Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 07:09 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm surprised they are rarely used by these mass shooters, especially something like the Saiga 12.
Saiga 12's aren't exceptionally reliable. They tend to jamb frequently. Magazines are big, heavy and clumsy too.

Most people really overstate the "spread" of a shotgun too. At typical engagement range of 7 yards, 00 buck will only spread to about 4 - 8 inches depending on barrel lenth and choke. ......hardly enough to hit multiple targets with one shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 07:09 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
I'm surprised they are rarely used by these mass shooters, especially something like the Saiga 12.
I was thinking the same thing.
The Saiga 12 is beyond fun to shoot.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:12 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It is a political term developed by anti-gun publicists to expand the category of "assault rifles"
Bingo.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Saiga 12's aren't exceptionally reliable. They tend to jamb frequently.
My understanding is many of the issues associated with the Saiga are either wrong ammo and/or modifications.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
My understanding is many of the issues associated with the Saiga are either wrong ammo and/or modifications.
Mine won't cycle unless I use high base loads. Low base doesn't cut it.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've seen many who love the question or difficulty defining assault weapons, in particular when it comes to banning the sale of such weapons. Occurs to me that one definition is any weapon that allows one person to do what this nut-with-a-gun did in Florida, though it seems he had more than just an AR-15...

ORLANDO, Fla. — A gunman killed 50 people and wounded 53 in a crowded gay nightclub in Orlando early Sunday, officials said, in the worst mass shooting slaughter in American history, and law enforcement officials called it an act of terrorism.

The gunman was Omar Mir Seddique Mateen, 29, an American citizen living in Port St. Lucie, Fla., federal law enforcement officials said.

The killer stormed the Pulse nightclub armed with an AR-15-style assault rifle

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/us...=top-news&_r=0
A rock, the solid mineral material forming part of the surface of the earth and other similar planets, exposed on the surface or underlying the soil or oceans, can be deemed an 'assault weapon'. So is a rolled up newspaper, if so desired.

ANYTHING can be deemed 'an assault weapon' if it is so used.
Let's put a ban on an inanimate object and see how well THAT works....

Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yes, I understand that you are talking about basing a theoretical ban on a mathematical formula that has no basis in reality.

This amounts to nothing more than progressive pocket pool and is just about as productive.

Why?

Because enforcement of that ban would require confiscation of the over 200 million weapons that would violate the parameters you are setting forth that are already in the hands of Americans.

Otherwise no one would buy the new "compliant" guns and the value all the "old" guns would skyrocket.

So.....what was your point again?
You are something like shooting at a moving target in a dust storm...

First you were going on about how nothing matters in light of what time it takes before the police arrive. I simply pointed out the issue was not about how long before police arrive but how quickly a nut case with a rapid fire weapon can kill so many people in such a short amount of time. Then you roped me in with all the rest I just couldn't understand, in typical gun enthusiast badge-of-honor fashion, knowing oh so macho about all variety of guns.

I understand all plenty well enough to recognize the futility of gun control in America. I also understand that the likes of what happened in Florida is going to be a part of life in America unlike anywhere else in the modern world. Much like cancer, there simply is no known cure...

Old 06-14-2016, 08:39 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
I was listening to Michael Smerconish, a doltish quisling host on POTUS Sirius radio. He ran with the assault rifle aspect which was safest so as not to offend his listeners. He posed the question of if it was a fully automatic weapon or just how much worse the carnage would have been if it was. Hypothetical and not factually oriented, but he did elicit a few responses from those marginally familiar with firearms. Had the weapon been fully automatic, the death count might have been LOWER, contrary to his callers suggestions. Rapid automatic fire would concentrate fire in a smaller area and for a shorter period at a specific target. Or he'd just spray fire randomly with aiming being more difficult. Semi automatic fire can be extremely fast or as slow and deliberate as the shooter desires. With a pistol being easier to aim at close range.
Not to mention that pistols could be far more easily concealed than an assault rifle.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:39 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Oh? Bring some statistics that TSA has accomplished anything other than providing employment for people who enjoy patting down strangers. Meanwhile, check this out...

TSA Still Hasn

Pilot: Is TSA security a complete failure? - CNN.com

Does the TSA ever catch terrorists?

TSA Spent $900 Million on Behavior Detection Officers Who Detected 0 Terrorists
Funny. Like the TSA is going to catch a terrorist. Maybe a real dumb one perhaps.

Oops. I should have known my gun and bomb would be detected in that metal detector. Should have seen that coming...

Not sure what statistics would make a difference to someone making a comment like this, but sure seems to me we've enjoyed marked improvement lately as compared to pre-9/11 times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...aft_hijackings

I can think of worse use of our tax-payer dollars than providing employment for people who help reduce the ways for terrorists to bring down planes.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:47 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I was listening to Michael Smerconish, a doltish quisling host on POTUS Sirius radio. He ran with the assault rifle aspect which was safest so as not to offend his listeners. He posed the question of if it was a fully automatic weapon or just how much worse the carnage would have been if it was. Hypothetical and not factually oriented, but he did elicit a few responses from those marginally familiar with firearms. Had the weapon been fully automatic, the death count might have been LOWER, contrary to his callers suggestions. Rapid automatic fire would concentrate fire in a smaller area and for a shorter period at a specific target. Or he'd just spray fire randomly with aiming being more difficult. Semi automatic fire can be extremely fast or as slow and deliberate as the shooter desires. With a pistol being easier to aim at close range.
Not to mention that pistols could be far more easily concealed than an assault rifle.
I have to agree. Ultimately the bans will have to include any weapon which allows you to dump a spent magazines and rapidly reload. Meaning standard pistols from the GI 45 with its standard 7 round magazines on up. But if that happens then something like the GI Garand M1 with its ejecting clip will just reappear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies