Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 03:50 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,375,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The electoral college has ruined more than one election. Not time to abandon it? Why?
The thought of Al Gore being President on 9/11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 04:50 PM

856 posts, read 705,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
What I sincerely hope that the Democrats learned this year is to pick a better candidate next time. I'm not optimistic about Trump, but the ball is in his court. We'll see what he does next.

I agree that Libertarianism will gradually take over and the Republican Party will gradually die out. The old guard in the GOP preaches fiscal conservatism but doesn't practice what they preach. They obsess over issues of telling people how to live their lives and wasteful expensive government programs. Libertarians want to get back to an America that isn't running around the world "beating up the bad guys." Neither Dems nor GOP have an credibility there. At present, only the actual Libertarians have any credibility and momentum as a party for the future.

Just don't call us "Republicans" or "Conservatives." We are neither of those things.
I believe the Democratic Party needs another Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton ran to the center-left on social issues, but more towards the center on economic issues. Hillary Clinton ran to the far left on both, and I would argue even Obama was socially less liberal than Clinton as a candidate in 2008.

If Donald Trump is a successful President, I think the Democrats might have a difficult time winning in 2020. Generally, the party in power loses after two terms, not one.

If Donald Trump is not a successful President, the Democratic Party will have an opportunity much like that of Ronald Reagan in 1980. I firmly believe that if they nominated a candidate who adhered to the party's views socially but who was closer to the center on fiscal issues, they would win a significant number of Republicans who are young, female, living in suburbs, and or college educated. A number of these Republicans voted for Clinton this year, but most didn't because although they dislike Trump, they viewed him as far better than Hillary.

I admit I was wrong about Donald Trump. I thought that a radical leftist with a lot of ethical issues running as the GOP nominee could not defeat a radical leftist with a lot of ethical issues running as the Democratic nominee. Apparently, I was right in terms of popularity, but wrong in terms of the electoral college. The Democratic Party can move in the direction of Bill Clinton, which helped them win the white house twice for the first time since FDR, or they can continue to be a radical left-wing party.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:59 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
People are scared to be outed as Trump voters.
I know some 'undercover' trump supporters in my social circle who just want to avoid being labelled a racist or sexist so they say out loud that they voted for Hillary but in reality they voted for Trump. All these media polls & statistics have proved to be fake & made up so I dont believe anything they say. I talk to people around me & read through the public forums to get a gist of peoples' opinions & views. Even the protestors are hired help & a lot of them didnt even bother to vote. So I dont trust this so called invisible half of the country hating Trump. If he does a good job we will keep him, if not, we will switch our votes next elections & kick him out. Give him a fair chance for now.
In my town, every Trump sign in front yards was down before the election evening was done. One friend who was a Trump supporter makes a point, every time he sees me, of telling me that he didn't actually vote for him.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:03 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Default Trump Will Do Fine And People Will See The Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
More people may warm up to him if he does a decent job.
People will warm up to him eventually. The economy is going to improve if Trump gets any cooperation from Congress. I don't think there'll be any "lessons" like the OP is suggesting, except that Obama was terrible and he left us a big mess after we all had to put up with him for eight years. The only real lesson here is that conservatism makes for a better society. Militant leftists will continue to complain that they don't still have their "utopia".

Old 11-26-2016, 05:22 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
People will warm up to him eventually. The economy is going to improve if Trump gets any cooperation from Congress. I don't think there'll be any "lessons" like the OP is suggesting, except that Obama was terrible and he left us a big mess after we all had to put up with him for eight years. The only real lesson here is that conservatism makes for a better society. Militant leftists will continue to complain that they don't still have their "utopia".
Although if the economy does not improve or gets worst, it will be harder to blame the liberals, since the presidency and congress is controlled by republicans. The next election would likely favor the liberals if Trump can't get the economy to improve.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:29 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
People will warm up to him eventually.
And if people don't warm up to him eventually? If it comes to pass that he mixes business with government, appears to personally profit by his role as president, appears to make his family and in-laws the most important members of his cabinet? Appears to create conflict inside and outside of the country? Continues to refuse to release his tax returns creating questions about his finances that grow suspicion?

Saying people will warm up to him eventually doesn't mean it will happen.

Here is what Scotland thinks of Trump after eight years:

“If America wants to know what is coming, it should study what happened here. It’s predictive,” said Martin Ford, a local government representative. “I have just seen him do in America, on a grander scale, precisely what he did here. He suckered the people and he suckered the politicians until he got what he wanted, and then he went back on pretty much everything he promised.”

Scottish villagers in the way of a golf course learn Trump

Old 11-26-2016, 05:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Your last point explains it and is the down fall of your point! The Electoral College was design just so major cities do not dictate for the rest of the country.

Trump is surrounding himself with quality people and did not just his buddies or major donors. Just like Obama and Clinton has done for 8 years. Pay to Play!

Obama actually has defunded Medicare and moved the money over to Obama Care which is a total failure.

Trump would not of won if it was not for him reaching out to the common man and woman. HRC spent more time telling us that America is "Deplorable!
Can't rep you again. The American people are sick and tired of the left and their name calling. Did they really expect to call people racist, Nazi's, deplorable etc.. and those people would vote for them.

It's not just the name calling of course but you can't constantly cater to big money and the poor who both have their hands in the pockets of the middle class and then expect them to vote for more of it.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Can't rep you again. The American people are sick and tired of the left and their name calling. Did they really expect to call people racist, Nazi's, deplorable etc.. and those people would vote for them.

It's not just the name calling of course but you can't constantly cater to big money and the poor who both have their hands in the pockets of the middle class and then expect them to vote for more of it.
So they vote for Trump. The irony. This is how Trump treats the middle class when he doesn't get his way. These people in Scotland refused to sell their homes to him:

President-elect Donald Trump has already built a wall, not on the border with Mexico, but on the border of his exclusive golf course in northeastern Scotland, blocking the sea view of residents who refused to sell their homes.

And then he sent them the bill.

David and Moira Milne had already been threatened with legal action by Trump’s lawyers, who claimed a corner of their garage belonged to him, when they came home from work one day to find his staff building a fence around their garden. Two rows of grown trees went up next, blocking the view. Their water and electricity lines were temporarily cut. And then a bill for about $3,500 arrived in the mail, which, David Milne said, went straight into the trash.

So do Susan and John Munro, who also refused to sell and now face an almost 15-foot-high earthen wall built by Trump’s people on two sides of their property.

Michael Forbes, a quarry worker whose home sits on the opposite side of the Trump property, added a second flag — “Hillary for President” — perhaps because Trump publicly accused him of living “like a pig” and called him a “disgrace” for not selling his “disgusting” and “slumlike” home.

Scottish villagers in the way of a golf course learn Trump

Old 11-26-2016, 05:43 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Unfortunately it's both sides doing the name calling. How many times have liberals been called wussies, communists, reverse racists, or criminals. Name calling is not partisan issue, it's a bullying issue.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Unfortunately it's both sides doing the name calling. How many times have liberals been called wussies, communists, reverse racists, or criminals. Name calling is not partisan issue, it's a bullying issue.
Republicans can call me anything they like, I know how this will turn out. This is the build up before the fall and it's going to be epic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies