Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
only a quarter voted against him, really?

Clinton: 65,476,535 votes (48.1%)
Trump: 62,821,935 votes (46.1%)

Current statistics from the project estimate that 231,556,622 Americans were eligible to vote in the 2016 presidential elections. Of those, an estimated 134,457,600 voted.

It's a real stretch to say that only 1/4 of the country voted against him, in fact it's a silly as if I were to say that 3/4 of the country supported Clinton, huh?
I think the point is of the 231m eligible voters only 134m actually came out and voted...slightly more than 50%

of that 134m... 62m said trump..65m said Clinton

that said 62m or 65m is only about 1/4 of the eligible voters

but we don't and shouldn't use a popular vote

30 states said trump over hitlery who only could get 20 states (plus DC) to vote for her

the states spoke..they don't trust another clinton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 09:11 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,553,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It is painful to watch the president they love hated by the other half of the country. It is easier to attack than defend. When one is on the side that dislikes the man in office, they can just sit by and insult.

Trump supporters are rejoicing now but trust me, they will grow tired of how much the president they like is disliked by over half of the country. Over half. They will grow weary of defending him. And if he privatizes Medicare and Social Security, a lot of unpleasantness will likely follow; only time will tell. For those that think they will get rich with Social Security privatization and will then have no problem affording private insurance policies at 70, Enron employees thought they would be rich too.

The electoral college may elect the president, but it doesn't negate that a much larger portion of the country did not want Trump. They are reminded daily that a small number of rural voters had more power than entire metropolitan areas. Both areas may work and pay taxes but saying those large areas have less say is not going to wear well when Trump makes those inevitable mistakes.
His supporters will "learn" nothing. They are cultists. They are constitutionally incapable of criticizing him. They elected him because they foolishly believed that he is an "outsider" and will "drain the swamp" of "elites." Now, before their very eyes, he's not only not draining the swamp, he's filling it with nothing but insiders and elites, most of whom--like Trump--aren't even remotely qualified for these positions. His supporters don't care, and they will never care. In fact, many of them are driven by the same chaotic, slash-and-burn impulses as Trump. They derive pleasure from destruction. Post a criticism of Trump and, like the good little brainwashed soldiers that they are, they will respond with calling you a "snowflake." Cultists, they are in thrall to the rhetoric of their leader. Not much to be done about it, frankly.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I think the point is of the 231m eligible voters only 134m actually came out and voted...slightly more than 50%
of that 134m... 62m said trump..65m said Clinton
that said 62m or 65m is only about 1/4 of the eligible voters
but we don't and shouldn't use a popular vote
30 states said trump over hitlery who only could get 20 states (plus DC) to vote for her
the states spoke..they don't trust another clinton
But haven't you figured out that your logic works perfectly well in the other direction, i.e. only 1/4 of the people did not vote for Clinton?

Old 12-07-2016, 10:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
trump won 30 states to hitlery's 20
well, since we are being silly...the cumulative population of 10 of the states that Trump won have 3 million fewer people than New York State (South Dakota, North Dakota, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kansas.)

Old 12-08-2016, 12:32 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Obama 2008 had a wide margin of victory, as did Reagan in his elections & Clinton '96 (all looking at popular vote). There will be more landslides on that order.
All of those amount to ancient times in politics, especially Reagans wins. Never again will you see another candidate pull 49 out of 50 states. Country is so much more divided now and doesn't show signs of letting up soon.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:33 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Secretary Clinton won the popular vote by 2 Million votes. How wonderful, I can just see her standing in front of a mirror repeating endlessly, I won the popular vote, I won the popular vote, I won the popular vote, I won the popular........................................... ..................................................
....clicking her heels together all the while.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:23 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
People are scared to be outed as Trump voters.
I know some 'undercover' trump supporters in my social circle who just want to avoid being labelled a racist or sexist so they say out loud that they voted for Hillary but in reality they voted for Trump. All these media polls & statistics have proved to be fake & made up so I dont believe anything they say. I talk to people around me & read through the public forums to get a gist of peoples' opinions & views. Even the protestors are hired help & a lot of them didnt even bother to vote. So I dont trust this so called invisible half of the country hating Trump. If he does a good job we will keep him, if not, we will switch our votes next elections & kick him out. Give him a fair chance for now.
I suppose there may be undercover Trumpies where you live, but there sure aren't any here. While many of the people I know in this town would have preferred a more "textbook" conservative as their candidate, once Trump became the nominee, they supported him, and not only were they not embarrassed, they assumed everyone they met would support him, as well. Not only were liberals treated as nonexistent, when we spoke up, we were subjected to a pile-on lecture about our flawed beliefs. I have met, in this town, exactly *five* other people I know for sure voted against Trump. I'm sure there are others, but they're keeping quiet about it.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This isn't a coherent rebuttal of the other posters point.
You mean this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Over half the country? I don't like Trump, but you people are inept if you think half the country dislikes him. Hell, only a 1/4 of the country voted against him.

Seriously, if you people want to gain support, you have got to stop the stupid lies.
It's hard to rebut coherently, due to its own incoherence. Is the fact that 1/4 of the country voted against him supposed to imply that the other 3/4 supported him? That would put in his column all those who didn't vote at all. That seems like a bit of a leap to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies