Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 04:40 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
These are Sullivan's comments, pretty clear what he stated but they did not include his comment "when firing Semi-auto only"

Breaking: Jim Sullivan, AR-15 Designer, Makes Some Controversial Statements on HBO Tonight - The Firearm Blog

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/gun-inventor-hbo-bryant-gumbel/2016/05/31/id/731584/#ixzz4Bgwaq4Bx
He say it was edited to change what he meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 04:41 PM

57,318 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
"Need" is a poor metric, I think we both understand that.

As for those other criteria, I'm willing to listen, but if you use number of rounds, weight, lack of recoil, etc. as your metric, it will include A LOT more that just what most people consider "an assault rifle".

To simply say that a semi-automatic rifle, capable of holding 30 rds, that is relatively light, of a certain caliber is OK for civilians to own is a FAR cry from saying that "everything belongs on the market". Anyone who is being unemotional can recognize that.
Yes "needs" is subjective but in terms of recent history why would this weapon be needed or allowed in on the commercial market. If you read through the design and saw real life consequence it takes a toll, small hole going in rather small diameter but it is designed to tumble and inflict great damage to the enemy. If you read through the comments by Sullivan he states the same.

All I was stating is that if military equipment that meets those criteria is allowed on the market then where do you draw the line.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
He say it was edited to change what he meant.
I showed you in the link what was changed or left out, if you have more then provide a link.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:46 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Yes "needs" is subjective but in terms of recent history why would this weapon be needed or allowed in on the commercial market. If you read through the design and saw real life consequence it takes a toll, small hole going in rather small diameter but it is designed to tumble and inflict great damage to the enemy. If you read through the comments by Sullivan he states the same.

All I was stating is that if military equipment that meets those criteria is allowed on the market then where do you draw the line.
The tumbling bullet by design was pure bologna. The original design was for .308 which had a completely different BC and SD than the .223. As a result they got the twist rate wrong for the agreed upon bullet weight. You do realize a tumbling bullet (key hole) means it has become unstable and acts the same as a curve ball. Who would invent something intended to not hit something?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...bling%20bullet

Old 06-16-2016, 04:46 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
A single shot .223 bolt action rifle shoots the same round as the AR & M16.
Saying the AR is just as lethal means nothing.

The round is no argument when the Left is arguing delivery system which many "sporting rifles" are identical in being semi auto.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:55 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
no
Yes.

"If I could’ve gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them — Mr. and Mrs. America turn ’em all in — I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren’t here."

Dem Senator Diane Fienstein

Old 06-16-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The tumbling bullet by design was pure bologna. The original design was for .308 which had a completely different BC and SD than the .223. As a result they got the twist rate wrong for the agreed upon bullet weight. You do realize a tumbling bullet (key hole) means it has become unstable and acts the same as a curve ball. Who would invent something intended to not hit something?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...bling%20bullet
I am quoting the designers of the AR-15 who also examined the outcomes, have you seen the results.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A reminder here. A "BAN" doesn't actually ban anything. A ban means parameters on what can be sold currently. Gun makers immediately make adjustments to be able to sell what is , pretty much, the same weapon. A "BAN" doesn't take existing ARs, AKs, etc out of people's hands and off the streets so any criminal that really wanted one could either buy it from someone or steal it.

A ban affects law abiding citizens, no more no less. I have assault weapons, as dumb as that term is from the original "BAN". I wasn't banned from using it and I didn't have to turn it in. Any new ban would work exactly the same and it's just plain......old.......stupid.
"If I could’ve gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them — Mr. and Mrs. America turn ’em all in — I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren’t here.

Sen. Fienstein.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
A wood chipper has other functions as opposed to killing people and a wood chipper doesn't actually kill people, just disposal. When did a wood chipper kill 20 people.
DUH!

Guns have OTHER uses then killing.

The fact that you DON'T know that says VOLUMES about your lack of knowledge on guns.

Have you ever watched the Winter Olympics?

The guns are SPECIFICALLY made for the SPORT of shooting during the Cross County race where they stop and shoot TARGETS.

Thousands of people do sport shooting and have fired tens of thousands of bullets who have NEVER hunted a day in the lives nor killed ANYBODY.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:05 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
It's time for a massive increase on the cost of ammunition. Tax the hell out of it.

Just like cigarettes; where I live they cost $6/pack, and they are the no-name brands. I'm sure the actual cost is $2/pack. Four dollars tax.

Cigarettes only affect the user.

Ammunition affects multiple people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies