Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I helped my Mom when she had surgery this year. The hospital asked for her Medicare card and a photo ID before they would even admit her. /shrug
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not buying it. We were specifically discussing photo ID. How can you positively ID someone for a surgical procedure without a photo ID? I have certified copies of my kids' BCs, as I'm sure most parents do. Could I get admitted to a hospital for medical treatment using one of them and saying that's who I am? No.
On these. Hospitals and medical offices/facilities will not turn away a patient for not having a specific form of identification. They accept all sorts of forms of ID even expired IDs.

It seems you and 2mares are under the impression that in those states where voting ID laws have gone into place that all IDs are accepted. They are not. As I have repeatedly stated they have specific APPROVED FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION that are needed to vote. No other place requires specific forms of ID.

Also, the approved, specific types of ID vary by state and county. Some states accept student IDs some don't. Some states accept expired IDs, some don't.

A hospital just wants to see your pic and your name and make sure it matches your medical card. They also will still let you get treated if it is an emergency or life threatening situation. At the polls, you will be turned away or given a provisional ballot which many times is not counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 12:41 PM

For reference, compare what is accepted in Fulton County GA where I used to live:
Quote:
  • Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including a free ID Card issued by your county registrar's office or the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS)
  • A Georgia Driver's License, even if expired (this was changed after the initial passage of the law to include expired IDs) - residinghere
  • A Valid out-of-state Driver’s License
  • Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
  • Valid U.S. passport ID
  • Valid U.S. military photo ID
  • Valid tribal photo ID
Note on the above that student IDs are not acceptable. Therefore, students either have to do an absentee vote in their home community or they are disenfranchised, many for their first election and they are unaware that they cannot vote using their student ID in GA.

I currently live in Ohio and this is what our voter ID is:

Quote:

• A current and valid photo identification (i.e. Ohio driver’s license, state ID card, government ID). Photo identification must show name and address (does not need to be current address for driver’s license or state id card); or
• A military identification. (Does not need to show name or address); or
A copy of a current utility bill (including cell phone bill), bank statement, paycheck, government check, or other government document that shows the voter’s name and current address (including from a public college or university).
Ohio law states that you can use as ID, a document from the Board of Elections EXCEPT for a voter registration acknowledgement notice or a notification of an election.
Note that in Ohio a student ID from a public university is considered a "government ID" so students can vote where they are living as long as they are registered. Also, the actual voter registration card in Ohio per the red is an acceptable form of ID for students and seniors even if they do not have a picture ID with their address on it.

Also, note the red for Ohio. Those also used to be acceptable in GA. They are also acceptable forms of "ID" for medical offices/hospitals. Utility bills were frequently used by seniors specifically to vote in GA when I lived/worked there or their Social Security check stub.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:09 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On these. Hospitals and medical offices/facilities will not turn away a patient for not having a specific form of identification. They accept all sorts of forms of ID even expired IDs.

It seems you and 2mares are under the impression that in those states where voting ID laws have gone into place that all IDs are accepted. They are not. As I have repeatedly stated they have specific APPROVED FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION that are needed to vote. No other place requires specific forms of ID.

Also, the approved, specific types of ID vary by state and county. Some states accept student IDs some don't. Some states accept expired IDs, some don't.

A hospital just wants to see your pic and your name and make sure it matches your medical card. They also will still let you get treated if it is an emergency or life threatening situation. At the polls, you will be turned away or given a provisional ballot which many times is not counted.
Are you trying to make a point?
I'm well aware hospital ER's can not refuse treatment. I'm aware voter ID requirements may differ by state.
It is irrelevant that different institutions may accept different forms of identification.
The point is many institutions require a photo ID. Most people have one or can get one without destroying their lives.
I support voter ID. I also believe that acceptable forms of ID should be uniform among all states and easily obtainable as long as you can prove who you are.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Are you trying to make a point?
I'm well aware hospital ER's can not refuse treatment. I'm aware voter ID requirements may differ by state.
It is irrelevant that different institutions may accept different forms of identification.
The point is many institutions require a photo ID. Most people have one or can get one without destroying their lives.
I support voter ID. I also believe that acceptable forms of ID should be uniform among all states and easily obtainable as long as you can prove who you are.
On the bold, neither can medical offices as long as some other form of "ID" is shown at the doctor's office. It does not have to be specific - your should tell IC.

On the blue - good for you

On the red - it is not irrelevant because you are making a point to state that "anyone can easily get ID." Some types of ID are not easy to get for some people and some are harder to get than others. It took me a very long time to get a passport in particular.

On the pink, I agree.

On the green, why do you support these new voter ID laws? Are you a conservative? If so, I thought conservatives were about "keeping government out of people's lives." If someone has been able to vote at the polls with their voter registration card there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to do the same today.

IMO you, like many others around here just want to get yourselves riled up about "minorities."

This is just a silly issue that those on the right have jumped onto and it is funny to me because most of the criticism against the laws from the left, especially relating to black media that I actually follow/listen to at times specifically mentions the senior population and students and how different states allow different forms of ID. They never say "black people can't get IDs." It is the right that says that or asks questions like the OP title.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Today's NY Times was right on target...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/op...f=opinion&_r=0

Basically the whole thing is a fraud by various Republican legislatures to buy a few percent of the vote.

In other words pure BS sold by the Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies