Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
VERY few organized religions oppose immunizations, not even ones some associate with anti-vax, e.g. Christian Science, Amish. A few break-out groups of organized religions oppose IZs; this is especially common in the Fundamentalist Christian community.
A review of religion and vaccinations
'Religious' objections to vaccinations? There really aren't any | Deseret News National

You don't seem to have a good grip on how tetanus is transmitted. Any deep puncture wound can cause tetanus.
Tetanus | Causes and Transmission | Lockjaw | CDC
"Certain breaks in the skin that are more likely to get infected with tetanus bacteria. These include:

Wounds contaminated with dirt, poop (feces), or spit (saliva)
Wounds caused by an object puncturing the skin, like a nail or needle (puncture wounds)
Burns
Crush injuries
Injuries with dead tissue . . .
Tetanus has also been linked to clean superficial wounds (when only the topmost layer of skin is scraped off), surgical procedures, insect bites, dental infections, compound fractures (a break in the bone where it is exposed), chronic sores and infections, and intravenous (IV) drug use."

I can see lots of ways nursing home patients could get tetanus.
This is very ironic given what just happen to me today. Sliced my thumb over the knuckle on a pop top can of oranges. Not a deep wound but a large chunk of skin removed. I have two bandaides on it and a paper towel over that and it's soaking through the paper towel as I type. I am not worried about getting any Tetanus shot, but want the bleeding to stop before we drive at 2 AM this morning from Florida to NY. My husband said put a glove on it in the car for the drive. Yes, true. I will bring a box of bandaides, box of disposable gloves, and just let time heal it. Not the first time, and probably won't be the last time I, or my husband, have cut ourselves like this. Hey, if he could cut the tip of his finger off on a chain saw while being on blood thinners, not go to the doctor, I certainly can survive this. Again, ironic with this post.

Burns? lol I am short and burn myself a lot cooking over the stove when my arm hits the top of pots and pans. I have one big scar from a good 5 years ago. By what you say, I should have had Tetanus many times over in all these years, given my last vaccination was in the 1950's. I could not even begin to count how many times I have cut or burned myself in 60+ years. Pure luck? Maybe it's not as dangerous as you say, so you can spread fear and vaccination? Hello, 90 year old Nursing Home Resident!

Last edited by Jo48; 05-10-2016 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
This is very ironic given what just happen to me today. Sliced my thumb over the knuckle on a pop top can of oranges. Not a deep wound but a large chunk of skin removed. I have two bandaides on it and a paper towel over that and it's soaking through the paper towel as I type. I am not worried about getting any Tetanus shot, but want the bleeding to stop before we drive at 2 AM this morning from Florida to NY. My husband said put a glove on it in the car for the drive. Yes, true. I will bring a box of bandaides, box of disposable gloves, and just let time heal it. Not the first time, and probably won't be the last time I, or my husband, have cut ourselves like this. Hey, if he could cut the tip of his finger off on a chain saw while being on blood thinners, not go to the doctor, I certainly can survive this. Again, ironic with this post.

Burns? lol I am short and burn myself a lot cooking over the stove when my arm hits the top of pots and pans. I have one big scar from a good 5 years ago. By what you say, I should have had Tetanus many times over in all these years, given my last vaccination was in the 1950's. I could not even begin to count how many times I have cut or burned myself in 60+ years. Pure luck? Maybe it's not as dangerous as you say, so you can spread fear and vaccination? Hello, 90 year old Nursing Home Resident!
The people spreading fear about vaccines are the anti-vaxers, with their wildly exaggerated stories of vaccine adverse events.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Quote:

Don't be naive. There is nothing ironic or even coincidental about any of it, you simply have missed the point and/or trying to talk you way out of something that is very obvious if you understand what's going on.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
This article just came over my FB feed:
New Study Emphasizes Harm of Vaccine Refusals | University of Michigan

Old 05-10-2016, 07:42 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:

No, it would only be ironic if you came down with tetanus. That would be ironic. Just FYI, the risk of death from tetanus is greater in people over age 60 and there is no "natural" immunity to tetanus toxin.

Facts about Tetanus for Adults

Speaking of fear, why are you afraid of vaccines? I have asked several times and you never answer.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
IMO, not having your children vaccinated is negligence.

Yet some how sticking your kids in front of the TV all day to play video games isn't. Go figure.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The real poison is bacteria and viruses. I have no idea what you think you saw but take a look at what this looks like!

Figure 1 - Should Remaining Stockpiles of Smallpox Virus (Variola) Be Destroyed? - Volume 17, Number 4

That picture was taken in 1962. I don't think it counts now besides we know that you can't give a newborn vaccines.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:51 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, it would only be ironic if you came down with tetanus. That would be ironic. Just FYI, the risk of death from tetanus is greater in people over age 60 and there is no "natural" immunity to tetanus toxin.

Facts about Tetanus for Adults

Speaking of fear, why are you afraid of vaccines? I have asked several times and you never answer.
Fear? No. I choose to reject the entire package of medical intervention and treatment. Everything. Vaccines are just a very small aspect of it. I do not want you to take my Blood Pressure either. Clear enough? Doubt it. I am not about to get a shot in the arm for myself, or for anyone else. Other people can make their own choices. My Body, My Choice. This is why I support individual choice for vaccinations, etc., for whatever reasons a person may have.

Doctors and Nurses will never understand this by the very nature of their profession. You did not even get the irony of me cutting myself when discussing Tetanus shots. I thought it was funny actually. Don't be so serious. Life is too "short" to not laugh. That is not meant to be sarcastic either.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:11 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yet some how sticking your kids in front of the TV all day to play video games isn't. Go figure.
What do video games have to do with vaccination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
That picture was taken in 1962. I don't think it counts now besides we know that you can't give a newborn vaccines.
The point is that no one gets smallpox any more - because of vaccination. That's why we do not see babies that look like the one in that picture.

The only vaccine currently given to newborns is the hepatitis B vaccine.

Quote:
Fear? No. I choose to reject the entire package of medical intervention and treatment. Everything. Vaccines are just a very small aspect of it. I do not want you to take my Blood Pressure either. Clear enough? Doubt it. I am not about to get a shot in the arm for myself, or for anyone else. Other people can make their own choices. My Body, My Choice. This is why I support individual choice for vaccinations, etc., for whatever reasons a person may have.

Doctors and Nurses will never understand this by the very nature of their profession. You did not even get the irony of me cutting myself when discussing Tetanus shots. I thought it was funny actually. Don't be so serious. Life is too "short" to not laugh. That is not meant to be sarcastic either.
As I said, irony would be if you actually got tetanus. If you did, I assume you would not seek treatment for it.

There is no irony in your cutting yourself while we are discussing tetanus. I think the word you are looking for is coincidence.

Your inability to consider the effect that your vaccine refusal might have on other people, including children - even your own grandchildren - comes across as cold. It's no laughing matter.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What do video games have to do with vaccination?

The point is that no one gets smallpox any more - because of vaccination. That's why we do not see babies that look like the one in that picture.

The only vaccine currently given to newborns is the hepatitis B vaccine.

I'll let you figure the first one out. My point is that was in 1962 you can't compare that to what's going on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies