Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 05:58 PM

1,285 posts, read 592,634 times

Advertisements

By the way, in response to someone that claimed patients were gaming their Health Insurance by visiting the doctor for every little thing.
Here is a graph from the OECD on the number of doctor visits by country.
The US is well below the OECD average.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ta-by-country/

Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My family's primary care office has many Medicare patients who visit once or twice a week. It fills a social need and includes the patient's favorite topic, me, me, me.

He set up group appointments for those with similar conditions, mostly diabetes. His patients resisted and moaned and groaned and then something clicked. Suddenly they had a pack of new friends. The MD then delegated these appointment to one of his Physisican Assistants. His patients were skeptical. Then they liked her better than him.

After the group appointment, the pack heads to a nearby coffee shop for pie and coffee where they trash talk politics and long for the good ole days. If a regular misses an appointment, they call and check in.
I've never seen anything like this in my practice nor heard about such a thing in my town.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
By the way, in response to someone that claimed patients were gaming their Health Insurance by visiting the doctor for every little thing.
Here is a graph from the OECD on the number of doctor visits by country.
The US is well below the OECD average.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ta-by-country/
I remember the Japanese having way more visits than us. Office visits, especially for simple things are not the major HC cost drivers.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Oh pshaw! Nothing new there. Here's hoping The Donald knows debt!
He better leave the Chinese alone.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:45 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I refuse to buy health insurance until I can tailor my plan for me. I don't need to have all that female junk added for me since I am a guy.

Get rid of the mandate.
Well, women don't have prostate or testicles either. One half of men over the age of 60 will develop BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) which requires tests, examination (the old bend over and cough), frequent insertion of indwelling catheters, the old roto rooter, surgery, etc.

There are other organs that you don't need to have covered because you don't appear to have them.

I agree-get rid of the mandate, and when you require treatment in an ER, PAY UPFRONT.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I've never seen anything like this in my practice nor heard about such a thing in my town.
I've never heard of anything like this either, and I wonder how Medicare looks at this. Sounds like an awful lot of visits for them to pay for.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Well, women don't have prostate or testicles either. One half of men over the age of 60 will develop BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) which requires tests, examination (the old bend over and cough), frequent insertion of indwelling catheters, the old roto rooter, surgery, etc.

There are other organs that you don't need to have covered because you don't appear to have them.

I agree-get rid of the mandate, and when you require treatment in an ER, PAY UPFRONT.
Men do get breast cancer.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I've never heard of anything like this either, and I wonder how Medicare looks at this. Sounds like an awful lot of visits for them to pay for.
If there is legitimate and proper documentation, it might just pass. At some point though it might raise a red flag and then an audit.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:45 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Most people will eventially move from the normal pool to the high-risk pool. Even if you are perfectly healthy one day, something minor such as a benign breast lump or an enlarged prostate or a funny looking mole(that wasn't skin cancer after it was checked) could put someone in the pre-existing category, even if they didn't have cancer and surgery/prescription wasn't necessary for their situation.

Even someone with migraines can be considered high-risk and fall into the pre-existing category, even if they have nothing else wrong. Get bronchitis one winter could put someonel= into the pre-existing category(true story, a family member of mine had bronchitis and it was deemed preexisting even though just a simple doctors visit and prescription for antibiotic occurred).

This is the scary part - you could decide to open your own business and be healthy and buy insurance in the open(individual market) and the next year you might fall into the pre-existing condition category for some minor illness that you had (such as got your appendix removed) even though you are 100% healthy again. Once into pre-existing category, you might be uninsurabe for the rest of your life.

Do you have red hair and freckles and had 3 sunburns in your life? This might put you at risk for skin cancer and could be a pre-existing condition.
I was denied health insurance except for one very high priced plan (over $800/more than half of my take home income at the time if memory serves with a 5 figure deductible) when I was 22. Why? Because I had sought counseling after a rape, had a bladder condition that I grew out of more than a decade prior, and had PCOS that was controlled by diet and exercise.

I went without until I found a job with benefits, which was a challenge at the height of the recession as a recent grad. 4 months later, I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Had I been diagnosed a few months earlier, I would have been screwed - and not for lack of trying to do the right thing! With lifelong side effects I will have to deal with that are manageable, but still require medical intervention, I would never be able to purchase insurance on the open market again.

My boyfriend was able to open a small business that has been very successful, now employing 5 people in a very hard hit area of the Rust Belt as a result of the ACA. With severe, sometimes debilitating IBS, he couldn't find insurance that would cover him until the ACA rolled around. One of his employees is his mother who lost her job at 59 years old and was just going to hope for the best until she qualified for Medicare due to the lack of employment opportunities with benefits. She lost her job after being out for a few months due to surgery, so it's not like she was going to be able to purchase her own insurance either.

There's a huge gap between qualifying for Medicaid and being able to afford insurance if you have preexisting conditions. The ACA isn't perfect, but everyone needs insurance. You can be a relatively healthy 23 year old and be diagnosed with stage IV cancer, like me. You're only healthy until you're not.

My friends in the young adult cancer world are quite concerned.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
4 months later, I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Had I been diagnosed a few months earlier, I would have been screwed - and not for lack of trying to do the right thing!
You wouldn't be screwed, you would be dead. You wouldn't have gone in until you were so sick that the cancer would have spread. Because thats what you do when you can't afford it.

Thats how my mom died. Got sick, never went in until a ambulance took her because she couldn't afford it she said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies