin comes from?

The vast majority of prescription drugs have no abuse potential whatsoever and the vast majority of people who take them have no side effects whatsoever. Those who use Adderall as prescribed do not get "hooked" on it.

The whole point of this thread is the risk to others posed by people refusing vaccines. Those who do not take vaccines are at greater risk to get the diseases they prevent and give them to someone else, and the most susceptible population is children too young to be vaccinated. You may get over whooping cough just fine. Your friend's newborn who caught it from you might die from it.

Vaccines do work, though none of them are 100% effective (no one claims they are, though the HPV vaccine is close), and there are people who have legitimate reasons not to take them.

In the US, those who refuse vaccines are free riding on those who do vaccinate.

No vaccine experts claim vaccines are "totally safe". Saying you do not want to use vaccines because they are not "totally safe" is illogical, a Nirvana fantasy. Your herbs are not "totally safe", either. There are lots of poisonous plants.
Especially when you're growing them yourselves and cooking up potions on the kitchen stove!

Quote:
You know, doctors and other health professionals get accused of two things frequently:

1. They are treating people for illnesses they do not have to make money. (Yours above is a variation on that.)
2. They are withholding treatment to keep people sick to make money. (This also is a variation on your post above.)

And seriously, do you think the woo peddlers aren't making money? Look at Joe Mercola's mansion!
Dr. Joseph Mercola Ordered to Stop Illegal Claims

Now go take a look at the home of the average doctor in your community. Yes, many of them have large, upper middle class houses, but few have what Joe has!

Old 05-12-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
The only thing that matters is freedom of choice to either vaccinate or not. The whole "free rider" argument is false. Those who wish to vaccinate are free to do so, the fact that they can't force their views on others only means that there is equality in choice (thankfully).

Pro vaccination people are some of the most rabid zealots since Jonestown.

Nowhere in the Constitution does it mandate a person is obligated to join a herd, and certainly no mandate to join in its immunity.

The OP wasn't even about vaccines, it's about delaying needed medical help.
Abeel vs Clark, CA Supreme Court, 1890
Jacobson vs Massachusetts, 1905
Jacobson in Zucht v. King, 1922
MMS: Error

Many others. The state has a duty to protect the public's health.

Now this case happened in Canada, but I believe you were referencing the US, so I did as well.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Especially when you're growing them yourselves and cooking up potions on the kitchen stove!

You know, doctors and other health professionals get accused of two things frequently:

1. They are treating people for illnesses they do not have to make money. (Yours above is a variation on that.)
2. They are withholding treatment to keep people sick to make money. (This also is a variation on your post above.)

And seriously, do you think the woo peddlers aren't making money? Look at Joe Mercola's mansion!
Dr. Joseph Mercola Ordered to Stop Illegal Claims

Now go take a look at the home of the average doctor in your community. Yes, many of them have large, upper middle class houses, but few have what Joe has!

I'm going to respond to what you said to Katarina first.

I'm sure you've heard the term witch before. No, not a witch. Just trying to give you some background on what these women were. They were pharmacist of their day & without them I doubt if your doctors would be where they are now. They helped people have kids, if they were sick they helped too. They did many things.

My wife goes to a doctor back home who sits her down & asks questions like. What's new in your life?
Any added stress? Etc. I've never been to a doctor who asks any of the sort. What's going on in your life can affect what's going on with your body. As far as woo peddlers as you call them the doctor my wife goes to barters with her.

Look, another doctor whose against natural medicine. Big surprise there. You might want to check out the link below.

Is Stephen Barrett a Quack? Quackwatch review by Ray Sahelian, M.D.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I'm going to respond to what you said to Katarina first.

?? I am Katarina!

I'm sure you've heard the term witch before. No, not a witch. Just trying to give you some background on what these women were. They were pharmacist of their day & without them I doubt if your doctors would be where they are now. They helped people have kids, if they were sick they helped too. They did many things.

No one is denying that. suzy explained that well in her post from early this morning.

My wife goes to a doctor back home who sits her down & asks questions like. What's new in your life?
Any added stress? Etc. I've never been to a doctor who asks any of the sort. What's going on in your life can affect what's going on with your body. As far as woo peddlers as you call them the doctor my wife goes to barters with her.

My doctor has me fill out a form about the above. Maybe you should find a new doctor; go to your wife's doctor. Not sure what you mean by "barter".

Look, another doctor whose against natural medicine. Big surprise there. You might want to check out the link below.

Is Stephen Barrett a Quack? Quackwatch review by Ray Sahelian, M.D.
TL,DR. I like Quackwatch.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:32 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
No, that's not the point of the thread at all. You may want to check and see which vaccine thread you are on because what you believe is the "whole point of the thread" is actually off topic for the thread.
You're right about off topic!

What I said is still true, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies