Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:58 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,925,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Simple, when society says one group is allowed to do something while another is not, it's a problem that draws attention.
BAM
first response
/thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:12 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Not necessarily, you guys can often trace your heritage even in the case of being a mutt. Most blacks can only trace so far before things get to be cloudy. I'm not the cause of that. I'm simply stating what the deal is. I have nothing to do with it.

According to my family history, that doesn't go back any farther than my great grandparents on my father's side and my grandparents on my mother's side, I'm "mostly Irish"

But many Irish are multi ethnic in their own backgrounds,

https://www.sott.net/article/263587-...iously-thought

So knowing that 2-3 generations of my family consider us "mostly Irish" doesn't really tell me much.

Combine that with the fact that I recently found out that the man I thought was my maternal grandfather was actually my mother's stepfather and my real grandfather is supposedly American Indian means that my family history, like many whites, is a hodge podge of truth, lies and conjecture.

I'm a mutt.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:12 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Historically, Blacks in America have never been in a position to exclude other in the way they were excluded. And as I've mentioned before, anyone can go to an HBCU. Morehouse having a White valedictorian is proof of that. His story is quite heartwarming. Tragedy turned to something good: Unstereotyped: Meet the white valedictorian of a historically black college - Apr. 28, 2016
Great article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We often agree, but not on this. White people have been victims of a sort. It hasn't been the way black people have been victims, but we've been targeted victims for decades.

It's a constant flow of 'you're not doing enough' or 'you should be doing better' and hey, I've always hired and promoted minorities who were paid the same (in some cases more due to their experience) but that constant flow never goes away. And when I've had to terminate someone who is black, then I'm accused of all kinds of things. Never mind that I hired and promoted them, supported them while trying to get them back on track, etc.

You know a lot about your world - you don't know anything about this.

I think we've discussed the workplace thing before and I agree with you in regards to the black people you fire a lot of the times wanting to accuse you of racism. But please note, like I shared then, whites do the same thing and even black people have accused me of being racist against them "for the white man" (lol) when they were fired for not coming to work on time lol.

But I do disagree that whites have been victims of any sort of racism based on months, or pageants or channels. Also the doing enough or better is just something IMO that goes along with the job and it depends on how you personally view things. The same can be said of black people who are constantly told we need to "be better educated" we need to "fix the black community" (when there is no single "black community") or we should "stop being criminals" and all the other nonsense.

I do not take personal offense to those things because I know that the people saying them are primarily ignorant people. I'll also note that many times on various media outlets that it is usually other white people telling white people these things, not black people. There are a few threads a year around here on CD, for instance about police departments "dumbing down tests" for "blacks." There is NO black group that has advocated dumbing down any tests for civil servant positions. It is usually some white person in state government or local government who makes these recommendations based on them believing black people are too stupid to past test lol.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:16 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
I give very little thought to black-only organizations. On the one hand I understand them because self-segregation is basic human nature

On the other hand, some of them completely baffle me. I grew up with a well-to-do black buddy whose parents decided that his childhood had been too lily-white. So they shipped him to an HBU. The reason this is curious is because the education quality at HBU's isn't exactly known to be of a high quality and a great many of them are constantly in financial trouble due to either fiscal mismanagement, malfeasance or both.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:17 PM

I am a pretty serious genealogist the information below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Lamest excuse ever.

Plenty of whites are "mutts" and have little information about their exact heritage, or even misinformation passed sown by family members.
is VERY correct!!! Most black people in America can trace their ancestry back to 1870 and the 1870 census, was the first to list former slaves. That is over 150 years worth of ancestry. Many whites who are from groups who were persected and even those who were just poor and have recent immigrant ancestors cannot trace their ancestry back as far as a black American can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Not necessarily, you guys can often trace your heritage even in the case of being a mutt. Most blacks can only trace so far before things get to be cloudy. I'm not the cause of that. I'm simply stating what the deal is. I have nothing to do with it.
This is not true at all. Hope you are not buying into a lot of black nationalist stuff as I see them say this a lot. I am black American and I have documented my family history back on my dad's side to the late 1600s and Colonial Virginia. I found I have 6 lines that were free people of color and so I found a lot of information on them (2 on dad's side and 4 on my mom's side, both were shocking to find!).

Of my enslaved ancestors, I have traced a few lines of them to the late 1700s. A majority though only back to the 1860s. However, that is over 150 years worth of genealogy and these were my 4th and 5th great grandparents.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I give very little thought to black-only organizations. On the one hand I understand them because self-segregation is basic human nature

On the other hand, some of them completely baffle me. I grew up with a well-to-do black buddy whose parents decided that his childhood had been too lily-white. So they shipped him to an HBU. The reason this is curious is because the education quality at HBU's isn't exactly known to be of a high quality and a great many of them are constantly in financial trouble due to either fiscal mismanagement, malfeasance or both.

I went to an HBCU, just like other colleges/universities you have ones of excellent quality and ones that are sub par. IMO HBCUs are still sorely needed and I honestly would prefer my kids to go to an HBCU and especially so if they grew up in a majority white area.

Many blacks who grow up in a homogenously white area and school system have a lot of societies ideas ingrained into them about what it means to "be black." Such as all black people like hip hop or are majority poor and criminals and only do or like certain things. Going to an HBCU is a cure for that, especially to a top rated one.

It is hard to describe, but HBCUs provide a VERY unique experience for black people in America. It shows us our true selves IMO free of the stereotypes of society. Also, they do not exclude non-black people, many HBCUs recruit non-black students. See the link above that I reposted about the white student's experience at Morehouse College.

You probably have no idea what their kid went through if they were a minority in high school. Also, there are cultural reasons for choosing an HBCU. IMO it arms black students (if they are paying attention) to the best of black culture and our heritage and place in America.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am a pretty serious genealogist the information below:

is VERY correct!!! Most black people in America can trace their ancestry back to 1870 and the 1870 census, was the first to list former slaves. That is over 150 years worth of ancestry. Many whites who are from groups who were persected and even those who were just poor and have recent immigrant ancestors cannot trace their ancestry back as far as a black American can.

This is not true at all. Hope you are not buying into a lot of black nationalist stuff as I see them say this a lot. I am black American and I have documented my family history back on my dad's side to the late 1600s and Colonial Virginia. I found I have 6 lines that were free people of color and so I found a lot of information on them (2 on dad's side and 4 on my mom's side, both were shocking to find!).

Of my enslaved ancestors, I have traced a few lines of them to the late 1700s. A majority though only back to the 1860s. However, that is over 150 years worth of genealogy and these were my 4th and 5th great grandparents.
I actually don't care for black nationalists, black separatists, or the black "conscious" movements because too often they only support you when you say, do, and think exactly like them. They minute you do anything to deviate from their ways, they are ready to revoke your black card.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
There are scholarships for Polish-Americans.
Scholarships for Polish-Americans
I have started my own scholarships for 1/4 filipino 3/4 caucasian youth who are descended from me.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Honestly, I haven't thought about that particular subject. Historically Black Colleges and Universities are majority Black, most of them. However, anyone can attend them. One important question is this. Given that HBCU's are open to everyone, why aren't there more non-Blacks trying to attend them?

There are TV channels that cater to Whites, Hispanics, and Asians. Last I checked, I seldom ever see people of African descent on Univision or Telemundo, unless it's David Ortiz or some soccer player. I rarely hear complaints on city-data about the Spanish-speaking channels. You can find thread after thread after thread with topics relating to "why do Black people...".

I think it points to Blacks being the most looked down on segment of the U.S. population.
Who is going to start a black owned tv channel?

Who is going to start a black owned magazine?

Who is going to open a black owned bank?

Who is going to open a black owned grocery store?

Who is going to open a black owned auto dealer?

Who is going to open a black owned restaurant?

And since when are there pageants ONLY for whites?

If you all want black owned channels, magazines, businesses, etc, why the hell are you asking whites or non blacks to do it?

Or is this just because you think what is out there isn't getting enough attention? Well then work on your marketing.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:41 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

...Many blacks who grow up in a homogenously white area and school system have a lot of societies ideas ingrained into them about what it means to "be black." Such as all black people like hip hop or are majority poor and criminals and only do or like certain things. Going to an HBCU is a cure for that, especially to a top rated one ...
I need to call this one out. Who are the first people to insult blacks when they "stray" outside the stereotypes that you talk about?

Hint: It's not white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies