Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:17 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I don't think people should be judged by how they dress. We all wear what we think looks good on us.
Unlike skin color and a few other things, such as age, clothing is a choice. How you choose to dress is a way of you telling every person you encounter who you think you are. Judging people based on what they choose to wear is very fair. I think it is perfectly reasonable of me to assume a person, who thinks dressing like a thug makes them look good, is more likely to be a thug than someone who thinks dressing in a business suit makes them look good.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

There are friend,y and unfriendly people everywhere.
OK, I was playing off stereotypes. OP still did not explain what he expected with the "Upcoming race war".

IMO most of us actually get along fairly well. It's the militants that the media loves to highlight.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
I don't think people should be judged by how they dress. We all wear what we think looks good on us.
Attire is not a protected class.

People tend to make instant value judgments about others based on their attire.

Pants hanging below the buttocks

Substantial Tats

Substantial Piercings

Turbans

Burquas

Hijabs

The " people at Walmart" pics ( too tight, too skimpy, too, too, too)

Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
I've never blamed all whites or cops for anything

No, but there are too many that do unfortunately.

I should add that there are those that likely do not think this but speak in these terms unwittingly by generalizing.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 07-11-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 06:29 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
As Oldhag1 pointed-out. People most-certainly do judge you based on how you dress, and that isn't a bad thing.

Think of it like you walked into a job interview, how are you going to dress? Why? For that matter, if you were the one doing the interview, what might you expect from your potential future employee?

The way someone dresses tells you a lot about who they are. People who dress like idiots, in the vast-majority of cases, are idiots.

In the most-extreme case I can imagine. Think if someone had a tattoo on their face. Would you want to hire them to be your lawyer? Or to be your family physician?

My sister joked about how, when my nephew was graduating, quite a few law-school graduates had "gauges" in their ears. And she wondered what they were going to do about the massive holes in their ears, once they began practicing law.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:35 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Quote:
But, nope, business as usual. They still smile at me in passing and say "Hi there buddy" or "how's your day going?"...as if our nation isn't flirting with a race war.
Realize that might be a good thing. When people stop looking at each other by color of the skin we all will be living in a better society. Those treating you the same like you mentioned are people that think that way already. I don't see the need to treat a black person differently because I always respect and treat all people who show respect to others that way. The saying treat others the way you want them to treat you is a great motto to live by.

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
People dress to convey some sort of message about themselves. We all do that, even if it's subconsciously.

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
You portray what you are. You show up with a grill, meth mouth, pants sagging, gang colors or tee shirt (I do so love that), reeking of cigarette smoke, and talk like you never graduated elementary school you get judged by how you present yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what you are saying one should be biassed on dress? have to look and talk like you? wear bow tie? looking at those marches/ protests during he 60's men wore suit jackets? if it were NOT for movies saying a thug wear a tattoo on his forehead- he might be a Hawaiian
What are you talking about? No one said suit and tie. Nice putting your own assertions on me, biased much? See above.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:37 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
But, nope, business as usual. They still smile at me in passing and say "Hi there buddy" or "how's your day going?"...as if our nation isn't flirting with a race war.
I don't know where you live and why you would expect that, but if either race treated the other differently following an incident, Chicago would shut down.

Having said that, we both know somewhere some idiot will treat the next guy differently, just as some do to American Muslims following one of those incidents. I especially love when some moron tells them to go back to where they came from. Uhhhh.....they came from the United States. They were born here.

I don't think there's a race war going on. I purposely stayed away from all news this weekend. Is this bit about race war something the media is trying to feed everyone?

Some black men have gone rogue, to protest some cops who have done the same, but that's not a race war.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:38 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Whites were also protesting and blacks were also cops. This boils down to more than race. It's also about cops and the way which they approach people. I also believe when a cop pulls you over don't shoot off your mouth and say crazy things. Cops are also licensed to kill if you go off the rails. Don't be a dead fool. They're are good cops just as there's good protesters. Let's all use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies