Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You've been provided many links to this & other relevant data that you childishly dismiss or ignore when its not to your liking.

I'll submit that my opinion is if even one person uses a gun to save himself then its enough to override the theoretical but never materializing crime stopping effects of gun control.

Tell you what. You explain to me why DC's murder rate is higher than the places you say your murderers buy their guns from, even metropolitan areas of those states & I'll provide links to data that you will dismiss.
Link to a credible source that there are 2 million legitimate cases of the use of a firearm in self defense per year, please.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
As an army officer, I never carried a weapon, even in combat. I think that the only legitimate reason for an officer to carry a weapon is to shoot himself with it.
Army officers, serving in combat zones such as Afganistan, do carry weapons. This is a fact.

NCO's serving in combat zones such as Afganistan (and Iraq), do carry weapons. This is a fact

Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
So you've decided "Wendell having guns is okay"? Why?
Wendell appears to have hunting rifles and shotguns. I think they are fine. He also seems to keep them safe, when not hunting. Yeah I think Wendell's not why so many people die from guns in this country. I'm impressed that Wendell didn't carry a sidearm when in combat. Guy obviously has good nerves. His men must have really respected him.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
The Second Amendment stands for the right of the people to keep and bear arms, which is granted to the states in the context of the maintenance of a "well regulated Militia." The only thing the gun lobby stands for is an unregulated band of fools - worse, fools with guns!
Ahh, so we have another man who served a country that he doesn't believe in.

Read the constitution & show me where or how it can grant rights. It protects rights but doesnt grant anything & in the case of the second it clearly states that the PEOPLE have a right to keep & bear arms so that a state can form a well regulated militia.

Quote:
If you feel that you need a gun to be safe, then you shall never be safe; and, likewise, if you feel that you need a gun to be free, then you shall never be free. For our freedoms are not guaranteed by force of arms, but rather by force of will of "We the People."
I dont think its as much a matter of needing a gun to be safe, but rather wanting a gun to be safer. As far as the free part your cute little statement is hollow. Simply put, if your npot free, your not free.

Our freedoms are certainly guarenteed to a large degree by force of arms. Its how we attained them & how we protect them militarily.

That you never carred as an officer is a personal choice. But disregarding the thought that it is a useful tool for an officer that leads from the front is pretty silly. It does however shed some light on your elitist attitude.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Link to a credible source that there are 2 million legitimate cases of the use of a firearm in self defense per year, please.

Find it yourself. A guy named Lott did that study. The studies by our Gov't come in between tens of thousands & hundreds of thousands. In any event any study you find, should you decide to seek out the truth, shows that they are used overwhelmingly more often to prevent crimes & save lives than they are used for illegal killings.

Link to why DC is a bloodbath please?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Wendell appears to have hunting rifles and shotguns. I think they are fine. He also seems to keep them safe, when not hunting. Yeah I think Wendell's not why so many people die from guns in this country. I'm impressed that Wendell didn't carry a sidearm when in combat. Guy obviously has good nerves. His men must have really respected him.
So your ok with guns that are locked up? Funny that the law you support would require him to also dissasemble them & not assemble them until he left the juristiction. Its a felony in your city to put a rifle together & carry it from one room to another.

You sure you aint John Kerry?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 AM

415 posts, read 610,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
We dont have a king.
On the other hand, the second amendment is so ambiguous it could mean that an individual has the right to keep and bear any type of weapon used in combat.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 AM

415 posts, read 610,878 times
Quote:
Earth to Flash. The government's been legislating restrictions on "arms" since the earliest days of the country.
How does that change the fact that the Constitution grants the government no power to legislate regarding firearms?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:28 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
No. The Second Amendment does not grant any rights; it protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms as the law provides.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
...as the law provides.
I don't see that disclaimer in the Second Amendment's wording.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.