Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:13 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Some facts:

The percent of US households owning guns decreased from from 50% in the 1970s to around 31% in 2014, with only 22% of individual adults actually owning these guns today. In 1970 there were about 150 million guns in the US. Now there are around 300 million. This means that the gun owning minority has many more guns per person today than they did in 1970.

It is reasonable to assume that radical gun rights activists are an even smaller subset of that 22%. I believe that many of that 22% are just like me - they have a shotgun or a .22 rifle in the closet that they used once upon a time to hunt squirrels or rabbits. Shells are around here somewhere, lol.

What's the point? Even though the NRA and gun activists are loud and demonstrative, realize that they are a minority. They may only represent 15% of the adult population, but they are a gold mine to the firearms industry. In the USA of 2016, any dollar is a good dollar - just ask the NRA and their lobbyists and the legislators they have purchased.

Some more puzzling facts about Americans, regarding gun control laws:

85% are in favor of background checks at gun shows
79% favor laws to prevent mentally ill from buying guns
70% favor a Federal database to track guns
57% favor a ban on assault weapons

Just some things to ponder.

Sources: Pew Research Center; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; Cato Institute; National Research Council among others.

just so you know, I would never trust anything that comes out of f-troop.

firearm owners for the most part know that there is no such thing as an assault weapon.
there is no such thing as no background checks at gun shows, all firearms bought at gun shows from dealers have background check done or they are breaking federal law.

from the information on the % that you provided, it sounds like the sound bites from VPC, the federal government or from the liberal side of the aisle.

lastly, remember this. you are responsible for your own safety and self defense, the police do not even have to answer any 911 call when you or someone your know or love call for help.

if you ever have chance to do anything if someone is breaking into your home to commit felonies upon your person or your family, it is up to you to stop them and not the police, as the police are not even required to come to your aid, and even when they do, they are there to write down the facts of the crime after the crime has already been committed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 08:33 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
just so you know, I would never trust anything that comes out of f-troop.

firearm owners for the most part know that there is no such thing as an assault weapon.
there is no such thing as no background checks at gun shows, all firearms bought at gun shows from dealers have background check done or they are breaking federal law.

from the information on the % that you provided, it sounds like the sound bites from VPC, the federal government or from the liberal side of the aisle.

lastly, remember this. you are responsible for your own safety and self defense, the police do not even have to answer any 911 call when you or someone your know or love call for help.

if you ever have chance to do anything if someone is breaking into your home to commit felonies upon your person or your family, it is up to you to stop them and not the police, as the police are not even required to come to your aid, and even when they do, they are there to write down the facts of the crime after the crime has already been committed.

That is not true at all, yes there is a gun show loophole.

Quote:
1. Federally licensed gun sellers are required to run background checks. But not all sellers are required to be licensed. Some of those unlicensed sellers sell at gun shows

PolitiFact Sheet: 3 things to know about the 'gun show loophole' | PolitiFact

Old 07-10-2016, 08:43 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
70% favor a Federal database to track guns
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 07-10-2016, 08:56 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Whoops! Missed the part where you had any basis for challenging these facts? Have some sources for your statement? Or just hyperbole?
Funny I did NOT see a link to YOUR source.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Another interesting statistic. Black households are far less likely to own a gun than white households. Only about 15% of black adults own guns.
" Only about 15% of black adults own guns"

Maybe because they gave become too expensive for many blacks purchase them.

If the CAN'T to pay for their own housing and food how are they going to afford to buy a gun?

P.S. Before the racists jump in, this is in NO way an attack on blacks.

My post applies to ALL people who are poor.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yep.

I think more blacks should own guns, since I believe they have a greater chance of being victimized, statistically speaking.

Back in the Jim Crow south, the KKK and local "law enforcement " didn't want black people armed because it gave them more power to protect themselves. The last thing you want when terrorizing another person is for that person to be armed.

It's too bad KKK members weren't gunned down when they were lighting the homes and churches of black people on fire.
"It's too bad KKK members weren't gunned down..." Then dems would never have had on of their heroes, Sen. Byrd!

Old 07-10-2016, 09:24 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

[/b]

PolitiFact doesn't understand the process. Maybe you and the president don't understand the process either.

Quote:
Announced Jan. 5, Obama’s plan requires those in the business of dealing in firearms -- including sellers at stores, gun shows and on the Internet -- get a license. Once they’re licensed, they are required to conduct background checks on all buyers.

But private sellers without a federal license don’t have to meet the same requirement. Though this exception is often referred to as the "gun show loophole," it actually applies more broadly to unlicensed individuals, whether they are selling at a gun show or somewhere else. (Some states have implemented their own background check requirement beyond federal law.)
Everyone in the business of dealing in firearms is already required to have a license. There is a guy a few blocks from me who works out of his home, has no storefront, not even a website, but he brings in guns from wholesalers and sells them to earn money, several a month. He also sells at guns shows. He has a federal license, and is required to have it, and he is required to run background checks on all buyers. Nobody in the business of selling guns can sell them legally at gun shows without a license.

Anyone who thinks Obama's plan says anything new on that aspect simply doesn't know what he's talking about.

Individuals who are selling their own personal guns do not have to make background checks today, and Obama's plan does not change that, either, even if they go to a gun show to sell their own personal guns.

The gray area would be in someone without a license who, say, buys guns new at retail price (because a wholesaler would require him to have a license) and keeps them for some time and then sells them as used. Guns retain enough value that sometimes that guy might make a few bucks now and then, but in general, buying at retail and selling used is not going to be a profitable business.

But as I've already mentioned, in order to cut through that gray area, the law would have to require every private person selling his own gun to have the power to run background checks on everyone else. There would be hundreds of thousands of individuals running FBI background checks on anyone they wanted.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:

[/b]

private sellers are not firearms dealers. if those people wanted to, they could walk out the door of a gun show and sell their firearms to another person from the trunk of their car.

that takes that argument away right there.

they are not licensed firearms dealers.

also, try another link, the politifact is nothing more than a liberal mouthpiece.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I live in a "gun household", but they are not mine but my husband's. If someone were to call me on the phone and ask me, I would say Yes there are guns in my home. How many? More than one, but the exact number, what kind, I have no idea. They are in a safe which I do not go into or know the combination to. I could care less about the guns other than that they are locked up and away from me.

Why do these polls, and posters here, just assume that everyone in a gun household has the same views?
first off NEVER tell anyone that you own guns. or at least avoid telling them, especially if they are calling on the phone. you should tell them it is none of their business if you own guns or not. the less people know about what you own, the better for you.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:13 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:

[/b]

Goodnight, you have been arguing against the Constitution for a long time and you still don't know there is no such thing as "gun show loophole"?

Either you are just that ignorant or you are being completely disingenuous and unethical.

The so called "unlicensed sellers" actually means you and me, private sellers or citizens, including all non-federal licensed legal gun owners.

The "gun show loophole" they are referring to is just private sales, buying and selling guns between legal gun owners such as friends and families, not as a business. It happens everywhere from parking lots to someone's home not just in gun shows.

What the liberal liars want to do is to stop all private sales and transactions, meaning if you want leave a gun to your son after you die, your son needs to go through a background check.

That aside. Please tell me you understand the whole background check is ridiculous beyond belief, not to mention the government almost never goes after those who are denied to purchase a gun, a federal offense punishable for 10 years and $100,000.

Why should we allow someone illegible to purchase firearm to walk around among us? Do we think those people are just so stupid that they can't think of any other way to commit evil without a gun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies