Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
But, nope, business as usual. They still smile at me in passing and say "Hi there buddy" or "how's your day going?"...as if our nation isn't flirting with a race war.
so let me get this straight, you actually WANT to be treated differently? and all this time, I thought you wanted to be treated the same as anybody else.

please enlighten us as to what is the appropriate way to treat black people?

I hope you find it in your heart to persevere after being smiled at. The struggle is real

Old 07-11-2016, 08:00 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Talk about a broad brush.

29 million Texans say hello to strangers while 20 million New Yorkers are more inclined to say FU?

There are friend,y and unfriendly people everywhere.
I'll go along with that. Stand on the street looking like a confused tourist in New York and someone will ask if they can help. New Yorkers are misjudged a lot, I think.

I have found people to be very helpful everywhere, even when I was lost in Mexico.

I have noticed that in times of national crises like 9/11 and even last week, we White folks and Black folks are a little more careful around each other in that we trade greetings more often. As in, "Hi. You ain't gonna hurt me, are you?" Living in an area where the race mix is 60/40 actually helps me to understand the problems, I think.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:07 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm glad that has been your experience. When I heard about the Dallas situation, the one thing that stuck out in my mind was that the police were there not only to keep the peace, but to protect the protesters from getting hurt in traffic. As much as we overlook it, LEO are generally putting their lives on the line to keep the rest of us safe.

Not all blacks are bad, and neither are all police officers. It is a shame that so many people see others of each group as the enemy. Maybe you should take your experience and make it grow by discussing this with other blacks and whites in your area. I bet it would be very beneficial and might start a trend. Open dialog is a great thing.

Don

It really is as simple as this. It's not and never has been an 'either/or' situation - despite the fact that many on either side would like to paint it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Whites were also protesting and blacks were also cops. This boils down to more than race. It's also about cops and the way which they approach people. I also believe when a cop pulls you over don't shoot off your mouth and say crazy things. Cops are also licensed to kill if you go off the rails. Don't be a dead fool. They're are good cops just as there's good protesters. Let's all use common sense.
So true. Maybe officers and public alike could use a little training on how to engage one another. It also goes far behind just bad cops and traffic stops. It goes to police being forced to use their citizens as a revenue source. It goes to the privatization of the prison system - where the prison must be guaranteed a number of inmates; it goes back 200 years; it goes to training of the officers; it goes to education in poor communities so that folks can get jobs . . .

Old 07-11-2016, 08:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
But, nope, business as usual. They still smile at me in passing and say "Hi there buddy" or "how's your day going?"...as if our nation isn't flirting with a race war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, I totally get where the OP is coming from. After the riots that happened a couple of years ago, an older black man came into work and while I was helping him he started to talk. He told me he was so ashamed of what blacks were doing and that he felt like all blacks were being portrayed like that. I told him not to worry, most of us realize that it is only a certain percentage, and that we whites have our share of idiots too. He smiled, and said "thank you."

I think the OP just felt there would be some resentment toward all blacks after Dallas.

Don
I was born and raised in Dallas and apart from some time spent in college and abroad, I've lived a good portion of my adult life here too. Racial politics has always been an issue here, or has been simmering just below the surface (especially in the school district).

People who were racists before are racists today. People who felt #blacklivesmatter before still feel the same today. People who blame black people for their own situation before still blame them for it today. And people who felt the police were racist thugs before still feel the same way today.

I haven't seen "hearts and minds" change either way after the shootings. About the only visible effect is a bunch of blue ribbons tied around trees and street signs all over the place. That's about it.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
For a bunch of racists they sure are stupid letting non whites outnumber them in their own Nations.
I see that you are trying to be inflammatory.

I raised five kids through their teen years. I am immune to this particular tactic. Knock yourself out though - since you're not acting out in my house.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
That's the irony of my OP, bro. Hell, just read most of the responses in this thread.

Believe me, I know where we stand.
What does this mean?

Should I be skeptical of the two AA men who helped us in the shoe department? Or should I take their attitudes at face value?

Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,208,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What does this mean?

Should I be skeptical of the two AA men who helped us in the shoe department? Or should I take their attitudes at face value?

Glad you caught that too.

Of course we should be skeptical of any AA men who are actually working, right?

Old 07-11-2016, 08:20 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Why would we treat you differently? If you put on thug - wear and act like an ass, yeah. Regular folks acting normally not dressed like you just came from a drive by will probably get treated the same as always
Amen.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:22 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,801 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this: exactly what were you expecting? A punch in the face? A hug? Are you acting any differently towards white people?

SOME black people use a brush to paint ALL white people the same is no different than SOME white people using a brush to paint ALL black people the same. See how that works?

Old 07-11-2016, 08:22 AM

“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

C.S. Lewis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies