Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 PM

438 posts, read 1,509,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
YOu know the funny thing is when I see all these folks fawning over the "sacrifices" of the military I almost feel guilty. I certainly did not make any sacrifices by joining the USAF. In fact I enjoyed it for the most part. It certainly beat the hell out of anything I could have got from the private sector as a young punk with a high school education! I got more out of it than I put into it.
I will admit the military has allowed us to go farther than my husband or I would have without it. The sacrifices I'm speaking of relate to the 6+ months away from family. The 6 months of our daughter's life my husband missed, not to mention all the other times he was gone. I'm talking about barely making ends meet because the pay is so low. DH is getting out in <2 months and his salary is almost doubling. I'm also talking about the ultimate sacrifice of one's life in service of one's country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 08:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
I will admit the military has allowed us to go farther than my husband or I would have without it. The sacrifices I'm speaking of relate to the 6+ months away from family. The 6 months of our daughter's life my husband missed, not to mention all the other times he was gone. I'm talking about barely making ends meet because the pay is so low. DH is getting out in <2 months and his salary is almost doubling. I'm also talking about the ultimate sacrifice of one's life in service of one's country.
But you knew that those things before your husband joined.
You get free housing, free medical, free daycare, if you live off-base you get separate rations and rent paid for.

The low pay you speak of doesn't take into consideration your free benefits.
His salary may go up, but you'll be responsible for your own rent, daycare, medical insurance. Those things can quickly add up to more than 1/2 of his salary once taxes are taken out.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But you knew that those things before your husband joined.
You get free housing, free medical, free daycare, if you live off-base you get separate rations and rent paid for.

The low pay you speak of doesn't take into consideration your free benefits.
His salary may go up, but you'll be responsible for your own rent, daycare, medical insurance. Those things can quickly add up to more than 1/2 of his salary once taxes are taken out.
Actually I do not get free housing. Where we live there is not enough housing units, so we get a housing allowance that does not cover the cost of living here. Yes, we get free medical, but I'm sure you've heard about the sorry state the military medical system is in. Free daycare? Nope, another myth. The military says we make too much to get free daycare, yet we still cannot afford for me to work and put three kids in daycare.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Then why have 3 kids if you can't afford it?
No medical care in the US is good.
Overseas military families get x hours of daycare a week.
I assume then, that you're stationed in the US.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Then why have 3 kids if you can't afford it?
Overseas military families get x hours of daycare a week.
I assume then, that you're stationed in the US.
Why have three kids if I can't afford it? Are you seriously crazy enough to ask me that? It has become apparent to me that arguing with you is equivalent to arguing with one of my brats that I cannot afford since my husband is a horrible U.S. military member who has probably raped countless defenseless people in innocent countries across the world. I'm done with you. Have a nice day.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:52 PM

First of all, you make a lot of assumptions.
My statements are clear and I ask questions when you refute my statements.
Your attitude is that of America "love it or leave it" while mine is "love it and fix it."
I'm all for personal responsibility in all facets of our lives.
I work on a base and most of my friends are in the military, I see it, too.
I'm not entitled to healthcare on bases. You do get medical care and dental.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,773,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Would you encourage your kids to join?
Hmmm...let's see: my father didn't finish high school because he had to go to work. He was drafted and sent to Korea. He was wounded in action. Received a purple heart and an honorable discharge. My uncle finished high school, but he was drafted and sent to Vietnam. He was also wounded, etc.
I had some college, had trouble finding employment, so I joined and served in the Gulf war. My husband also served.

My kids...oh not only no, but hell no. I have spent my entire life working hard so that my children have better choices than the rest of the family.

My kids grew up keenly aware that the mission always came first. Sometimes I feel that I trained them instead of raising them. Even when they were 4 years old all I had to do was turn on the lights at 0400 and yell "Recall!", and they would get out of bed, wash up, get dressed and be in the car in less than 20 minutes. Want breakfast? Pass these pop tarts in the car. No time for whining.

Not a single one of them (2 boys and 2 girls) has ever expressed any interest in joining the military. I always encouraged them to study hard and stay out of trouble so they would not have to join. Well, they either listened to me or paid attention as they were growing up because they all got academic scholarships and are now in college. School teachers and neighbors were always amazed at their problem solving skills, manners and work ethic. I had to ensure that if I dropped dead, they'd be able to fend for themselves. There were times growing up when they almost had to because my husband and I were both in.

I do not measure success in terms of square footage, fancy cars or Coach handbags. But I will feel fulfilled and successful if none of my children joins the military. I want them to enjoy all the freedoms that people who do not serve get to enjoy.

After observing politicians and pundits waive the flag, send people off to die and clamor for bombings from the comfort of their offices and living rooms I decided that my children will join the military when everybody else joins. That is, when there is a draft and not a minute sooner.

I do not buy the argument that not every body is cut out for the military. Not every military member carries an 80 pound bag, fires a rifle, drives a tank, etc. There are thousands of different jobs in the service. If you don't know how to use a phone and follow instructions on a checklist, then you're too stupid to sustain life unassisted.

So to all those people out there who talk out of both sides of their mouths I say this: if you really love this country, step up. Don't expect others (and especially my kids) to carry your weight while you waive the flag from the sidelines.

I think my family has been through enough blood, sweat, tears and time to last for a good three generations. It's time everybody pulled their own weight. I favor a draft.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:
NONE?

You are joking - right?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 PM

I'd favor a draft if ALL kids at 18 were required to serve. That is, the president's kids, every single representative's kids, every rich person's kids as well as the rest of us.

It might be a way to deter wars if it were across the board.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:35 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,007,675 times
If I ever have kids and if they want to join the military I will not be against it. I was in the USAF until my knee blew out in training. My mother, father, stepfather, aunt, and uncle were all military. I will tell my kids what being in the military is like. I will encourage my kids to decide on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies