Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,304,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't be so sure. I am a pediatric nurse, and I disagree, depending, of course, on the nature of the surgery.
Don't forget - kids can now get cosmetic surgeries - nose jobs, ear jobs - stuff like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 02:50 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,208,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't be so sure. I am a pediatric nurse, and I disagree, depending, of course, on the nature of the surgery.
If it is a truly preventative surgery, I doubt he would get it unless the parents could pay for it. Of course it depends on many circumstances, but the US is not known for preventative care.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Don't forget - kids can now get cosmetic surgeries - nose jobs, ear jobs - stuff like that
Only if the parents can pay thousands for it.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
Only if the parents can pay thousands for it.
You made the following, blanket statement (no qualifiers):

Quote:
Your son would not get a "preventive" surgery in the US if he is not insured, and would likely be turned down even if he was insured until it became a much bigger problem.
The inference was, wasn't going to happen regardless.

That is simply not true

Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
Geeezzz. I have posted plenty of info on this thread and other threads. And I come back w/ a simple request . . . I want my free healthcare. Where do I sign up?

Or what politician should I back? Cause . . . what I hear the candidates saying . . . and what I see posted on these threads about UHI . . . well . . . it doesn't jive.

So someone . . . please tell me how I get in on this bargain healthcare that everyone seems to think they know so much about. This wave of the future. Sign me up. Or tell me where to go sign up.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
If it is a truly preventative surgery, I doubt he would get it unless the parents could pay for it. Of course it depends on many circumstances, but the US is not known for preventative care.
That is another "myth". Most states require such services as well-baby, maternity, annual physical, immunizations, paps, mammograms, etc. to be covered in insurance policies. In fact, that is one reason insurance is so expensive. With a few exceptions, it is hard to get "catastrophic only" insurance.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I want free health care. Where can I sign up?
Healthcare is not free, it's about everyone paying so that every American has basic health care. Every other western country seems to understand this. I pay taxes, I can afford health insurance premiums, but I realize not everyone can. Unlike many self involved greedy americans, I care about my fellow citizens and believe a healthy country is a strong country.

I don't understand people who only care about themselves.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You made the following, blanket statement (no qualifiers):

The inference was, wasn't going to happen regardless.

That is simply not true
Yes, and I corrected it.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I don't understand people who only care about themselves.
Do you want to also provide insurance to those in the United States illegally?

And, what about those who have volutarily decided that they do not want to purchase health insurance for themselves? They don't want it? Are you going to force them to have insurance?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
Yes, and I corrected it.
But, you were still wrong. The child had some condition that was being "watched"; if it didn't get better, the child would need surgery. That makes perfect sense to me. That's not quite the same thing as preventive. That is the word the parent used to explain the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies