Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 01:48 PM

575 posts, read 299,409 times

Advertisements

Sounds like "Don" Trump made Carrier an offer they couldn't refuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:49 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In my earlier post to the person I replied to. You are jumping in late making an arse of yourself.
I didn't see any explanation. I saw links to articles and those links didn't do much to clarify what you meant about "print trillions of dollars for Wall Street."

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to explain, in 3 or 4 succinct sentences, the specifics of how trillions of dollars were printed for Wall Street.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:50 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Not that this means anything at all, but there were some rumblings at one point since the election that Trump or someone close to him had spoken with Tim Cook after the election....and a day or two after that a professor from...I want to say Syracuse, but it might have been another school...said that the iPhone could be produced in the U.S. for $40-$50 more per phone, rather than 'double the cost' that has been bandied about by some.
As recently as 2002, most of Apple's products were manufactured in the US. Now, nearly everything is done in China. Back then it was explained that it was necessary to hire 8700 industrial engineers to oversee 200,000 assembly line workers. Apple estimated it would take up to 9 months to fill these position in the US compared to 15 days in China. Who knows? That's what they said at the time.

14 years later, it's a substantially more complex situation and it's all about parts and the elements that are necessary to manufacture those parts. This link does a descent job of explaining why it's unlikely that anything but assembly could be done in the US:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...erican-iphone/

Old 11-30-2016, 01:50 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,299,452 times
Quote:
They did go through bankruptcy.
They filed for it and had government loans to keep them afloat. That's not exactly going through the process of bankruptcy in my mind.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't see any explanation. I saw links to articles and those links didn't do much to clarify what you meant about "print trillions of dollars for Wall Street."
THen you didn't read them.

Quote:
I'm not sure why it's so difficult to explain, in 3 or 4 succinct sentences, the specifics of how trillions of dollars were printed for Wall Street.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_easing

Old 11-30-2016, 01:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
They filed for it and had government loans to keep them afloat. That's not exactly going through the process of bankruptcy in my mind.
I don't really care about your mind.

General Motors bankruptcy: End of an era - Jun. 1, 2009

GM exits bankruptcy | Reuters

Old 11-30-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Good for you. And I don't care about your opinion either .

Old 11-30-2016, 01:54 PM

23,588 posts, read 17,266,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
I guess we'll see.

I have a suspicion that if Obama had done what some claim Trump has done (threaten a major business with economic sanctions unless they helped him to keep a campaign promise), some conservatives would be calling him a dictator, a thug, and a tyrant.

But don't let that stop you.
Funny how negotiating is considered a threat in dem circles.

No wonder obama never negotiated with anyone domestically, losing would be more painful if it involved political opposition. Not a problem if he lost to Iran or Russia or Syria or Yemen or Iraq...the media would spin him out of trouble. Lost the olympics to Brazil. Negotiating was an alien concept to the great orator and nobel prize winner who gave us green energy jobs at solyndra and called the loss of 500 mill taxpayer money a good investment.

Obviously trump and the rest of america have a different idea of business success than obama.

No wonder obama bypassed people's representaives and used EOs and federal regulations. Bet he can't even pronounce 'negotiations'.

Intimidation is what obama did to the bansk during the bailout when he forced banks that did not need bail out money to take bail out money.

monster appointment we await is the person Trump puts in charge of the Information and Regulatory affairs, now headed by animal rights activist Cass Sunstein. Wow that appointment will rattle some windows.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:55 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Some? We would be knee deep into 35 threads on the subject alone. "King Bama saving jobs with YOUR money!"
He would have been eviscerated for it. The proof is right here.

Quote:
I have had enough with the bailouts. Our government shouldn't be picking winners and losers and deciding what companies should receive taxpayer assistance and which shouldn't.
US auto bailouts weren't a success

Quote:
But he also believes that it was not only wrong but also illegal for President Obama to pick winners and losers in the bankruptcy process.
Auto bailout allowed president to improperly choose winners, losers - The Blade

Quote:
the distortion of the free markets for political considerations (government picking winners and losers) and the seemingly limitless expansion of executive power absent congressional input
Obama's Auto Bailout Lies | Frontpage Mag

And that was with 1 million+ jobs hanging in the balance. Imagine if he had gone out of his way to save 1,000 jobs.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Funny how negotiating is considered a threat in dem circles.

No wonder obama never negotiated with anyone domestically, losing would be more painful if it involved political opposition. Not a problem if he lost to Iran or Russia or Syria or Yemen or Iraq...the media would spin him out of trouble. Lost the olympics to Brazil. Negotiating was an alien concept to the great orator and nobel prize winner who gave us green energy jobs at solyndra and called the loss of 500 mill taxpayer money a good investment.

Obviously trump and the rest of america have a different idea of business success than obama.

No wonder obama bypassed people's representaives and used EOs and federal regulations. Bet he can't even pronounce 'negotiations'.

Intimidation is what obama did to the bansk during the bailout when he forced banks that did not need bail out money to take bail out money.

monster appointment we await is the person Trump puts in charge of the Information and Regulatory affairs, now headed by animal rights activist Cass Sunstein. Wow that appointment will rattle some windows.
That post just went right over your head it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies