Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
ahhh, the grown up version of my dad can beat up your dad.
I'm not sure I'd use the term "grown up" in this instance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 06:39 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Equality is a myth. As the OP states, whoever has the gun is more equal than those who don't have the gun. Among the people that don't have the gun, the people who were born smarter are more equal than the people are are less intelligent. There are all sorts of other things that lead to inequality being unavoidable.

The concept of equality for all is one of the more interesting fairy tales we tell ourselves as a society.
The problem with the OP and his premise is that there will be another thread where his type will talk about how you can kill someone with a knife or hammer or car and attempt to equivocate these objects with a gun.

You know the "dead is dead" meme. We don't hear all this stuff about variations in physical prowess and such like we see on this thread.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Equality is a myth. As the OP states, whoever has the gun is more equal than those who don't have the gun. Among the people that don't have the gun, the people who were born smarter are more equal than the people are are less intelligent. There are all sorts of other things that lead to inequality being unavoidable.

The concept of equality for all is one of the more interesting fairy tales we tell ourselves as a society.

If I can reach out and touch evil at a 1000 yards with a .308 rifle and evil armed with and carrying a .45ACP pistol, I'd say evil is not equal to me. If evil demands to come on my property and does so without my consent, I can be sure to keep off my property.

Now, if we both have the same weapon, it is going to be fairly equal once the threat of evil arises.

Always have the bigger weapon, if someone wants to be evil. The odds fall in your favor.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:04 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If I can reach out and touch evil at a 1000 yards with a .308 rifle and evil armed with and carrying a .45ACP pistol, I'd say evil is not equal to me. If evil demands to come on my property and does so without my consent, I can be sure to keep off my property.

Now, if we both have the same weapon, it is going to be fairly equal once the threat of evil arises.

Always have the bigger weapon, if someone wants to be evil. The odds fall in your favor.
That is, if you are living in a world of paranoia, suspicion and hostility toward others. Most of us see using any weapon as a last resort to our safety, not our first resort.

I don't live in constant fear of someone 1000 yards away from me. Until I have reason to fear someone at that range, I will not. Fear is too damaging to a person's mentality to have that much of it as a continual presence in my life.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:51 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That is, if you are living in a world of paranoia, suspicion and hostility toward others. Most of us see using any weapon as a last resort to our safety, not our first resort.

I don't live in constant fear of someone 1000 yards away from me. Until I have reason to fear someone at that range, I will not. Fear is too damaging to a person's mentality to have that much of it as a continual presence in my life.
But, but, the whole firearm thingy goes back to just being an ego trip if you cannot effectively re-purpose your message using "FEAR".

It's not like they can justify the desire to carry around an inert chunk of metal 24/7 as a fashion statement....that would actually detract from the worthiness of it giving these sissies the gonads to function on a daily basis. Can you imagine a group of these dudes clustered in a mall comparing cammo patterns on their poly-glocks? Can you imagine the scorn from onlookers observing that display?

It would be akin to the average husband, with a glazed look in his eye, listening to a casual exchange between his wife and others over the relative merits of a Brahmin to a Dooney and Bourke purse in the gator pattern or simple buffed leather.

You just have to have a more crisis imperative message to occasion the actual carrying of a firearm in 2016 and the only one that fits the meme is FEAR of your own fellow citizens.

Stupid people have created the perfect Conundrum Paradox, Catch 22, Sword of Damocles, by championing that idiotic 2nd as the raison-d-etra and epitome of all freedoms. Now it's morphed into a situation where they feel enough fear of all those others who are similarly armed to the extent they all must be armed in a "mutually assured destruction" paradox.

Soon enough you'll all have your heads on a permanent 'threat' swivel like the taxi-cab bobble head dolls or the point man on patrol in Iraq, while trying to enjoy a simple sidewalk café coffee break.

Moronic!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

When you are armed with equal firepower as is evil, there isn't much to fear.
That is much better than disarming all the people, of the weapon they choose to defend themselves with.

I'd rather be prepared, than be without. You be you!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
But, but, the whole firearm thingy goes back to just being an ego trip if you cannot effectively re-purpose your message using "FEAR".

It's not like they can justify the desire to carry around an inert chunk of metal 24/7 as a fashion statement....that would actually detract from the worthiness of it giving these sissies the gonads to function on a daily basis. Can you imagine a group of these dudes clustered in a mall comparing cammo patterns on their poly-glocks? Can you imagine the scorn from onlookers observing that display?

It would be akin to the average husband, with a glazed look in his eye, listening to a casual exchange between his wife and others over the relative merits of a Brahmin to a Dooney and Bourke purse in the gator pattern or simple buffed leather.

You just have to have a more crisis imperative message to occasion the actual carrying of a firearm in 2016 and the only one that fits the meme is FEAR of your own fellow citizens.

Stupid people have created the perfect Conundrum Paradox, Catch 22, Sword of Damocles, by championing that idiotic 2nd as the raison-d-etra and epitome of all freedoms. Now it's morphed into a situation where they feel enough fear of all those others who are similarly armed to the extent they all must be armed in a "mutually assured destruction" paradox.

Soon enough you'll all have your heads on a permanent 'threat' swivel like the taxi-cab bobble head dolls or the point man on patrol in Iraq, while trying to enjoy a simple sidewalk café coffee break.

Moronic!

Nice story bro! What does it have to do, with being equally as strong as anyone else, no matter your stature.

If everyone was armed, the only fear you would have would be running your mouth.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:49 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Nice story bro! What does it have to do, with being equally as strong as anyone else, no matter your stature.

If everyone was armed, the only fear you would have would be running your mouth.
I don't get what you're saying here. That if everyone was armed smack talk would turn into a shoot out?
So that's why you need to make sure you have the largest weapon?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:52 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
The same gun.
Up to a certain point.

[but I get your point]

Old 05-06-2016, 09:17 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Yeah, that works so great.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2618098

I'd like to think that civility came form mutual respect for other people as humans, not from fear of instant lethal retaliation. If I were to find myself in a gorilla enclosure, I'd do my very best to not offend any of the inhabitants, but hardly out of a desire to be civil, much less out of respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies