Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 07:54 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times

Advertisements

But can he fix the F-35?

Old 12-02-2016, 08:00 AM

1,229 posts, read 859,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
As for "good choice" this is a guy who pedals conspiracy theories as if they were facts. That's why he earned the name "Mad Dog Mattis."
I remember very well when you wrote that Hillary's ill health was a " conspiracy theory" and then the following week or shortly thereafter, she collasped like a limp rag doll and then was incoherently dragged into a van with her shoes falling off. Im still betting she is very sick.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:01 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Oh yeah, this guy is a real peach. Has about the same mindset as Trump, except he actually loves to kill people. Just what we need, one loose cannon in the WH and another one controlling the military.
Some people just need killing.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
Oooorrrraaaahhhh!! Kill em all, let allah sort em out!

Old 12-02-2016, 08:38 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
The DOD job is more than just what happens in the battlefield, it's about managing one of the largest and most inefficent bureacracies in the universe. Wasteful programs, congressional intervention, he will need to be a good administrator and get some very good help. We had some very good secretaries in the past and they indicated what a difficult time, $600B budget and around 2M employees.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I know that. BUT

If George Catlett Marshall could get a waiver, so can General Mattis.

All he needs is a waiver and it is not hard to get.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:09 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I know that. BUT

He needs eight Democrat votes in favor of the waiver in the US Senate. Maybe you know something that I don't, but so far it is not clear to me whether this will be easy or hard.

If the Democrats refuse to grant the waiver, they will have set stage for petty acrimony right out of the gate and they will have established a new precedent that deference to a new president's nominees will no longer be respected, which if course will eventually be applied to them the next time a Democrat wins the White House.

After this last election, and in front of the 2018 contest where the Democrats will have 25 Senate seats to defend in an off-year election, do they really want to take this posture? I suspect not, but these people are all about the political football match, first and foremost. They will be exercising unusual restraint and self-control if they are somehow able to refrain from turning this into an 'Animal House' class food fight spectacle.

My guess is that they grant him the waiver, but I sure wouldn't bet any money on it.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Now, if we can only get a State Department Secretary nicknamed Big Grizzly and a Press Secretary nicknamed Copperhead, it would make my day.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:46 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The DOD job is more than just what happens in the battlefield, it's about managing one of the largest and most inefficent bureacracies in the universe. Wasteful programs, congressional intervention, he will need to be a good administrator and get some very good help. We had some very good secretaries in the past and they indicated what a difficult time, $600B budget and around 2M employees.
But it's not like they ever get audited or held responsible.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Take a breath... it might not be all bad. This is from Slate... not exactly a conservative or pro Trump rag. I was rather surprised.

Mattis is reportedly Donald Trump's defense secretary pick.
Well, that article is focused on hoping that Gen. Mattis can convince an unfit man not to do the most heinous things he advocated on the campaign trail. I hope so, but that's setting the bar pretty low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
to the nay sayers, one of mattis favorite quotes is engage your brain before you engage your weapon. he is tough, hard nosed marine, just the kind of guy to be the secretary of defense, but he is also going to be someone who thinks about what needs to be done before doing it.
I have little doubt that Gen. Mattis is smart enough, though I think a better position would have been National Security Advisor or CIA--maybe even State.

Quote:
He seems like a good choice but he will need a waiver approved because he was active less than 10 years ago. Historically we have not put military in charge of the military.
Yes, civilian control of the military is a long historic tradition in the United States. This is an erosion of that legacy, and the impact will reverberate long after this presidential term, assuming that Gen. Mattis gets a waiver & confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Great choice for Sec of Defense.
I'm not so sure about that--this role is about managing the bureaucracy & I'm not sure that it's the best use of Gen. Mattis' talents. The role is also about bridging the gap between military commanders and the previously civilian Commander-in-Chief, and given this President's inexperience, I think there is reason to be concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
But can he fix the F-35?
LOL--even with a procurement maven like Ashton Carter, we have made little headway on the F-35 debacles. Oh, and Pratt & Whitney, subsidiary of United Technologies (also owner of Carrier), just so happens to be the engine maker for the F-35 . . .

Quote:
Exactly. Exactly. We have the Joint Chiefs to command the battlefield. We have a Secretary of Defense to manage the bureaucracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I know that. BUT

I mean, George Marshall was one of the most accomplished military officers the United States ever produced--especially in matters that straddle the line between military & diplomatic affairs. There's no sentence that should start "If George Catlett Marshall could ___, so can ____. I mean, we call the plan that rebuilt Europe post-WWII the Marshall Plan for good reason.

A waiver is hard to get. Marshall is the only waiver ever issued, and accompanying that waiver was a statement by Congress that this should only happen because of the unique qualities Marshall brought to the spot at a sensitive time. Marshall had been Secretary of State before becoming Secretary of Defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
He needs eight Democrat votes in favor of the waiver in the US Senate. Maybe you know something that I don't, but so far it is not clear to me whether this will be easy or hard.

If the Democrats refuse to grant the waiver, they will have set stage for petty acrimony right out of the gate and they will have established a new precedent that deference to a new president's nominees will no longer be respected, which if course will eventually be applied to them the next time a Democrat wins the White House.

After this last election, and in front of the 2018 contest where the Democrats will have 25 Senate seats to defend in an off-year election, do they really want to take this posture? I suspect not, but these people are all about the political football match, first and foremost. They will be exercising unusual restraint and self-control if they are somehow able to refrain from turning this into an 'Animal House' class food fight spectacle.

My guess is that they grant him the waiver, but I sure wouldn't bet any money on it.
I agree with some of your analysis. Not granting the waiver is not the same thing as disrespecting a President's nominees generally. If Gen. Mattis were nominated for Director of the CIA, there wouldn't be any acrimony. This is different. I think he will get a waiver after the expenditure of considerable political capital.

Last edited by TheCityTheBridge; 12-02-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies