Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've gotten into it with a few times, you're a pretty angry guy at times, why would you "let it go" about this subtle form of racism

That doesn't follow your posting pattern here in CD?

My family is very racially mixed, we've got all kinds of people under our family lineage. The family get togethers looks like some kind of NATO get together white, black, Asian, Mexican... whatever...

It makes me mad as hell to think that my family members might be discriminated against... makes me mad as hell just thinking about it... how dare they....
I'm actually not an angry guy whatsoever. You've got the wrong idea about me.

I'm just not a mealy mouthed negro. If something needs to be said, I'mma say it.

But I'm not angry or militant at all. People just think I am because anytime a black male is truculent, he's seen as a dangerous malcontent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 10:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Logically sound, right attitude. Unfortunately, if you're not part of the majority population, it's wishful thinking at best. Had I been born and raised, and still live in, Latin America, I would think this way too. But when you're a minority, there's always that one person, either in real life, the media, whatever, that always has to remind you you're not "one of us"
I decided not to play the game when I was very young...early teens.

I'll break my own rules for the sake of the conversation and reveal my recent evolutionary footprint that I'm aware of:

Northern Africa, Southern Europe, Middle Eastern, and Asia. That's a nice neat box, eh? (not Canadian)

That's of what I do know. Appearance wise 7 maybe 8 out of 10 folks have historically said I most resemble a Puerto Rican...which is one place I'm nearly 100% sure I have no roots in. Go figure.

It has been quite liberating not having to play the game but also not having a traditional role within it for others to label me.

I also grew up impoverished in one of the worst ghettos in the U.S. Add in my anarchist views and nobody wants me or likes me in their "group".

And I wouldn't have it any other way because collectivism is the scourge of humanity.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:31 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I am a Chinese American who speaks English perfectly and I encounter absolutely no racism in my daily life. I work at a university and any black person who speaks English well and dresses like a civilized person seems to blend in well and without any negative racist energy from non-blacks.

I think that the main problem in our society for blacks is that any blacks who speak and act like they are from a city ghetto just aren't as accepted by non-blacks who tend to be from the suburbs. I see it as a culture clash or a difference between levels of academic education and lifestyles, not a skin colour issue.

If someone speaks in ebonics or with ghetto slang, then someone from a middle class suburb with a university degree and who cares about their children getting into a top-college, then of course they don't want their kids picking up on any ghetto mannerisms. Or if preferring a traditional family structure, they aren't going to want their kids having friends with mothers that are baby mommas. And so on...

Again, it's a culture clash, not a skin colour issue.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:37 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Five pages in and no distinct stories of over-the-top racism.

Is race relations that bad in America????

Are things that bad? I'm waiting to hear stories of non-whites with stories that interrupt their lives, prevent them from jobs, housing, equal access.

I really want to know if the day to day life of blacks and others is affected that greatly by racism. I'm not trying to diminish racism, I'm simply trying to understand if in 2016 if black folks and others feel that put out by it. Not that any racism is ok, but just trying to see the big picture here.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:38 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I am a Chinese American who speaks English perfectly and I encounter absolutely no racism in my daily life. I work at a university and any black person who speaks English well and dresses like a civilized person seems to blend in well and without any negative racist energy from non-blacks.

I think that the main problem in our society for blacks is that any blacks who speak and act like they are from a city ghetto just aren't as accepted by non-blacks who tend to be from the suburbs. I see it as a culture clash or a difference between levels of academic education and lifestyles, not a skin colour issue.

If someone speaks in ebonics or with ghetto slang, then someone from a middle class suburb with a university degree and who cares about their children getting into a top-college, then of course they don't want their kids picking up on any ghetto mannerisms. Or if preferring a traditional family structure, they aren't going to want their kids having friends with mothers that are baby mommas. And so on...

This is a fair point. To some extent, people are discriminated against for their class not their skin color. A thugged out white boy (wife beater, gold chain, etc.) isn't going to enjoy nearly as much white privilege as a well dressed, well spoken white man. But it's not all about class though. Well dressed, well spoken black people get pulled over way more than whites by the cops. That's a fact. Seems pretty s-----y to me to have to put up with that. I can see why it's interpreted it as harassment. It's time to upgrade our police force and get them some more education. I want them to police criminals. Not black citizens.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

As a white person and looking from the outside looking in I think that Asians due to the stereotype of being hardworking good students that they seem to get a bit of a pass in the racist department. Of course as a kid I heard all of the negative stereotypes of bad drivers and all of that crap, but I think that is just silly...Asian people have a lot of good stereotypes working for them. LOL. I used to work with a young Asian guy and he would make the most racist stereotype jokes about Asians than I would even imagine. LOL... not sure where that came from, but whatever. He was a good dude and I respected the hell out of him for his work contributions. I never joined him in his negative anti-inflammatory rhetoric.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Five pages in and no distinct stories of over-the-top racism.

Is race relations that bad in America????

Are things that bad? I'm waiting to hear stories of non-whites with stories that interrupt their lives, prevent them from jobs, housing, equal access.

I really want to know if the day to day life of blacks and others is affected that greatly by racism. I'm not trying to diminish racism, I'm simply trying to understand if in 2016 if black folks and others feel that put out by it. Not that any racism is ok, but just trying to see the big picture here.
The State uses "race" as one of its tools in the divide and conquer toolbox. Very few of the little people have the motive, means, and opportunity to blatantly oppress another based on a singular factor never mind a fictional one such as race. That's the job of the State and it does it well.

Us peasants have long been in the position of hyper self-preservation navigating our way thru the State's draconian edicts as we strive to get by.

Bottom line, if most folks have truly been discriminated against for whatever reason on a micro level odds are they weren't sure of it or if so quickly moved on because of the reality that we are fighting for survival.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,612 times
My day to day basis are fine. I get along with everyone. I try to make myself a little bit more available to different races of people. If they wanna deal with me that cool if not BYE!!! I can't say others are the same as mine. I've witnessed somethings on MTA where interactions with black and white have gone bad.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm actually not an angry guy whatsoever. You've got the wrong idea about me.

I'm just not a mealy mouthed negro. If something needs to be said, I'mma say it.

But I'm not angry or militant at all. People just think I am because anytime a black male is truculent, he's seen as a dangerous malcontent.
If something needs to be said it should be said... nothing to do with "mealy mouthed negros" right and wrong needs to be addressed, doesn't have a color behind it.

I have a deep sense of justice in me and I wonder if I should have been a lawyer, but injustice is something that just upsets the hell out of me... I don't care who it is... injustice rattles my cage and I'll never as a person of just being an outsider will never stand by and not make any kind of fuss over........

Old 07-22-2016, 11:04 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,465 times
The only time it seems like racism is off the chain is whenever I log onto this site and read about how Obama is dividing the nation by speaking on injustices, or turning on liberal and conservative news outlets and listening to their propaganda.

In my day to day life I don't have many White friends because I don't live around many if any White people, but some of my best friends are Hispanic and the White people that I do encounter routinely such as my academic advisory turn out to be some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Racism/Bigotry is a mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies