Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:41 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Many blacks who grow up in a homogenously white area and school system have a lot of societies ideas ingrained into them about what it means to "be black." Such as all black people like hip hop or are majority poor and criminals and only do or like certain things. Going to an HBCU is a cure for that, especially to a top rated one.
I'm glad you mention this. In high school, this guy's interests were Japanese role playing games and anime. I don't recall him really being into music at all.

His time at an HBU inculcated him with all kinds of black stereotypes. Everything came to be viewed through the prism of his blackness. He was all about rap/hip-hop, weed, "his *******" and a lot of other stuff he never showed interest in during high school.

I can't say that going to an HBU made him this way. Perhaps he always felt this way but had to suppress it at an affluent mostly white high school. But I can say without a doubt that in this case, the HBU introduced or reinforced black stereotypes rather than "cure" them.

Of course, this is one anecdotal example. But our knowledge and opinions is largely based on our own experiences.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:49 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Who is going to start a black owned tv channel?

Who is going to start a black owned magazine?

Who is going to open a black owned bank?

Who is going to open a black owned grocery store?

Who is going to open a black owned auto dealer?

Who is going to open a black owned restaurant?

And since when are there pageants ONLY for whites?

If you all want black owned channels, magazines, businesses, etc, why the hell are you asking whites or non blacks to do it?

Or is this just because you think what is out there isn't getting enough attention? Well then work on your marketing.
I will worry about who starts those later, as they already exist. Why are you bringing up stuff that I'm not even asking about? I'm not asking anyone to start any of those things. The fact that you are asking those questions is indicative of the obsession over Blacks. That is what we are asking. The OP is not asking you to do anything for Black people. He's asking why so many people question everything that Black people do.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You can have clubs and organizations focused on the black race.

Is there a beauty competition for black woman? Is there one for white women?

Are there scholarships specifically geared towards blacks? Are there scholarships specifically geared towards whites?

I guess the better question is: Are you disconnected from what is happening in the Uas?
We started those organizations because we were disallowed from joining those groups during segregation.

So were we just supposed to wait for white acceptance and just sit on our hands until whenever? No. That's why we had to create our own.

OK, so eventually, whites accepted us into those institutions. Were were THEN supposed to close our institutions down when they have valid histories of their own?

No. We'll keep them...thank you very much. The legacy of racism didn't start with us...it started with y'all. Don't ever forget it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Remember he said society....not legally.

With that in mind....

Try starting a White Student Union on any college campus.

See how far you get.
That's none of my concern. White student unions are unnecessary anyway.

Besides, most colleges and are already white students unions by default.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:50 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
As a Brown person myself.....

I feel BET, UNCF, Black History Month, HBCUs, BLM are racist.

Cultures should be celebrated, not colors. And no tv channel should have a skin color mentioned in it either - that is racist.

None of these are owned or operated by black people. A few of them weren't even started by black people.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:53 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
None of these are owned or operated by black people. A few of them weren't even started by black people.
Most HBCU's weren't founded by Black people. They were only founded because Blacks were excluded from most universities. Today, anyone can attend an HBCU if they want. Anyone can attend a predominantly White university. It's about your grades.

BET is owned by Viacom, a White-owned media giant.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So you'd be ok with a Miss White USA and a white students union?
There are organizations specifically for white people in America. So the narrative that "white specific" things aren't banned it false.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I think we've discussed the workplace thing before and I agree with you in regards to the black people you fire a lot of the times wanting to accuse you of racism. But please note, like I shared then, whites do the same thing and even black people have accused me of being racist against them "for the white man" (lol) when they were fired for not coming to work on time lol.

But I do disagree that whites have been victims of any sort of racism based on months, or pageants or channels. Also the doing enough or better is just something IMO that goes along with the job and it depends on how you personally view things. The same can be said of black people who are constantly told we need to "be better educated" we need to "fix the black community" (when there is no single "black community") or we should "stop being criminals" and all the other nonsense.

I do not take personal offense to those things because I know that the people saying them are primarily ignorant people. I'll also note that many times on various media outlets that it is usually other white people telling white people these things, not black people. There are a few threads a year around here on CD, for instance about police departments "dumbing down tests" for "blacks." There is NO black group that has advocated dumbing down any tests for civil servant positions. It is usually some white person in state government or local government who makes these recommendations based on them believing black people are too stupid to past test lol.

I'm highly agitated right now, and really need to get off this topic.

You're getting off track by bringing up racist threads against black people. I get it, but that's not what this thread is about. The OP asked why white people are concerning themselves with what black people do. I posted that white people are venting, and are really mad at progressives, not black people.

You're right in your other post where you say sensitivity training is once or twice a year. I've attended more than forty of them over the years. Enough already.

In addition to that though, a lot more happens between HR and white hiring managers that probably isn't taking place when you hire people. A lot of conversations and such that you're unaware of because you're not white.

Not a day goes by anymore where I don't hear about or read about white privilege. Sometimes it's white male privilege. And I couldn't possibly understand this or that or the other thing. And I should feel guilty because of X, Y and Z.

Guess what? White people are only human, too. If you feel you're doing the right things, but keep hearing how you should be doing more and could be doing better, and then suddenly start hearing you should feel guilt and you're privileged, etc., the end result is going to be that people are going to give up trying.

What I meant when I wrote that white people have been victims, not in the way black people have been victims, but victims nonetheless, I meant victims of constant scrutiny and criticism from progressives, from our current president (sorry, didn't want to bring politics into this, but I'm trying to be real here), the media, and now from some black people that we're racist, supremacists, and have white privilege. Even mild mannered me is going to give up and say 'take a hike'. I've done what I'm supposed to do, I've treated people fairly, I'm in no way privileged, but have had certain advantages that some black people also have, and I'm not going to keep getting banged on the head by people who want to feel like they're superior to other white people, and organizations that want to keep the fire burning between the races.

This isn't about racism against blacks, so don't come back with, 'yes, but we also read threads about'..... This is about why white people call bull ****e on something that if we did it, we'd be shamed, possibly lose our jobs, etc.

It's like we've been verbally beaten up for forty years for doing X to a specific group - even if we weren't doing it - but now the group is doing X to us. And guess what? I'll still be reading about how I should be ashamed, I have white privilege, I'm a racist and supremacist just by virtue of being white, and still need to go to yet another session of sensitivity training and have all those conversations with HR, just because I'm white.

That no media or progressives have a problem with black people doing what they've blasted white people for doing, is hypocritical on the part of the media and progressives, and white people have a damn right to be p*ssed.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

You're getting off track by bringing up racist threads against black people. I get it, but that's not what this thread is about. The OP asked why white people are concerning themselves with what black people do. I posted that white people are venting, and are really mad at progressives, not black people.

You're right in your other post where you say sensitivity training is once or twice a year. I've attended more than forty of them over the years. Enough already.

In addition to that though, a lot more happens between HR and white hiring managers that probably isn't taking place when you hire people. A lot of conversations and such that you're unaware of because you're not white.

Not a day goes by anymore where I don't hear about or read about white privilege. Sometimes it's white male privilege. And I couldn't possibly understand this or that or the other thing. And I should feel guilty because of X, Y and Z.

Guess what? White people are only human, too. If you feel you're doing the right things, but keep hearing how you should be doing more and could be doing better, and then suddenly start hearing you should feel guilt and you're privileged, etc., the end result is going to be that people are going to give up trying.

What I meant when I wrote that white people have been victims, not in the way black people have been victims, but victims nonetheless, I meant victims of constant scrutiny and criticism from progressives, from our current president (sorry, didn't want to bring politics into this, but I'm trying to be real here), the media, and now from some black people that we're racist, supremacists, and have white privilege. Even mild mannered me is going to give up and say 'take a hike'. I've done what I'm supposed to do, I've treated people fairly, I'm in no way privileged, but have had certain advantages that some black people also have, and I'm not going to keep getting banged on the head by people who want to feel like they're superior to other white people, and organizations that want to keep the fire burning between the races.

This isn't about racism against blacks, so don't come back with, 'yes, but we also read threads about'..... This is about why white people call bull ****e on something that if we did it, we'd be shamed, possibly lose our jobs, etc.

It's like we've been verbally beaten up for forty years for doing X to a specific group - even if we weren't doing it - but now the group is doing X to us. And guess what? I'll still be reading about how I should be ashamed, I have white privilege, I'm a racist and supremacist just by virtue of being white, and still need to go to yet another session of sensitivity training and have all those conversations with HR, just because I'm white.

That no media or progressives have a problem with black people doing what they've blasted white people for doing, is hypocritical on the part of the media and progressives, and white people have a damn right to be p*ssed.

I've mentioned several times that white privilege is the right be be judged individually. No other ethnic group are looked at as individually as white people are in America. And I mean nobody else.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

SJW response: you need more sensitivity training.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I've mentioned several times that white privilege is the right be be judged individually. No other ethnic group are looked at as individually as white people are in America. And I mean nobody else.
I hate everyone. Where does that put me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies