Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 12:47 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
But my point is that we HAVE no common ground. I value and am interested in certain qualities and things. Leftists value and are interested in the exact opposite....top to bottom.
I'm just happy that you can admit that you're consistently wrong on all issues.

But seriously, people like you are the greatest problem this country has today.

First of all, you start by labeling everyone as a leftist or a rightist. Well guess what, many people -- even those you consider to be leftists -- are not just right or left, but are somewhere on a spectrum. You'd consider me a leftist. The only trouble is, that label doesn't quite fit me. Capital punishment -- I approve on a limited basis. Strong military -- I approve. Basically anti drugs. Would prefer somewhat tighter controls on government spending. I could go on.

Second, I'll tell you something you have in common with leftists, even though you don't know it. An all leftist America would be a disaster. An all rightest American would be equally disastrous. It requires a balance that somewhat ebbs and flows. There are rightest governments in some other countries. Maybe you should become an expat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 01:00 PM

29 posts, read 9,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And right back at you. Conservatives won't accept you unless you are 100% like them, who remembers the ol "you cannot compromise principles"? You're painting folks with a broad brush, and encouraging the whole no compromise thing, while simultaneously blaming others for not compromising.

You folks constantly amaze me. This unwillingness to compromise makes things worse, and then you blame the other side. just mind boggling.
Agree completely... thank you for speaking up.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:02 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
But my point is that we HAVE no common ground. I value and am interested in certain qualities and things. Leftists value and are interested in the exact opposite....top to bottom.
Like what? Explain why it's the exact opposite?

Old 09-23-2016, 01:02 PM

29 posts, read 9,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And right back at you. Conservatives won't accept you unless you are 100% like them, who remembers the ol "you cannot compromise principles"? You're painting folks with a broad brush, and encouraging the whole no compromise thing, while simultaneously blaming others for not compromising.

You folks constantly amaze me. This unwillingness to compromise makes things worse, and then you blame the other side. just mind boggling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm just happy that you can admit that you're consistently wrong on all issues.

But seriously, people like you are the greatest problem this country has today.

First of all, you start by labeling everyone as a leftist or a rightist. Well guess what, many people -- even those you consider to be leftists -- are not just right or left, but are somewhere on a spectrum. You'd consider me a leftist. The only trouble is, that label doesn't quite fit me. Capital punishment -- I approve on a limited basis. Strong military -- I approve. Basically anti drugs. Would prefer somewhat tighter controls on government spending. I could go on.

Second, I'll tell you something you have in common with leftists, even though you don't know it. An all leftist America would be a disaster. An all rightest American would be equally disastrous. It requires a balance that somewhat ebbs and flows. There are rightest governments in some other countries. Maybe you should become an expat.
Yes, ^^THIS^^

Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Liberals will not accept you unless you are 100% like them. Chick fil A is a company that is known for paying high wages by fast food standards and treating their employees very well. They do a lot of charity work. Yet because Dan Cathy voiced his opposition to gay marriage, liberals boycott the company.

Walmart has taken liberal steps in removing the Confederate flag from its website, and even removing an Israeli soldier Halloween costume (because muslims were offended), yet liberals still hate Walmart over their union policies.

There's one exception, though. Liberals welcome Muslim refugees with open arms and support Palestine even though those societies are the most sexist and homophobic in the world. They also like Europe, forgetting much of Europe is actually very tough on illegal immigration.
You exaggerate so much.

I'm a liberal.

I occasionally go to ChikFilA.
I occasionally shop at WalMart.
I don't welcome Muslim refugees.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:05 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
When is the last time any liberal was willing to find common ground with the other side?
Or, perhaps, even their own side? Liberals have shifted very far to the left in the last 50 years, and, especially, even further in the last ten.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:09 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
I know, I know--we are supposed to "find our shared humanity". And "work to find common ground".
But after many years of ignoring the sad truth, I have to admit: leftists and I do not HAVE any common ground. Not the most basic of values, no interests, no goals-----nothing.
This is hard for me to say, as I have several leftist family members.
(Oh, and I was a hardcore leftist myself for ten years or so... so I do know a bit about "both sides").
Leftists can never be happy. They crave attention and yearn to be part of change for the sake of change. Most of them do not understand the change they want and they are so narcissistic they they just don't care.

s long as they can be a part of the change and they look good on Facebook that's about it.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:25 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Or, perhaps, even their own side? Liberals have shifted very far to the left in the last 50 years, and, especially, even further in the last ten.

SO has the right. By todays republican standards Ronald Reagan is a RINO.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:42 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,630 times
Quote:
Nope. Very unlikely but I can't be sure. If there were more than a few, I would probably start asking if I was attending the right church. (But my church has very traditional beliefs and practices, so I doubt that any leftist would be there).
Be surprised. Be very surprised.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:47 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,599,436 times
Democrats who attend traditional churches are just like Republicans who attend traditional churches. Yet, we are part of a party with bigger tents. We can fellowship with gays, divorced people, because Jesus was all about fellowship with people outside his own group. First century Jews had nothing to do with Romans, Greeks, Samaritans, prostitutes, tax collectors and all kinds of people who were not like him. So I may not agree with gays on their lifestyles, so what. I may not agree with lots of people, so what. My approval is not needed when being someone's friend or neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies