Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 09:04 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
States will get more control of Medicaid via block grants, but it will remain.
Block grants are interesting in two ways.

One how will the states use them.
Two How will the size of the grant be determined.

On the first one I think I would like to move to a blue state if I was on Medicaid. On the second I would be vary wary of political wrangling being used to manipulate states into doing what you want by changing the grant size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:06 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Block grants are interesting in two ways.

One how will the states use them.
Two How will the size of the grant be determined.

On the first one I think I would like to move to a blue state if I was on Medicaid. On the second I would be vary wary of political wrangling being used to manipulate states into doing what you want by changing the grant size.
See that's the problem, then blue states get deluged with people. I would want my blue state to have a probationary period before newcomers qualify, like 3-5 years. We have to focus on our own state. They need to hold their own states accountable.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
See that's the problem, then blue states get deluged with people. I would want my blue state to have a probationary period before newcomers qualify, like 3-5 years. We have to focus on our own state. They need to hold their own states accountable.
We've tried block grants before (for welfare):

How States Use Federal and State Funds Under the TANF Block Grant | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Old 11-29-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Well that's interesting. From your link:

But over time, states redirected a substantial portion of their state and federal TANF funds to other purposes, to fill state budget holes, and in some cases to substitute for existing state spending.

How States Use Federal and State Funds Under the TANF Block Grant | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I could see a state like Kansas, that crippled themselves with tax cuts trying to fill the budget holes this way.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Well that's interesting. From your link:

But over time, states redirected a substantial portion of their state and federal TANF funds to other purposes, to fill state budget holes, and in some cases to substitute for existing state spending.

I could see a state like Kansas, that crippled themselves with tax cuts trying to fill the budget holes this way.
Note: any remaining support I may have had for trump disappeared when he mentioned block grants in debate 2. All credibility disappeared completely with 'mosul'.

Now the anti trump tripe is pushing me to align with conservatives but I am a dinosaur conservative. That means limiting the federal government and letting states sink or swim.

Socially the federal gov should have virtually no involvement in a person's life, liberty, property.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:42 PM

I was wrong on pre-existing conditions:

Price’s plan would offer less protection for people with pre-existing conditions — individuals would need to maintain continuous insurance coverage, or risk running into problems getting covered.

Tom Price's radically conservative vision for American health care - POLITICO

Old 11-29-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I was wrong on pre-existing conditions:

Price’s plan would offer less protection for people with pre-existing conditions — individuals would need to maintain continuous insurance coverage, or risk running into problems getting covered.

Tom Price's radically conservative vision for American health care - POLITICO
That is a rehash of HIPAA 1996. Note: P stands for portability, not privacy.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
That is a rehash of HIPAA 1996. Note: P stands for portability, not privacy.
So this is on Trump's campaign site even now:

“I’m not going to cut Social Security like every other Republican and I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid,” Trump told The Daily Signal. “Every other Republican is going to cut, and even if they wouldn’t, they don’t know what to do because they don’t know where the money is. I do.”

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/w...r-entitlements

Then he chooses Paul Ryan's pal Tom Price so they can dismantle Medicare. Classic. Of course Republicans won't hold him accountable for that because he's a Republican.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
So this is on Trump's campaign site even now:

“I’m not going to cut Social Security like every other Republican and I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid,” Trump told The Daily Signal. “Every other Republican is going to cut, and even if they wouldn’t, they don’t know what to do because they don’t know where the money is. I do.”

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/w...r-entitlements

Then he chooses Paul Ryan's pal Tom Price so they can dismantle Medicare. Classic. Of course Republicans won't hold him accountable for that because he's a Republican.
I'm not taking sides. I'm just saying Ryan never says how he's going to privatize... hence disregard as just talk.

What's being said about ss? I have no clue what that means.

Put it this way: what is the only 'fundamental' change that has truly occurred since clinton and the contract with America?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not taking sides. I'm just saying Ryan never says how he's going to privatize... hence disregard as just talk.

What's being said about ss? I have no clue what that means.

Put it this way: what is the only 'fundamental' change that has truly occurred since clinton and the contract with America?
I have heard nothing about Social Security. There may have been suggestions of privatization in the news but nothing like the level around Medicare privatization. A lot of people are calling their congressman and congressman are not answering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies