Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 09:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I know you've heard this before but other's don't choose to get the vaccinations then why do you care? According to some of you here we'll die without it you should be happy to share the world with people who don't try to get you to see outside the box.

I'm sure those that push this B.S on you will be laughing all the way to the back & thank you for conforming.
I'll answer for me. This is a very common question, sometimes sincerely asked, sometimes asked as a "gotcha" question. I'm quite confident of my own immunity. As a child, I had measles, mumps, rubella and chickenpox; and I was vaccinated against diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, smallpox and polio. I had to get a booster for smallpox before I went off to college. As an adult I've had Hepatitis A and B vaccines, Tdap (more tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), yellow fever and typhoid for a mission trip to Brazil; as an older woman I've had shingles and Prevanr-13 (pneumonia). I've had a flu shot every year for about 30 years now. As a pediatric nurse, I've been exposed to chickenpox many times and never got it again.

The ones to be concerned about unvaxed people walking among us are:
The few who truly cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, allergy, serious reaction to a previous dose, etc.
Those who have been vaxed but are temporarily immunosuppressed, e.g. those currently on chemo, or on long term steroids for a health problem.
Lastly, probably the biggest group is those too young to be vaccinated or fully vaccinated. A child is not fully vaccinated with the primary series of most vaccines until 18-24 months. S/he does not get his final boosters of the infant immunizations until age 4-6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 12:42 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Being that this is a debate about getting vaccinated, where exactly do you think that modern medicine came from?

Here is your science.
It is science that took chemicals in those plants and turned them into medicines.

Take digoxin, for example. There is a fine line between a therapeutic dose and a potentially lethal one:

Digitalis spp. foxglove - THE POISON GARDEN website

How about vincristine, which my son took for his leukemia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincristine

Taking bits and pieces of the plants those two are derived from would be hazardous.

The difficulty with herbal products, especially in the US, is that when you buy them you have no idea what you are getting. They may or may not contain what is on the label and they may contain substances not disclosed on the label. There is no way to standardize a dose of a whole plant. No one has to provide any proof that herbal products even do anything useful.

Researchers continue to look for potentially useful compounds in plants. When they find them, they look for ways to produce them in quantities sufficient to supply them to all who need them at an affordable price.

The question is why you consider plant derived medications superior to those that are developed based on an understanding of physiology? There is nothing magical about the fact that digoxin originally came from a plant. It's now produced synthetically.

By the way, the first vaccine came from observation of a "natural" phenomenon: that infection with cowpox produced resistance to smallpox. Not much different from deriving medications from plants, eh?

Old 05-12-2016, 04:44 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The difficulty with herbal products, especially in the US, is that when you buy them you have no idea what you are getting. They may or may not contain what is on the label and they may contain substances not disclosed on the label. There is no way to standardize a dose of a whole plant. No one has to provide any proof that herbal products even do anything useful.

Researchers continue to look for potentially useful compounds in plants. When they find them, they look for ways to produce them in quantities sufficient to supply them to all who need them at an affordable price.

The question is why you consider plant derived medications superior to those that are developed based on an understanding of physiology? There is nothing magical about the fact that digoxin originally came from a plant. It's now produced synthetically.

That's what herbalist are for which my wife happens to be one. The biggest problem with herbs in all honesty is them being sprayed with pesticides. Which is why we grew our own. Affordable? I don't think so. Anyone who goes to a DR. will tell you otherwise. I never said plant based meds are superior my wife will tell you that & I agree to some extent.

Those in the medical field seem to have a one size fits all mentality. What the medial community pumps out tends to be VERY addictive & of course the side effects can be even worse. And of course they give you more meds to counter the side effects.

Next thing you know your addicted to over-counter drugs. One would seriously have to take more then one could consume to become addicted to a plant.
which is why we & other's refuse to take these so called miracle drugs. Seems to be more about money then helping people. How many people are hooked on drugs like Adderall?

Old 05-12-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'll answer for me. This is a very common question, sometimes sincerely asked, sometimes asked as a "gotcha" question.

The ones to be concerned about unvaxed people walking among us are:

This isn't one of those questions. It's an honest question, IF these meds work as claims & are totally safe, then why do care if other's do not take them? It's our bodies & our choice. Let us take the risk.

I understand what your saying about those with medical reasons who can't take them & I don't know what the answer is there. No one has the right to force anyone to tell, take, believe, vote your taking choice away from them.

My mom was a nurse for some where close to 45 years & even she wouldn't take a flu shot nor did she like taking over the counter drugs for the reason's I mention in post above. Hospital's are in the business of making money today not helping. As well as the big pharm.

I will say this & forgive me if it sounds harsh but it is true. In nature the strong survive the world can be harsh & very cruel. If a mother of said animal knows that her child isn't strong & won't make it she eats it & uses the it to feed those who are strong. Some are just not built to survive this world & in turn in kept the population down & in check.

Now I'm sure I'll get called heartless, etc. Yet in the end this world isn't made for everyone.

Flame on.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:46 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,220,137 times
When I was a youngster I had mumps and as I recall they were painful as hell. At that time (1970 or so) there was no mumps vaccine. Why would anybody put their kid through that if a vaccine had some chance of preventing it?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
This isn't one of those questions. It's an honest question, IF these meds work as claims & are totally safe, then why do care if other's do not take them? It's our bodies & our choice. Let us take the risk.

I understand what your saying about those with medical reasons who can't take them & I don't know what the answer is there. No one has the right to force anyone to tell, take, believe, vote your taking choice away from them.

My mom was a nurse for some where close to 45 years & even she wouldn't take a flu shot nor did she like taking over the counter drugs for the reason's I mention in post above. Hospital's are in the business of making money today not helping. As well as the big pharm.

I will say this & forgive me if it sounds harsh but it is true. In nature the strong survive the world can be harsh & very cruel. If a mother of said animal knows that her child isn't strong & won't make it she eats it & uses the it to feed those who are strong. Some are just not built to survive this world & in turn in kept the population down & in check.

Now I'm sure I'll get called heartless, etc. Yet in the end this world isn't made for everyone.

Flame on.
LOL! First you say it's an honest question, then you tell me to "Flame on". I've seen that question asked many, many times on message boards. It's almost always asked in a snarky manner such that you can almost see the poster smirking.

Over 90% of parents do vaccinate their children. In fact, the number of children getting no vaccines whatsoever is about 1.5%.

Your mom's opinions do not represent the opinions of every nurse.

Your comment about survival of the fittest is harsh. We've come a long way since the Neanderthal age when there was nothing you could do about these diseases, and where it might have applied. Like suzy_q, I have a child who had cancer. Maybe you'd feel differently if someone from your family was so effected. The best population control is to assure parents that their kids have a good chance of surviving to adulthood, so they don't have to have six so that 2-3 will survive.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:

Flame on.
Naah; you'd just get told that all of your post would apply equally to those who refuse to wash their hands after wiping their butts for equally questionable reasons.

Life expectancy marching inexorably up the scale has nothing whatsoever to do with society as a whole refuting medical science. The majority are on board and will remain so because of the overwhelming evidence of benefit.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
LOL! First you say it's an honest question, then you tell me to "Flame on". I've seen that question asked many, many times on message boards. It's almost always asked in a snarky manner such that you can almost see the poster smirking.

Your mom's opinions do not represent the opinions of every nurse.

Your comment about survival of the fittest is harsh. We've come a long way since the Neanderthal age when there was nothing you could do about these diseases, and where it might have applied. Like suzy_q, I have a child who had cancer. Maybe you'd feel differently if someone from your family was so effected. The best population control is to assure parents that their kids have a good chance of surviving to adulthood, so they don't have to have six so that 2-3 will survive.

My flame on statement was about survival of the fittest nothing else. Believe what you want though.

Such as your opinion isn't represent of every nurse either. This entire forum board is about one's own opinion when it comes right down to it.

It might be harsh but it's the truth the strong survive nature teaches us that. My mom dies of cancer two months ago my uncle did also a year ago. I'm sorry about that your son has to go though that. My dad died of type 2 diabetes. There is no maybe there.

As far as your statement about population I don't agree with you, we we're meant to breed like rabbits. Yes, we are meant to have children to continue to make sure that the human races goes on. Not to have children just for the same of having them. Which many do because they feel that it's expected of them.
I do believe that as a race we're headed towards something that in the end only the strongest will survive.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
That's what herbalist are for which my wife happens to be one. The biggest problem with herbs in all honesty is them being sprayed with pesticides. Which is why we grew our own. Affordable? I don't think so. Anyone who goes to a DR. will tell you otherwise. I never said plant based meds are superior my wife will tell you that & I agree to some extent.

Those in the medical field seem to have a one size fits all mentality. What the medial community pumps out tends to be VERY addictive & of course the side effects can be even worse. And of course they give you more meds to counter the side effects.

Next thing you know your addicted to over-counter drugs. One would seriously have to take more then one could consume to become addicted to a plant.
which is why we & other's refuse to take these so called miracle drugs. Seems to be more about money then helping people. How many people are hooked on drugs like Adderall?
Are you even aware of where heroin comes from?

The vast majority of prescription drugs have no abuse potential whatsoever and the vast majority of people who take them have no side effects whatsoever. Those who use Adderall as prescribed do not get "hooked" on it.

Quote:
The whole point of this thread is the risk to others posed by people refusing vaccines. Those who do not take vaccines are at greater risk to get the diseases they prevent and give them to someone else, and the most susceptible population is children too young to be vaccinated. You may get over whooping cough just fine. Your friend's newborn who caught it from you might die from it.

Vaccines do work, though none of them are 100% effective (no one claims they are, though the HPV vaccine is close), and there are people who have legitimate reasons not to take them.

In the US, those who refuse vaccines are free riding on those who do vaccinate.

No vaccine experts claim vaccines are "totally safe". Saying you do not want to use vaccines because they are not "totally safe" is illogical, a Nirvana fantasy. Your herbs are not "totally safe", either. There are lots of poisonous plants.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:52 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The whole point of this thread is the risk to others posed by people refusing vaccines.
No, that's not the point of the thread at all. You may want to check and see which vaccine thread you are on because what you believe is the "whole point of the thread" is actually off topic for the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies