Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 02:37 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,120,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Sounds like there is a wonderful opportunity for YOU to build some low cost apartments and meet this market demand.
Again, I'm not an apartment builder.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Nope, not correct information. There are many factors involved and having dependents is just one of them.
Citizenship
Size of family/income ratio
Disabilities
Age (over 62)
Please see the HUD Portal for further, and correct information.

No need for adult(s) to be citizen. Pop out anchor baby, anchor baby qualifies YOU for subsidized housing.

Is this a great country or what?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So you are an anti-liberty rent-seeker who uses government policy for your own selfish gain. Got it. Or you could just live in a gated community.
Sorry that you can't do better than a burger flipping job, but even my son can afford rent on a fast food income WHILE attending college. Maybe if you work real hard one day you will find out what property values mean to ones assets. I didn't spend my life working to better my situation so that someone else can come in and wreck the value of my assets.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Nope, not correct information. There are many factors involved and having dependents is just one of them.
Citizenship
Size of family/income ratio
Disabilities
Age (over 62)
Please see the HUD Portal for further, and correct information.
Yes, I know there are other circumstances. The point is that your average middle class joe without kids or disabilities can't qualify for them.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:40 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
What would you prefer? Living somewhere with crime (the violent forms of which are mostly gang related), or living on the street? The poor need places they can live too.
I lived in a city where crime was high. We lived in one of the safer neighborhoods and when we sold our house things were getting more sketchy. We could buy...but we don't want to so we don't sit back and complain about how high our rent is because we made the decision to rent.
It's all about your priorities.
Like I tell my kids (and it's also a favorite quote) “If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ”

Quote:
PLEASE PLEASE explain. I am considered "extremely low income" and I am crime-free, so I don't see how low income causes crime.
Did you not read what I posted?
"You realize generally that low cost housing comes with more crime right" which means most cases, usually. I could have worded it that low cost housing comes with more crime but I didn't. I made sure to include generally.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Because the private market is failing the people regarding a resource that they NEED. People NEED roofs! And the private sector isn't building them!

And you haven't offered any idea about how to STOP THE SKYROCKETING RENTS! People have told me to move (and I'm not even the one most struggling). You know, drop my job, my friends, I'm single but I guess if I had a spouse they would have to quit their job and move too, etc. That is NO SOLUTION! We need to stop rents from skyrocketing not for me, but for society.
There ARE roofs out there, you just don't like where they are. It isn't the governments job to provide you with a roof in the location you want for the price that you want to pay. If you are serious YOU will take some of the advice offered here and find a place that you can afford to live on your income.

I want to live on the beach in Hawaii, should the government provide me with a place I can afford where I want to live?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Sorry that you can't do better than a burger flipping job, but even my son can afford rent on a fast food income WHILE attending college. Maybe if you work real hard one day you will find out what property values mean to ones assets. I didn't spend my life working to better my situation so that someone else can come in and wreck the value of my assets.
Hmmm.... Isn't this where the entitlement insult comes in? So you feel "entitled" to a home with a lot of value, therefor affordable housing can be built no where near yours.

See how that argument works? Only if in your favor, your home is worth more and others go homeless. Where as in society's best interest more people will have roofs and your home will be worth less.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The rental apartment shortage is largely due to rent controls that try to keep rents down.
What then is your solution to the rent is too damn high?
Quote:
um, WTF??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

There are NO rent controls outside of California and NYC. How do you explain the rental shortage in the rest of the country?
There are no rent controls in 90% of the US.

It's the market. Supply and demand.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There ARE roofs out there, you just don't like where they are. It isn't the governments job to provide you with a roof in the location you want for the price that you want to pay. If you are serious YOU will take some of the advice offered here and find a place that you can afford to live on your income.

I want to live on the beach in Hawaii, should the government provide me with a place I can afford where I want to live?
I'm not quitting my job to move to some "middle of nowhere" place where who knows how I will feed myself! Nor should the dozens of millions of others being assaulted by the crazy rental market spike. This is a nationwide crisis that needs to be addressed!

Old 08-18-2016, 02:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Oh you know. " Do something" to make it all better.

Housing is a very local thing.

Why would anyone invest in construction of multi family housing to rent at below market rates unless some form of government was willing to kick in enough juice to make up the difference.?

I tend to hear the unaffordable thing mostly from younger people.

When you point out more affordable and safe areas, they are shocked. There are no Starbucks, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, gyms, trendy restaurants and bars in these more affordable neighborhoods. The commute is longer or more complicated.

Then there's the option of shared housing. This too does not go over well.

Or do nothing and sit back while the private sector does it's magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies