Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:06 PM

52,290 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
The only time it seems like racism is off the chain is whenever I log onto this site and read about how Obama is dividing the nation by speaking on injustices, or turning on liberal and conservative news outlets and listening to their propaganda.

In my day to day life I don't have many White friends because I don't live around many if any White people, but some of my best friends are Hispanic and the White people that I do encounter routinely such as my academic advisory turn out to be some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Racism/Bigotry is a mental illness.
CD isn't real life....not by a long shot.

Racism/bigotry is truly a mental illness... it's as metal illness in the truest sense of the word. Thoughts and beliefs based on incomplete data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 11:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I am a Chinese American who speaks English perfectly and I encounter absolutely no racism in my daily life. I work at a university and any black person who speaks English well and dresses like a civilized person seems to blend in well and without any negative racist energy from non-blacks.

I think that the main problem in our society for blacks is that any blacks who speak and act like they are from a city ghetto just aren't as accepted by non-blacks who tend to be from the suburbs. I see it as a culture clash or a difference between levels of academic education and lifestyles, not a skin colour issue.

If someone speaks in ebonics or with ghetto slang, then someone from a middle class suburb with a university degree and who cares about their children getting into a top-college, then of course they don't want their kids picking up on any ghetto mannerisms. Or if preferring a traditional family structure, they aren't going to want their kids having friends with mothers that are baby mommas. And so on...

Again, it's a culture clash, not a skin colour issue.
I always wonder what happens when these folks meet a person who uses ghetto slang and Ebonics have a college degree because there are quite a few of them out there that know how to switch it up.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
CD isn't real life....not by a long shot.
Most people are politically apathetic. An even greater number are socially apathetic. And nearly everyone is apathetic to their own individual freedom.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I always wonder what happens when these folks meet a person who uses ghetto slang and Ebonics have a college degree because there are quite a few of them out there that know how to switch it up.

What do you mean??

I'm white, middle aged, I have a degree. I speak like Richard Proyer all the time. I love that dude and have always spoke like a black man, at least the stereotype that Richard Proyer used to portray.

He used to always say "and shyt" after everything he said... I've done that since I was about 15 and that was 30 yrs ago.. still do it... he's probably been one of the greatest comedy influences in my life... Love that guy... always have and always will.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Five pages in and no distinct stories of over-the-top racism.

Is race relations that bad in America????

Are things that bad? I'm waiting to hear stories of non-whites with stories that interrupt their lives, prevent them from jobs, housing, equal access.

I really want to know if the day to day life of blacks and others is affected that greatly by racism. I'm not trying to diminish racism, I'm simply trying to understand if in 2016 if black folks and others feel that put out by it. Not that any racism is ok, but just trying to see the big picture here.

I understand that you are simply trying to gauge how prevalent racism is in our daily lives but everyone's experiences will be different based on numerous factors (region of the country, the acceptance of that person's race/ethnicity/ coloring within certain areas, etc.

But to answer your question, I am a brown skinned black American women raised in CA. Do I experience racism every day? No. Weekly? Not really. Monthly? Depends on whether or not you consider racial microaggressions as racism.

In my experience, racist incidents happen when you least expect and its always jarring because you are simply going about your business and someone makes it a point to let you know that they think that you are "lesser". Do I have stories that I could share? Sure, I do. But its not a memory lane that I like to stroll down. Its traumatic, its upsetting and its hurtful.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I understand that you are simply trying to gauge how prevalent racism is in our daily lives but everyone's experiences will be different based on numerous factors (region of the country, the acceptance of that person's race/ethnicity/ coloring within certain areas, etc.

But to answer your question, I am a brown skinned black American women raised in CA. Do I experience racism every day? No. Weekly? Not really. Monthly? Depends on whether or not you consider racial microaggressions as racism.

In my experience, racist incidents happen when you least expect and its always jarring because you are simply going about your business and someone makes it a point to let you know that they think that you are "lesser". Do I have stories that I could share? Sure, I do. But its not a memory lane that I like to stroll down. Its traumatic, its upsetting and its hurtful.
I'm only posing this query because I wondered what the true day to day effects of racism is. I have no agenda other than just really looking at the issue. I have a little niece that is a little black girl and thinking about any kind of racisms she might face just fires me up.... nothing to do with any kind of white guilt or whatever... I just see her sweet face and I ponder..... what is in her future...hence this thread.

I think that in my experience black folks work hard.. they work to support their families... just like everyone else.... I don't really understand there being some active campange for their destruction... I most certainly hope not.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:23 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:

So I guess what I'm saying is is that for all of the non-white members here what are your day to day experiences with people, not just whites but everyone.
My day-to-day experiences with whites and other races have been fine.

Quote:
Do you feel like racism is a major component of your day to day life.
It's never been for me. I have a belief that the way you view life is what will manifest for you. Look for racism and usually you'll find it.

Quote:
Do you feel that racism is a thing that you have to fight everyday.
No, I honestly don't.

Quote:
Do you think that objectively speaking that it is really an issue that you feel gets you down and really plays a big part of your life??
I think it's important to speak out when it does happen. As far as it getting me down, no. I'm not going to surrender my happiness and mental health to prejudice and xenophobia. I live my life by treating people well and typically, that's what I get back in return. If I experience racism, I confront it head on and then ultimately, move on. I'm African-American.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:25 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
I'm white, and from the Deep South. I like to think I have a good gauge about race relations in my area, but you can't ever really know for sure. I feel like we get along. I don't think about race a whole lot when I'm out and about. My city is probably 60% white, 30% black, 10% latino and other. It's a very normal experience to be the only white person in a store, or for there to be only one black person in a store. Really, it's hard to analyze it on a daily basis. Reading something like this makes me think about it.

I love my neighbors. Maybe because of how mixed the community is we don't really think about it. Maybe I'm totally naive and other people have a totally different experience here, I hope not.

It seems like the media is focusing on every possible race related controversy they can in order to get ratings. I cannot relate to the race issue at large at all. Like I said, I think we get along. I have no problems with anyone.

Threads like this and 24 hour news media are the only things that make me think about race. I have a 15 year old son that has recently started dating. I hope he dates a black girl.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:32 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
I'm only posing this query because I wondered what the true day to day effects of racism is. I have no agenda other than just really looking at the issue. I have a little niece that is a little black girl and thinking about any kind of racisms she might face just fires me up.... nothing to do with any kind of white guilt or whatever... I just see her sweet face and I ponder..... what is in her future...hence this thread.

I think that in my experience black folks work hard.. they work to support their families... just like everyone else.... I don't really understand there being some active campange for their destruction... I most certainly hope not.
No one will ever be able to fully articulate to you what it is like to be black, Asian, Hispanic, native American, etc.

However, since you are expressing concern for a young family member, I will offer a 2 pieces of advice.

1) Don't "other" her. The world will eventually let her know that she is not "white" so don't make it a point to set her apart from anyone else based on her race/color. Don't buy her only black dolls. Don't make her feel different.

2) When she is older and experiences what she believes to be racism or prejudice please do not tell her that she is wrong or that what she experienced wasn't racism. It invalidates what she is experiencing and feeling as her own truth. Understand that you will never be able to see or experience the world through her eyes. I am not saying that you allow her to wallow in those experiences but encourage her to always rise above.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:32 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I saw a much different tolerance from city to town. Guess small towns only like their own.
The thing with many small towns isn't so much about race as about not liking outsiders. There are people in the town I live in that talk about "only" living here since the 1970s. The local whites are more at ease with the local blacks and Hispanics than the newcomer whites because they are afraid of the newcomers changing the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies