Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should black people receive reparations?
Yes 11 6.59%
No 154 92.22%
I don't know 2 1.20%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:59 PM

20,736 posts, read 19,423,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Stop excusing the buyers of human beings.

Stop the whining , pandering and victim-hood .

Old 09-20-2016, 04:16 PM

51,074 posts, read 24,578,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

And stop excusing the blacks who sold blacks.

Take all of history into account, not just selective points.
Show me one post where I excused the Blacks who sold other Blacks. I hope that any person who sold or bought slaves is rotting in hell.

Show me.

You can't, because I never have.

So you stop projecting YOUR biases onto me.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:22 PM

51,074 posts, read 24,578,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Stop denying your own people's history.

At a certain point Afrocentric education and black radical identity politics is going to have to do better than appropriating eastern African languages (Swahili) and ancient Egyptian culture as their own Western African ancestors' history.... and will instead start studying the true way Africa has been involved in world history.

The most celebrated Western African empire and king, Mansa Musa, had a huge fortune, much of it derived from the slave trade with Arabia (some say he is the richest man in history --- anywhere in the world --- when you adjust for inflation).

We're talking about 200 years BEFORE the Europeans ever even made it down to Sub-Saharan Africa or purchased that first black slave.

Only problem is the wealth of these slaver kings was never directed toward developing institutions and government for the public good, like in Europe and (arguably) Arabia.

THAT is your history. THAT is where your people come from and contributed to. You are descendant of slaves AND slave-traders and slave owners. Own that history. Understand it. Act accordingly when seeking reparation from others.
My own people??? I am White.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:24 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,457,886 times
Quote:
My own people??? I am White.

Yeesh. Wow.

BTW, why did you change your original post that I responded to?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi
Stop excusing the Whites who bought human beings.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:00 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,141,303 times
Quote:
And the blacks that sold human beings?? You'll just overlook that right?

Old 09-20-2016, 05:03 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,141,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Yes, they do deserve reparations.

This is just PG-rated racism. Imagine if the mods here were way more lax with the forum rules & guidelines; they'd start showing their true colors (as if they haven't already ).

Typical deflection tactics. Everything in your post is racist BS.

Everything I posted is fact. Please explain how that's racist. I bet your reply will be "you're racist!"

Old 09-20-2016, 05:04 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,205,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My daughter and I were just discussing this very topic the other day!

I said, yes, they should. The Japanese people who were interned during WWII received reparations. However, they received them almost immediately after the war ended.

It has been so long since Blacks were slaves that it would be pretty impossible to give reparations to every single Black who lives in the US today.

My daughter thought that every Black who was born before the Civil Rights Act was enacted should receive reparations.

I thought that was fair.
Not everyone is eligible anyway as there are people of African origin in the U.S. Who are recent Americans and have no legacy of U.S. slavery/Jim crow in their background.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:07 PM

111 posts, read 50,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post

Now, are all these problems facing black people their fault? If it's not, then why are people against the only conscious thing to do in giving reparations? Black people are the most patriotic and loyal people in this country. How can they not after fighting for the nation in spite of real persecution? I've made a poll with this thread to see where everyone is at on this subject.
Good grief. As far as I know there is not one living ex-slave today who would be the ONLY person eligible.

Also, if these slaves had not been brought to America these seeking these $'s today would not be here in America. Don't forget, a majority of the slaves captured in Africa and sold to ship Captains were captured by their fellow Africans. There is no question that so-called reparations today are ridiculous...more welfare which has destroyed many of the slave descendants of today. For those who have pulled themselves up and become great and contributing citizens, they have my complete respect, the same as any immigrant or slave ethnicity. That's how respect is earned...not by protests, screaming "poor me," etc.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,191,511 times
I'm not going to read through 14 pages of what I can only assume is a loathsome thread, but hopefully someone has mentioned that the money to pay for any reparations should come from the European nations which ran the slave trade and brought them to the New World, right?

Old 09-20-2016, 05:25 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,814,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi
What about the 5000+ black american slave masters?
Why did you re-word your post?

You may be white, but that doesn't excuse making racist posts simply because they're against whites.

I'm tired of people taking liberties like this simply because they either loath their own or they hate others skin color.

It's all a form of racism and it sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
I'm not going to read through 14 pages of what I can only assume is a loathsome thread, but hopefully someone has mentioned that the money to pay for any reparations should come from the European nations which ran the slave trade and brought them to the New World, right?
What about the African tribes that sold their rivals into slavery?

Directed to the uninformed who voted YES:

Like it or not; slavery was the norm in nearly every part of the world for more than 10,000 years. My ancestors are called SLAV, which means SLAVE! My white ancestors and my black ancestors were slaves, most likely at the same time... so screw anyone who thinks I should pay for their enslaved ancestors.

Like it or not; western civilization, beginning with the Brits, was the main entity that made slavery a thing of the past.

Like it or not; there is a robust slave trade in much of the middle east and parts of Asia, RIGHT NOW! THANK GOD you live in a western culture!

The United Nations estimates that roughly 27 to 30 million individuals are currently caught in the slave trade industry. The Global Slavery Index 2013 states that 10 nations account for 76 percent of the world's enslaved. India has the most slaves of any country, at 14 million (over 1% of the population).

Like it or not, those are the facts.

Map of slavery in the world today. Notice that nearly all of Africa is still in tier 2, 2watch, and 3.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...lavery/277037/

Last edited by steven_h; 09-20-2016 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies