Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 12:13 PM

36,538 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The point of feminism is to be equal to men until such time as there is an obvious benefit to playing the "I'm a woman and should be treat special" card.
No. To have equal (the same) legal rights and equal (the same) social opportunities. Not to be equal to men. Men and women are different in their biology, emotions and personal needs. This can never be equal (the same).
I'm not sure what special treatment you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Will further note on my second longer paragraph about social equality/opportunities of women in regards to household responsibilities. This is a huge factor in regards to the pay disparities between women and men. It is also an issue in regards to promotional opportunities for women versus men.

Women in the US Still do Way More Housework than Men

This link discussed the fact that there was virtually no change in the amount of household chores that women were doing versus men between the years of 2003 and 2014.

From the link, some advice to men:

Quote:
The lack of movement is stunning when one considers everything else that's happened during the intervening period: Women now make up almost half of the U.S. labor force; there was, and is again, a viable female presidential candidate in Hillary Clinton; there are women leading the Federal Reserve and the International Monetary Fund. In four out of 10 households with children, women are the sole or primary breadwinner. Amazingly, though, they still face two glass ceilings, one at work and another one at home. Until that changes, the number of women advancing to high-level positions isn't likely to go anywhere. It's the reason Sheryl Sandberg, the patron saint of professional women everywhere, launched a campaign called Lean in Together, intended to educate men about the importance of sharing household responsibilities so that women can reach their potential at work.
Red added by me.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMarman View Post
Feminists are the only true organized group who actually hates women. They want women TO BE men in every way. We are NOT men, never will be. If I am being attacked on the street, the last thing i need is some puny female dressed in a cops uniform trying to subdue my attacker. Give me a real man. Even if he's small, his body is more equipped than mine for long term fighting.
What particular feminist organization or individual statement is that. That they want women TO BE men in every way? What little I have searched the web for legitimate feminist organizations they lobby women's issues like health, reproductive services, equal pay, etc.

If you are ever in a situation where you need the police make sure you let them know you don't need any assistance from a woman dressed in a cop uniform.

And BTW cops dont do long term fighting. Thats why they shoot perps. Firearm, the great equalizer.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:27 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
No point in the US. It's another civil rights relic that does more harm than good by trying to keep itself relevant.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:28 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think you are taking me wrong. The question as I understood it was that the demands of first and second wavy feminism have been meet, or have they? IMO, yes they have. Which begs the question what is the purpose of feminism today. My point was that there are still issues that affect women. While not exclusively, they are more women's issues like abortion, women's health in general, domestic violence, rape, sex trade, education choices for young girls. IMO these are the issues feminists address today.
And yes I certainly agree some are way overboard and hysterical but your going to have that faction in any group/organization, etc. Those extremists do not speak for the majority nor do they void any legitimate issues that still face women today.

All of this does not make men's issues any less important. There are many ills men face that need attention such as fairness in family court, criminal sentencing inequality, education reform, etc. While men and women have equal legal rights our very nature leads us to hang on to bias and double standards and we both have to deal with these issues.

I am not on a crusade but when posters make vague statement and accusations like feminism has ruined the entire country, I like to have that detailed a bit more to try to understand where they are coming from, exactly where they see all this feminist movement, etc. To me these type vague, broad and unsupported statements come across as hysterical. And I have yet to get any answers to my questions about specifics.
OK Truce I understand you better now. Thanks

But....How do you feel about nose rings and metal studs in the side of noses and cheeks on our younger women. I think it looks terrible.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
OK Truce I understand you better now. Thanks

But....How do you feel about nose rings and metal studs in the side of noses and cheeks on our younger women. I think it looks terrible.
Not a fan but hey we are all free to express ourselves as we wish. I don't care for tats either or seeing thongs an inch above their pants. But if one desire tolerance for oneself one must first be tolerant of others.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:35 PM

23,984 posts, read 15,086,618 times
As long as the men who control both houses of congress and most states can decide what kind of birth control women use, there is no such thing as equal rights.

I have no desire to be equal to any man. But if my doctor informs me that the baby I'm carrying is dead, I would like to be able to have the surgery now and not have to wait on nature to take its course. That has happened in my family.

But then, some doctor decided, when I was born that my mother did not need any more children so he sterilized her.

I really don't understand what y'all are bellyaching about.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Will further note on my second longer paragraph about social equality/opportunities of women in regards to household responsibilities. This is a huge factor in regards to the pay disparities between women and men. It is also an issue in regards to promotional opportunities for women versus men.

Women in the US Still do Way More Housework than Men

This link discussed the fact that there was virtually no change in the amount of household chores that women were doing versus men between the years of 2003 and 2014.

From the link, some advice to men:

Red added by me.
My god...I'm so grateful many women don't buy this garbage.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
As long as the men who control both houses of congress and most states can decide what kind of birth control women use, there is no such thing as equal rights.

I have no desire to be equal to any man. But if my doctor informs me that the baby I'm carrying is dead, I would like to be able to have the surgery now and not have to wait on nature to take its course. That has happened in my family.

But then, some doctor decided, when I was born that my mother did not need any more children so he sterilized her.

I really don't understand what y'all are bellyaching about.
That also happened to a member of my family.
I dont understand the bellyaching either and for the life of me I cant get any of the bellyachers to explain just exactly what the problem is. As far as I can see women having equal opportunities and legal rights or fighting for complete reproductive rights on women's issues has not taken any rights or opportunities away from men.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My god...I'm so grateful many women don't buy this garbage.
Well I think it is true that women take on the lions share of domestic and child care even when they work full time and it has been my experience but I dont see it as an issue of equal rights. It is a choice a woman makes. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies