Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
if you are a non-PROG you believe this.

If you are a PROG you have told people that such thinking is homophobic, trans-phobic racist, misogynist bigoted and will likely cause Roe to be overturned.

and you probably don't like tofu!
The problem is you can't have everyone choosing the same school, if they do, price of enrollment goes up, and those that aren't lucky enough to have rich parents get left out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 01:01 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The problem is you can't have everyone choosing the same school, if they do, price of enrollment goes up, and those that aren't lucky enough to have rich parents get left out
my grandfather wrote the first bill in his state to standardize teacher pay. was president of the Teachers Association in his state. 4 of his 5 children were college educated. (the one that isn't, is married to a psychologist). 2 of his children were educators. I have no less than 8 cousins that are educators.

Education is the main topic of conversation in my family. I am more than familiar with all the aspects of the subject. Let me just say that your view is just flat wrong. The problem is the education system has been broken. It is underserving everyone and especially those at greatest risk.

Progressives took over the education system and promptly broke it. So please don't make some insipid retread PROG argument to hold up your broken PROG system.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Based on what I've heard, and after quickly skimming through the article you shared, it sounds like you're being generous.
Yes I was.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, are you saying the districts in Dallas and Houston don't hav AP classes?

Digging deeper to get out of that snobby post of yours just makes it harder to climb out.
They may have AP classes, but "general population" schools in suburban areas around New York City destroy those in suburban areas in Texas as a whole. All statistics point to that. There are maybe 4 good high schools in all of suburban Houston, there are dozens in the NYC metro area.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:58 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The fracturing of this country's education system will continue with the GOP in control again. An attempt to privatize education has been going on in many states led by for profit corporations that also control much of the private prison lobby. Pat Toomey (R-PA) takes hundreds of thousands dollars from these companies and does their will.

Charter/Cyber schools have proven to provide bad results and hurts the funding of the actual schools. Who needs school though once the clean coal factories open amirite?
Charter schools are the best use of money. If Public schools cannot compete, then Public schools need to find a way to step up their game plan and stop catering to the lowest common denominator.

Private education has almost always performed above that of a public school, and charter schools as well. I would vote for vouchers for charter schools any day.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:01 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Kids who go to great public schools like Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, etc, don't go to those kind of schools because they aren't needed....we have AP classes.
In first grade? You realize gifted kids (IQs of ~125+) are gifted even when very young, no? A 1st grader may be reading at the 6th grade level and/or be capable of doing math at the 6th grade level. What's available for them in the public schools before the AP classes kick in 10th grade?

And, yes, there are kids like that all over the U.S. Certain colleges like Northwestern, Duke, Stanford, etc., have academic Talent Searches in which 3rd graders take standardized tests meant for 8th graders, and 6th graders take the ACT or the SAT. And, yes, some kids ace those tests meant for kids 5 years older than they. What do the public schools have to offer them? Usually nothing but sitting there year after year after year, learning nothing. That educational abuse needs to STOP.

Talent Search Opportunities

Old 11-09-2016, 02:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In first grade? You realize gifted kids (IQs of ~125+) are gifted even when very young, no? A 1st grader may be reading at the 6th grade level and/or be capable of doing math at the 6th grade level. What's available for them in the public schools before the AP classes kick in 10th grade?

And, yes, there are kids like that all over the U.S. Certain colleges like Northwestern, Duke, Stanford, etc., have academic Talent Searches in which 3rd graders take standardized tests meant for 8th graders, and 6th graders take the ACT or the SAT. And, yes, some kids ace those tests meant for kids 5 years older than they. What do the public schools have to offer them? Usually nothing but sitting there year after year after year, learning nothing. That educational abuse needs to STOP.

80% of graduates of my local high school go to college...the top 5 are always ivy leaguers.

I call that educational success, and I don't need some clown from Texas telling me how my kids school should be run.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Complex issues like an education system that costs more money every year, yet Johnny still can't read?

Complex issues like administrators in DC making education decisions for kids locally, without understanding the unique issues facing that area at all?

Complex issues like unions that put teachers first and kids second?

Complex issues like choice, and freedom and learning?

You do understand that it's blacks support vouchers overwhelmingly, right?
Yep. Blacks and Hispanics. 2/3 of both groups want school vouchers.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
my grandfather wrote the first bill in his state to standardize teacher pay. was president of the Teachers Association in his state. 4 of his 5 children were college educated. (the one that isn't, is married to a psychologist). 2 of his children were educators. I have no less than 8 cousins that are educators.

Education is the main topic of conversation in my family. I am more than familiar with all the aspects of the subject. Let me just say that your view is just flat wrong. The problem is the education system has been broken. It is underserving everyone and especially those at greatest risk.

Progressives took over the education system and promptly broke it. So please don't make some insipid retread PROG argument to hold up your broken PROG system.
And when did progressives take over the education system?

Old 11-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
80% of graduates of my local high school go to college...the top 5 are always ivy leaguers.
That in NO way addresses the problem I've raised. Try again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies