Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:14 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh boy, from the article

There’s a massive spring here in the stock that absorbs quite a bit of the recoil. There’s also, by design, a gas system that takes a lot of the gas from the firing of each bullet, and it evaporates it, so that when each bullet is fired, that gas and that recoil isn’t coming back on the shoulder each time, but it’s actually in the rifle in a more constructive manner.
Good god, are they really that frickin' clueless?

BTW, I have to wonder about another term the anti-gun nutjobs keep throwing around as if they know what they are talking about. "Military Grade" weapons? Just WTF is that supposed to mean? "Military grade" just means it was built by the lowest bidder. Many civilian firearms are built to higher standards of fit, accuracy and even durability than those used by the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 01:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

BTW, I have to wonder about another term the anti-gun nutjobs keep throwing around as if they know what they are talking about. "Military Grade" weapons? Just WTF is that supposed to mean? "Military grade" just means it was built by the lowest bidder. Many civilian firearms are built to higher standards of fit, accuracy and even durability than those used by the military.
Didn't you hear, the new f-150's are military grade as well.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:43 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:

I think "military grade" means graduated high school, though not necessarily...

Old 06-15-2016, 03:54 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:

Ain't that the truth. I asked for an M-14 when I got overseas caused I figured the bad ones had been weeded out. The M-16s seemed to be junk at that point. I know they jammed too easy for my taste.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Jim Sullivan the designer of the AR-15 and several other guns was interviewed by HBO on real Sports last month.
Some really significant comments on the AR-15.

Quote:
DAVID SCOTT: “Did you ever imagine—“
JIM SULLIVAN: “No. Never even considered that—it had any civilian application.”
DAVID SCOTT: “Concern you at all?”
JIM SULLIVAN: “Of course, everybody gets concerned when there’s one of these school issues where children are killed by an AR-15. I mean, that’s sickening. But that was never the intended purpose. Civilian sales was never the intended purpose.
Breaking: Jim Sullivan, AR-15 Designer, Makes Some Controversial Statements on HBO Tonight - The Firearm Blog

Quote:
On the segment, Sullivan is quoted saying, the AR-15 is "more lethal than any cartridge that was fired by any army in history," omitting this key phrase from Sullivan:

"… when firing semi-auto only."
Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/gun-inventor-hbo-bryant-gumbel/2016/05/31/id/731584/#ixzz4Bgwaq4Bx

Old 06-16-2016, 10:18 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Capacity doesn't make a difference. Very little time difference between using 6 rd magazines and 12 rd. Even tests have shown, a revolver can be fired almost as fast and reloaded as fast.
"a revolver can be fired almost as fast and reloaded as fast."

I've seen a video where a shooter fired a revolver FASTER then a semi-auto pistol.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
JOHN YANG: The NRA says it’s America’s most popular rifle, used legally and safely by millions of people. A lawyer for victims’ families says it’s the gold standard for mass murder of innocent civilians.

The AR-15 has been used in some of the nation’s worst mass shootings, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, an Oregon community college, and now an Orlando gay club.

To learn more about the rifle, its popularity among gun enthusiasts and its place in American culture, we went to a Northern Virginia gun range to speak with former Deputy Assistant Defense Secretary Phillip Carter, himself a gun owner, who knows the AR-15 well from his service as an Army officer.

Why is this weapon so popular?

It
lmao....Wasn't the AR in the trunk of Lanza's car and never used in CT? Mateen didn't even own an AR, it was a different gun. People are such ignorant sheep.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:39 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
On the segment, Sullivan is quoted saying, the AR-15 is "more lethal than any cartridge that was fired by any army in history,"

LMAO!!!!!!!! This is hysterical..That quote just has to be made up. An AR-15 is not a cartridge!!!! Also, it is NOT more lethal of a weapon than one that fires 308, 30.06, 45, 7.62, etc. even at semi auto. The AR WAS intended for civilian use. Besides AR is just the BRAND name Armalite which makes other weapons also. Those quotes in post #45 are just pure ****ing bull****.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Jim Sullivan the designer of the AR-15 and several other guns was interviewed by HBO on real Sports last month.
Some really significant comments on the AR-15.

Breaking: Jim Sullivan, AR-15 Designer, Makes Some Controversial Statements on HBO Tonight - The Firearm Blog

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/gun-inventor-hbo-bryant-gumbel/2016/05/31/id/731584/#ixzz4Bgwaq4Bx
And here is Sullivan's response to what HBO aired. Seems they took a few liberties, but what else is new? At the end of this article he states, "As I wrote in the comments of my original article, I have turned down many interview requests for TV and radio. I turn them down because I am not trained in television interview techniques, specifically how to deal with a hostile interviewer."

BREAKING: Jim Sullivan Responds, He is NOT Anti-Civilian AR-15, HBO Selectively Edited the Interview - The Firearm Blog

Old 06-16-2016, 11:02 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
JOHN YANG: The NRA says it’s America’s most popular rifle, used legally and safely by millions of people. A lawyer for victims’ families says it’s the gold standard for mass murder of innocent civilians.

The AR-15 has been used in some of the nation’s worst mass shootings, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, an Oregon community college, and now an Orlando gay club.

To learn more about the rifle, its popularity among gun enthusiasts and its place in American culture, we went to a Northern Virginia gun range to speak with former Deputy Assistant Defense Secretary Phillip Carter, himself a gun owner, who knows the AR-15 well from his service as an Army officer.

Why is this weapon so popular?

It
Editor’s note: This story focused on the AR-15 rifle, which was the weapon used in several recent mass shootings. Orlando law enforcement officials initially said this was the same gun type used in the Pulse nightclub shooting, but later clarified that the Orlando shooter was using a Sig Sauer MCX. The Sig Sauer MCX is a rifle with several similarities to the AR 15-style and was originally designed for use by U.S. special operation forces. The NewsHour regrets the confusion.​

Me too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies