Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times

Advertisements

This is pretty ludicrous. She oughta sue the hell out of 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,814,499 times
While I wouldn't fly the Confederate flag, this is bad. Is the First Amendment going the same way as the Second? Sure seems the libs want to squelch both.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I did not read the article....but there is probably more to the story than that. She might have demonstrated some subtle racial bias and the flag was the straw the broke the camels back. We need to get certain types of mindsets off the police forces.
She doesn't have to. A defense attorney will claim it for her......

"Your honor, we ask for acquittal as we believe the officer making these charges is biased towards minorities based upon the fact she is willing to fly the flag of the Confederacy".

A judge is going to have to consider that. That makes her no longer a valid police witness in court which means she can no longer do the job she was hired to do.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,771,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
She doesn't have to. A defense attorney will claim it for her......

"Your honor, we ask for acquittal as we believe the officer making these charges is biased towards minorities based upon the fact she is willing to fly the flag of the Confederacy".

A judge is going to have to consider that. That makes her no longer a valid police witness in court which means she can no longer do the job she was hired to do.
Admissibility of that would be very very tough, especially since there is an assumption made there of the content of the officer's speech.

I think there is more going on here, because she was fired without warning or opportunity to correct the situation. Department is going to end up owing her back pay plus penalties for that if they fired her solely on this basis with no opportunity to correct.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Admissibility of that would be very very tough, especially since there is an assumption made there of the content of the officer's speech.
It would be up to the judge. Is that a chance a police force can take?

Where it comes to civil rights judges are generally pretty lenient.

Quote:
I think there is more going on here, because she was fired without warning or opportunity to correct the situation. Department is going to end up owing her back pay plus penalties for that if they fired her solely on this basis with no opportunity to correct.
Maybe.

Just because she takes it down won't stop a defense.attorney from using the argument.

Her career as an arresting officer is over.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:33 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Let's see, I can legally burn a U S flag, but I can't fly a Confederate flag? Makes no sense at all.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:36 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,421 times
If this was a private sector job, I would be okay with it, but in this case I can't get on board with the firing.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:08 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Georgia officer fired over confederate flag in her yard | FOX25

I am not a fan of this flag but I don't agree with firing her. not unless the state of GA makes it illegal to display it on private property.
This is great news! I'm glad this police department took a stance. It appears this officer expressed a lack of both decency and common sense.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:59 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,070,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
This is great news! I'm glad this police department took a stance. It appears this officer expressed a lack of both decency and common sense.

BLM thugs express a lack of both decency and common sense also but George Soros doesn't fire them.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 PM

76 posts, read 56,943 times
I believe that would be a violation of his 1st amendment speech. I think he has a very good cast to sue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies