Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Just going to wear body armor around you like I do when I'm in Detroit, otherwise, all is good.
And I got my freedom papers on me just in case you try anything.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
And I got my freedom papers on me just in case you try anything.

I'll say it again since you didn't answer me the first time:

Are you skeptical of the response you've received from white folks since the shootings? Should I be skeptical of the attitude of the AA men I was talking to the other day?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
As soon as they pass by they calling you ****** so you are wrong they arent treating you differently. Exactly the same as they been treating the black race for half a millenia.
Are you a mind reader?

Seems to me most folk are preoccupied with themselves to notice let alone remark about a passerby.

I am not denying racism has been and remains palatable in the US.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:41 AM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, I just don't get that vibe.

I live in Texas, which is one of four majority/minority states in the US. That means that white, non-Hispanics make up less that 50 percent of the population. This is obvious to me as I go about my daily business if I go to any place of business.

I feel completely safe. But who knows - maybe I really just live in LaLa Land.

That being said, the entire US is projected (via birth and migration rates) to be majority/minority by 2043 and minority kids are already now the majority in ten states (and three of those ten states have some of the highest overall populations in the US).

Something to think about.
We here in the big states already know what it's going to be like in a few years, and that it isn't going to be the end of the world. We like the diversity. I wonder what it will be like when people in Minnesota or Iowa suddenly start noticing that there's a lot of people of different ethnicities and races all the sudden. It hit me like that one time. I was just standing in a Walmart and noticed that I was just about the only white person there. There were East Asians, Asian Indians, Middle Easterners, and of course we've always had a lot of black and Hispanic people. It didn't bother me, it just occurred to me suddenly is all. I would say it's just the area I live, but really it's all over the city of Houston and the suburbs.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:43 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Talk about a broad brush.

29 million Texans say hello to strangers while 20 million New Yorkers are more inclined to say FU?

There are friend,y and unfriendly people everywhere.
Sounds like someone gets all their info from TV and movies, doesn't it?

You see that pretty frequently on the NYC forum...people who visit the city for the first time and then are shocked to find so many people were friendly.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
As soon as they pass by they calling you ****** so you are wrong they arent treating you differently. Exactly the same as they been treating the black race for half a millenia.
What an incredibly stupid thing to say. If you believe this for real, then you're a big part of the problem of divisiveness in this country.

Yup, there are racists, as we all know, but here's a news flash you must have missed over the past several decades: Most white people don't give a rats ass if you're black or not. Or even notice most of the time.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I don't think people should be judged by how they dress. We all wear what we think looks good on us.
I'll treat you better if you don't have a man bun.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Let me ask you this: exactly what were you expecting? A punch in the face? A hug? Are you acting any differently towards white people?

SOME black people use a brush to paint ALL white people the same is no different than SOME white people using a brush to paint ALL black people the same. See how that works?
Yup. Take people as individuals, it's the only way.

I had a good reminder of this some years ago. Went into a deli I hadn't been in before. Two black guys and an Asian girl working. Two black customers in the store plus white me. Well, even though I was first at the register, the black guy behind the counter waited on the black customers first and only when I was the only one left did they weigh my salad and let me pay. The little Asian girl just kept looking at me apologetically but she looked too afraid to open her mouth. I knew what their game was. They were gonna SHOW this white lady that they were pissed for being dumped on by other white people in whatever way they felt dumped upon blah blah blah. It was completely trashy behavior, and I considered dumping my salad and walking out, but that would have likely just ramped up the jollies they were getting over disrespecting me. I paid and walked out, but I was pissed and of course never going to return there.

As I walked down the street not thinking particularly kindly of people of color, a black woman approached me and smiled and said, "Excuse me. You have some cash sticking out of your jacket pocket. Better be careful--someone could snatch it." I thanked her, but even better, it cleared my anger and reminded me not to dislike someone for what others have done.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:13 AM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Why would we treat you differently? If you put on thug - wear and act like an ass, yeah. Regular folks acting normally not dressed like you just came from a drive by will probably get treated the same as always
Yeah, accept that a few weeks ago at the mall, 3 thuggish looking Black men were working toward me, and what I got was, "Hello sir. How are you today."

Old 07-11-2016, 11:15 AM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
...Maybe you should take your experience and make it grow by discussing this with other blacks and whites in your area. I bet it would be very beneficial and might start a trend. Open dialog is a great thing.

Don
Just curious. I assume you're White. Do you actively make an effort to have such discussions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies