Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 02:45 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,121,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There ARE roofs out there, you just don't like where they are. It isn't the governments job to provide you with a roof in the location you want for the price that you want to pay. If you are serious YOU will take some of the advice offered here and find a place that you can afford to live on your income.

I want to live on the beach in Hawaii, should the government provide me with a place I can afford where I want to live?
Roofs cost on average $1,000 a month now across most METROPOLITAN AREAS in the country! Not the "hip, cool, areas" either. The whole metro factored in! And rising by double digits. Again, we need more supply!

https://www.zumper.com/blog/2016/07/...ort-july-2016/

Old 08-18-2016, 02:46 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then move to a more affordable part of the country.
Like I said not all areas will be feasible for your needs. I would love to have a waterfront home, but I can't afford to live at the lake, so I rented, and bought, where I can afford to live.

In my area, you can have a nice apartment for $600 a month. Heck, you can rent a house for less than $1000 a month.

Why should people who were there first have to move because of newcomers?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:48 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I'm not quitting my job to move to some "middle of nowhere" place where who knows how I will feed myself! Nor should the dozens of millions of others being assaulted by the crazy rental market spike. This is a nationwide crisis that needs to be addressed!
It ISN'T nationwide as several posters have shown you. If you want to live in a desirable location, you will pay for it. Sorry but that's life.

My son want's to live in the center of a college town so he has rented a house with 4 other guys, they each pay $500 a month. They wanted something and did what was needed to get it, and these are college kids working part time jobs. I'm sure that if you put your mind to it, you can do it too.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Isn't this where the entitlement insult comes in?
No. There's a difference between working hard and smart and delaying gratification over a span of decades... vs. a feeling of deserving something for merely having been squirted into the world and being a digestive tube...

Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Roofs cost on average $1,000 a month now across most METROPOLITAN AREAS in the country! Not the "hip, cool, areas" either. The whole metro factored in! And rising by double digits. Again, we need more supply!

https://www.zumper.com/blog/2016/07/...ort-july-2016/
If you can not afford to live in the METROPOLITAN AREA, then don't live in the METROPOLITAN AREA.

It's basic common sense.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:50 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Where will my helicopter land if I move into one of these places. It is a conundrum.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Why should people who were there first have to move because of newcomers?
Because the newcomers have the money to pay for it. Owning and renting aren't a "dibs" thing, it is a money thing.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:52 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,431,797 times
Quote:
And we need more of them. They aren't building anywhere near enough. But the government should build housing that doesn't accept section 8. Currently if the government builds a housing community they make it section 8, which you can only get with dependents.
Quote:
Yes, I know there are other circumstances. The point is that your average middle class joe without kids or disabilities can't qualify for them.
If you know that why did you post the bolded and underlined in the first quoted post? What is the purpose of posting misguiding information and then saying you knew otherwise?

Honestly, your average middle class Joe without kids has many viable housing opportunities available to him all over this country.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
Quote:
I'm not quitting my job to move to some "middle of nowhere" place where who knows how I will feed myself! Nor should the dozens of millions of others being assaulted by the crazy rental market spike. This is a nationwide crisis that needs to be addressed!
That's when you search for a job while you are at your current one in a place that is more affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
No. There's a difference between working hard and smart and delaying gratification over a span of decades... vs. a feeling of deserving something for merely having been squirted into the world and being a digestive tube...
So many have a sense of entitlement and the whole Veruca Salt mentality of "I want it now" while not knowing how to live within their means.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:56 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
I'm not quitting my job to move to some "middle of nowhere" place where who knows how I will feed myself!
Good grief. There's plenty in between. You sound like you have slightly expensive tastes and an unwillingness to compromise or consider alternatives. It seems like the biggest 'crisis' is the cognitive dissonance between how you think things should be and how you should be living vs. how things actually are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies