Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:54 AM

145 posts, read 111,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
You should have posted in the Safe Space forum then.
I guess it's too much to ask for people to actually read an article before commenting on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:57 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Pretty cool step in my opinion, but I think it would be better if they found a way to give preferential admission to all descendants of all slaves. Still, this is better than not doing anything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/us...ore-ipad-share

"Mr. DeGioa’s decision to offer an advantage in admissions to descendants, similar to that offered to the children and grandchildren of alumni, is unprecedented, historians say. The preference will be offered to the descendants of all the slaves whose labor benefited Georgetown, not just the men, women and children sold in 1838."
Good luck proving that.

Elizabeth warren types will be the 1st in line.

no problem with Gtown offering it, should also offer free tuition to survivors of cops killed in line of duty and servicemen who sacrificed their lives for our country.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to offer free tuition to the guys survivors who died fighting for the union during the civil war, which resulted in the freeing of slaves.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:00 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
who would know that they are a descendant of one of those slaves?

This is just symbolism. No actual people are going to be able to determine that theyre a descendant of any of those slaves.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:03 AM

77 posts, read 37,083 times
Do you guys get this hurt when Native Americans collect their checks every month?

Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Pretty cool step in my opinion, but I think it would be better if they found a way to give preferential admission to all descendants of all slaves. Still, this is better than not doing anything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/us...ore-ipad-share

"Mr. DeGioa’s decision to offer an advantage in admissions to descendants, similar to that offered to the children and grandchildren of alumni, is unprecedented, historians say. The preference will be offered to the descendants of all the slaves whose labor benefited Georgetown, not just the men, women and children sold in 1838."

preferential admission aka more discrimination

noun

an act or instance of discriminating, or of making a distinction.

treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit:
racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:08 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Did the slaves descendants help build the place?

Shall we start applying that warped logic to everything?

They "personally"? Do you understand the difference between a person and an organization, business and other entities?

Ok, are any of those who personally used slaves alive? Are you now going to hold descendents of those who used slaves personally responsible for what their ancestors did?

Then lets start with you.
No, the slaves did. The descendants were merely harmed. The sale in question was worth $3.3 million in today's dollars.

Nobody that used the slaves is still alive, but the University is still here.

Fine, start with me. I'm a 1st gen immigrant and my country, Russia, eliminated slavery in the early 1700's.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:09 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post

This is just symbolism. No actual people are going to be able to determine that theyre a descendant of any of those slaves.
The university has archives with that information.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:13 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If they can't even get a BC to get photo ID, how are they going to prove anything here? Hmmm....
Ha! Beat me to it!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
No, the slaves did. The descendants were merely harmed. The sale in question was worth $3.3 million in today's dollars.

Nobody that used the slaves is still alive, but the University is still here.

Fine, start with me. I'm a 1st gen immigrant and my country, Russia, eliminated slavery in the early 1700's.
well ... not quite....Russia didn't ""eliminate"" slavery in the early 1700's.they just RENAMED it

Despite the abolition of slavery in Russia in 1723, when Peter the Great converted household slaves to serfs, Russia remains the 6th largest holder of slaves, estimated at 516,000 in 2013

and let's not forget the Jewish Persecution within Russia in the late 1800's and early 1900's

human trafficking and slavery has been identified in Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan of nationals in contemporary Russian society

Old 09-01-2016, 10:18 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post

Typical of many Universities to just accept it, even if it's a lie. I got a buddy who "claims" he's Chinese. He's adopted and their last name is Jewish. They still gave him a full ride based on a claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies