Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:08 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am white/Japanese/Hawaiian. I spent several years in Japan and Germany and I really didn't experience any types of racism. I loved both countries very very much, maybe not as much as I love America, but I think both are great countries.

Well, I was born in Oklahoma city, and was raised in Newport Beach, california. Because of my brother's 8 years military career, I can honestly say that I "grew up" with a lot of Marines. They are mostly white countries boys, couple of them are southern black boys. My parents always allowed them to stay in their guest rooms after they were discharged from the Marine Corps. They could stay as long as they wanted until they sound a job. Those are some very fun times for my siblings.

If you're asking that the techniques, tactics, policies, and procedures of the Marine Corps favor people of one race over another, then I think you'll be hard pressed to find good evidence to support that. PFT's, CFT's, Rifle Scores, Pros/Cons, and the promotion system in general are pretty agnostic to any differences in race or ethnicity.

My brother was a NCO (E5) in the Marine Corps and he belonged to a very elite special force unit. Till this day, I feel his friends (mostly white and a few blacks) are my own brothers and family.

There was a ton of racist jokes, fat jokes, gay jokes, it goes on and on, the thing missing is the hate that comes with it. I got to hear some of the funniest race jokes I had ever heard and will ever get to hear out in the open. So nothing really surprises me. Marine Corps was the least racist and status driven environment, many are dark green, but at the end of the day, they are all green.

well, due to my unique experience, I don't view race the way most people do.

LOL, I grew up with jokes, I'm a jokester, anyone familiar with my posts know that I value comedy and find the funny in a lot of things. I find the funny in race relations and can joke about some of the most vile stuff but at the end of the day it's all good natured fun and I can laugh at myself just as easily as I can laugh at others. I think we all can just loosen up a bit and have a bit of fun and not take things so seriously at times.... some people just can't handle it and turn into prune faces.. but it is what it is.

I sometimes think that we as a culture can learn a thing or two from the Japanese and Chinese, at least in terms of hard work and getting ahead. The stereotype of Asians being smart and getting ahead is what I'm talking about here. Their culture embraces hard work, integrity and ethics and respect.

I think a lot of that is lost in contemporary American culture and that is sad.... America used to be great. We're still a beacon... but the light is getting a bit dim these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 08:08 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
I am white/Japanese/Hawaiian. I spent several years in Japan and Germany and I really didn't experience any types of racism. I loved both countries very very much, maybe not as much as I love America, but I think both are great countries.

Well, I was born in Oklahoma city, and was raised in Newport Beach, california. Because of my brother's 8 years military career, I can honestly say that I "grew up" with a lot of Marines. They are mostly white countries boys, couple of them are southern black boys. My parents always allowed them to stay in their guest rooms after they were discharged from the Marine Corps. They could stay as long as they wanted until they found a job. Those are some very fun times for my siblings and I. I think they are very REAL people. if you know what I mean by REAL.

If you're asking that the techniques, tactics, policies, and procedures of the Marine Corps favor people of one race over another, then I think you'll be hard pressed to find good evidence to support that. PFT's, CFT's, Rifle Scores, Pros/Cons, and the promotion system in general are pretty agnostic to any differences in race or ethnicity.

My brother was a NCO (E5) in the Marine Corps and he belonged to a very elite special force unit. Till this day, I feel his friends (mostly white and a few blacks) are my own brothers and family.

There was a ton of racist jokes, fat jokes, gay jokes, it goes on and on, the thing missing is the hate that comes with it. I got to hear some of the funniest race jokes I had ever heard and will ever get to hear out in the open. So nothing really surprises me. Marine Corps was the least racist and status driven environment, many are dark green, but at the end of the day, they are all green.

well, due to my unique experience, I don't view race the way most people do.

add: By the way, since I grew up in an upper middle class neighborhood, I heard a lot of cringe worthy stuff from very rich folks. They look down on people who are not the same, thanks to the military men, I learned to stay humble.

I always love what they say, "You have to earn it." I love love love that Respect and everything in life, to me, is earned, not demanded. Skin color matters nothing to me.

What if we wake up tomorrow and the Aryan race has won the race war, then what, I guess they will discuss hair color next. LOL they will still not view everybody the same or equal. Look at how they treated Irish people.

:O
You're a good egg, lily. I have to admit that when I was growing up I assumed all of you privileged rich people were the same. Now that I have some years under my belt, I realize that there are good people in rich neighborhoods too.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You're a good egg, lily. I have to admit that when I was growing up I assumed all of you privileged rich people were the same. Now that I have some years under my belt, I realize that there are good people in rich neighborhoods too.
My grandpa was a hard worker. My parents always live below their means. we are the average in our neighborhood. The richest guy on my street is Jewish lol.

Thanks to these military folks, my boring sheltered life doesn't seem so boring anymore.

The people I respect and love the most are these military guys. gee, isn't that obvious?! hahaha

Old 07-22-2016, 08:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
I like Lily too. She's pretty insightful and not stuck up. A lot of conservatives here should take a page from her, instead of being stereotypical.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I like Lily too. She's pretty insightful and not stuck up. A lot of conservatives here should take a page from her, instead of being stereotypical.
Thank you sweetie.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:17 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
My grandpa was a hard worker. My parents always live below their means. we are the average in our neighborhood. The richest guy on my street is Jewish lol.

Thanks to these military folks, my boring sheltered life doesn't seem so boring anymore.

The people I respect and love the most are these military guys. gee, isn't that obvious?! hahaha
I've known this about you for years now. To be honest, I thought your fixation was a little creepy until I read your first post on this thread. I never heard that story before. I get it now. In your formative years, you were privileged enough to enjoy the camaraderie of Marines firsthand. That sort of thing sticks with somebody for life.

Anyhow - sorry for going off topic, Chow.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
I'm def "white". I'm of Irish family and, look the part with the red hair and so on. Not too many generations back we ranked below "free people of color" in New England. Things change and now we're just "regular" people tho Boston's "Southies" I'm NOT proud of since so many are still ruffians in 2016.

Hispanic: some claim minority; other's, even 'brown" ones, many times claim anglo white. I'm guessing it's a cultural thing cause the anglo "Latinos" hate la raza.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I've known this about you for years now. To be honest, I thought your fixation was a little creepy until I read your first post on this thread. I never heard that story before. I get it now. In your formative years, you were privileged enough to enjoy the camaraderie of Marines firsthand. That sort of thing sticks with somebody for life.

Anyhow - sorry for going off topic, Chow.
Yeah, sorry Chow, - but I have to say this. I am a dork in real life. lol All my friends know this about me.

Yeah, I understand the creepy part too, (all these love for the military) Glad you get it now. =)

Old 07-22-2016, 08:23 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm def "white". I'm of Irish family and, look the part with the red hair and so on. Not too many generations back we ranked below "free people of color" in New England. Things change and now we're just "regular" people tho Boston's "Southies" I'm NOT proud of since so many are still ruffians in 2016.

Hispanic: some claim minority; other's, even 'brown" ones, many times claim anglo white. I'm guessing it's a cultural thing cause the anglo "Latinos" hate la raza.

I'm a white boy Irish myself. I'm dark haired and look Hispanic but both of my parents surnames are hardcore Irish.

Back to the thread topic... have you seen or experienced racism??? White or black or purple????

Old 07-22-2016, 08:26 PM

Also want to add, one thing I cannot stand is one minority group looking down on another minority group.

For example, I think a lot of asians (NOT all, definitely not all), but a lot of them looking down on black and Latinos. My sister is now engaged to be married to a black guy (well, first black guy in my family) An asian lady in the church said, my sister has slept with the color of rainbow, (or something like that)

This lady encouraged her daughter to date white men, but since my sister chose to marry to a black guy, she has problem with that, I guess.

Not all asians are like that, but many are. As a mixed race girl, I don't really have a group of "my people" that I feel I must be faithful to. My people are those who respect me and love me, skin colors don't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies