Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:24 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I'm sure reading these is like fiction to someone with such poor reading comprehension. I didn't say or even suggest Obama did nothing, I said he was a liar. But since you probably don't recognize him as such you probably just overlooked it and replaced it with your bias, just like liberals have been doing for years.
Fair, my bad, but not due to bias...

Your going from Trump doing nothing to Obama the liar confused me more than just a little, no doubt, but okay..., Obama did plenty, perhaps we agree.

Also a liar? About what? Specifics instead of this sort of rhetoric help a lot if the idea is to make any sense of politics, right?

You mean his political promise to allow you to keep your doctor with Obamacare, for example? This is a "lie" often complained about by anti-Obama types, and partly justified, but not really...

I still have my doctor, but I know some people have not been able to do the same, and I also know why.

Do you?

If this is what you deem the making of a "liar," then no doubt every politician is a liar, or made a liar, because no person running for office can in any way truly predict or "promise" what Congress will eventually do with their campaign promises, not unless they can accomplish what they want by way of executive order.

Surely we all know this, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 10:26 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
[quote=DorianRo;46314886]He can kiss any damn re-election goodbye if he is just to go "Obama it". Promise the world, and deliver NOTHING. The American people aren't going to be hoodwinked again and give a 2nd term to another liar

Why don't people follow through on s*** anymore?? [/quote

Trump is on tracks and the real work begins from Day 1. Not a day sooner!

Old 11-26-2016, 10:27 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The proof will be in the first 100 days!
OK, then. All criticism should be withheld until day 101 of the Trump Reich, which would be May 1, 2017?

Old 11-26-2016, 10:28 AM

23,995 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Fair, my bad, but not due to bias...

Your going from Trump doing nothing to Obama the liar confused me more than just a little, no doubt, but okay..., Obama did plenty, perhaps we agree.

Also a liar? About what? Specifics instead of this sort of rhetoric help a lot if the idea is to make any sense of politics, right?

You mean his political promise to allow you to keep your doctor with Obamacare, for example? This is a "lie" often complained about by anti-Obama types, and partly justified, but not really...

I still have my doctor, but I know some people have not been able to do the same, and I also know why.

Do you?

If this is what you deem the making of a "liar," then no doubt every politician is a liar, or made a liar, because no person running for office can in any way truly predict or "promise" what Congress will eventually do with their campaign promises, not unless they can accomplish what they want by way of executive order.

Surely we all know this, right?
Obama did not lie. The insurance companies changed their plans, Not Obama or the ACA.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Unless you're prepared to cite those measures and defend the methodology each employed to arrive at their conclusions, it's still not factual. Facts have to be proven. Your opinion can be based on anything.
Fair, but what conclusions are you truly questioning as not true? I have read plenty enough evidence over the years to convince me the truth of what I am explaining here, so much that I'm a little surprised about your questioning. What proof are you asking for, about what?

That the average American citizen is sufficiently knowledgeable about politics, economics, history or how our system of government works (or doesn't)? You need proof of this?

Your opinion, on the other hand, is that most or enough Americans vote and are quite knowledgeable enough?

Am I understanding you correctly?

Old 11-26-2016, 10:31 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
Maybe if the American people weren't idiots, this wouldn't have happened.

A life long apolitical Democrat suddenly has a super pro-American agenda. Now, that right there was bizarre to me. But let's assume he does actually feel that way, what experience does he have in Washington that would allow him to get any of that done? Already, he's surrounded himself with people who don't necessarily share is potentially false passion. And even then, the president does not draft laws. His powers are limited and much of what he does requires the approval (or at least indifference) of congress.

We should spend less time worrying about who the president is and more time looking at congress. It's actually one of two or three reasons I voted for Clinton even though I despise her. She's one corrupt politician in one office. Congress is hundreds of them. That's where the problem lies. The amount of coverage the presidential election gets is unjustified. Congress is at least equally important, if not more so and is far more deserving of scrutiny the the executive office.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
How about the polling numbers, the women who's own families say they are lying? Either of those ring a bell?
I'm sensing a disconnect on the responsibility the media has in your reply.

Did the media falsify the polls, or did they report the results as each poll was made public?

Did the media concoct the stories of the allegations, or did they report the allegations as they were made?

Let me try to understand you.

If the media reports that a team is the favorite to win a championship based on stats and predictions provided by sports handicappers, and that team loses, was the media "lying?"

Old 11-26-2016, 10:37 AM

30,174 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
He can kiss any damn re-election goodbye if he is just to go "Obama it". Promise the world, and deliver NOTHING. The American people aren't going to be hoodwinked again and give a 2nd term to another liar

Why don't people follow through on s*** anymore??
It's a little early to worry about re-elections and such. I want to see how his first 100 days works out. If he lives up to what he has said he will do that will be a good start.

Only promise he has stated he will not deliver on at this point is prosecuting Clinton. But could there be a twist on that? If Trump after the election reaffirmed his intention to go after HC, Obama would have simply pardoned her. With Trump now saying he will not go after her Obama is unlikely to do the pardon. That leaves things open for Trump to change his mind after he assumes office and go after her.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
OK, then. All criticism should be withheld until day 101 of the Trump Reich, which would be May 1, 2017?
I know you are partly kidding, but of course Trump can expect criticism as he now explains what he really meant, more than just a little different than what he said, right? Agreed that "actions speak louder than words," but when even before taking office your post-election talk is so different from your campaign talk, we're not supposed to notice, or criticize accordingly?

I don't blame Trump supporters for scratching their heads now, but I don't blame anyone for being critical of making promises they really didn't expect to keep, especially when in this case it isn't even the influence of Congress that has had it's chance to alter Trump's plans. It's Trump himself, all on his own!

Yet again, and in so many ways, Trump proves himself the likes we've never seen take office before. In some good ways, plenty bad ways, lots of side ways...

Old 11-26-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Fair, but what conclusions are you truly questioning as not true?
I think I see the issue.

I did not say that your opinion isn't true. I am saying that your opinion (and/or mine) by itself does not constitute fact.

If I said you were wrong, I would be obliged to prove that you are wrong by providing verifiable evidence.

I didn't, so I won't.

Stating an opinion as if it is a fact is something that I believe should be avoided.

Quote:
Your opinion, on the other hand, is that most or enough Americans vote and are quite knowledgeable enough?
No, it is not. People are free to express any opinion they like. It can be based on a lot of research, or none. If no supporting evidence is made available (burden of proof), it does not rise to the level of fact.

Quote:
Am I understanding you correctly?
It seems you weren't, but I hope this exchange has helped in that regard. Has it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies