Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 08:42 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
This can't be true, the dems have informed us that Trump has already gone back on all of this campaign promises.

Seriously, Trump hasn't even been inaugurated yet, and already has saved millions of jobs by stopping companies from leaving, and killing the TPP.
Millions? Have anything other than hyperbole documenting that?

And WHO will be paying for the tax breaks (corporate welfare) being given to companies to stay?

Other people!

IOW "OTHER PEOPLES $$$", the very thing the RW is always whining about, will be paying for those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 08:44 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The article I read indicated the move to Mexico would have generated $65M a year in savings but they are staying because of a tax break for $700,000 a year, that doesn't even make remote sense. Besides the fact that Carrier previously turned down the offer. But the big question is if Carrier remains competitive with Trane who already relocated to Mexico, or is Trump going to impose a 35% tariff on Trane to make sure Carrier stays in business.
Carrier doesn't need to worry about whether it will stay in business. Its parent company is BIG LEAGUE.

What Carrier gets out of the deal, more than anything, is a seat at the table and an opportunity to craft public policy. That outweighs the potential savings in labor costs it would have realized by moving operations to Mexico.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Actually, he wasn't a Carrier employee. He was a steelworkers' union official.

Obama Responds To Questions About Carrier: Some Jobs "Are Just Not Coming Back" | Video | RealClearPolitics

So you haven't even managed to get your facts straight. And you haven't offered any evidence to disprove the assertion that "some jobs just aren't coming back." As I noted before, there are still over 1,000 jobs moving to Mexico.
OBAMA TO EX-CARRIER EMPLOYEE: SOME JOBS ‘ARE JUST NOT GOING TO COME BACK’

https://grabien.com/story.php?id=56780

Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is the same dismissive attitude that won Trump the office. Will you ever learn?
Learn to kiss people's butts? No, I will not learn that. My guy Gary Johnson did to win (surprise), so I will say whatever I please about Trump.

Besides, stating the facts should do harm to anyone. He wants to increase regulations, and until he is sworn in all he can do is symbolic things like the Carrier thing. Why should that offend you, or anyone?

Quote:
If you want to win you have to come up with someone that will do things like this while not doing the stupid things I can see Trump doing later
Win what? Picking one company and cutting a special deal with them might sound nice, but it's symbolic, and certainly not policy since it benefits only one division of one company. Obama did that with the auto industry saving 1.5 million jobs, and he was attacked for picking winners and losers. You can't have it both ways without coming across as a hypocrite.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well yes there is always something you can do to save jobs but it comes at a cost. All we really know is that carrier got a tax break from the state of Indiana. But it does raise other question as to why they would forgo millions, it doesn't add up unless....
People will want the details but the facts are, people want jobs right now far more than details, for good or for bad, and they do not want to hear someone dismissing their concerns.

Quote:
I don't want any president threatening a company, that is not what our country is about.
I disagree. Recall, Candidate Obama did this very same things as Candidate Obama. He simply forgot about it as President Obama. An easy one I agreed with and I bet you do also is he said that no company would get a government contract unless they paid a certain wage (above minimum wage).

Quote:
The article I read indicated the move to Mexico would have generated $65M a year in savings but they are staying because of a tax break for $700,000 a year, that doesn't even make remote sense. Besides the fact that Carrier previously turned down the offer. But the big question is if Carrier remains competitive with Trane who already relocated to Mexico, or is Trump going to impose a 35% tariff on Trane to make sure Carrier stays in business.
I imagine it was the threat of losing government contracts. They should if they are going to take the jobs elsewhere.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:52 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
OBAMA TO EX-CARRIER EMPLOYEE: SOME JOBS ‘ARE JUST NOT GOING TO COME BACK’

https://grabien.com/story.php?id=56780
He did not identify himself as a Carrier employee or an ex-Carrier employee and the article you linked to has nothing to support that he was a current or former Carrier employee. This is all it says.

Quote:
OBAMA: "But for those folks who have lost their job right now because a plant went down the Mexico, that isn’t going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back, and when somebody says, like the person you just mentioned who I’m not going to advertise for, that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well how exactly are you going to do that? What are you going to do?"
No wonder so many people fall for fake news. I would say it's a safe bet that some of you are currently wrapped up in pyramid schemes.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Learn to kiss people's butts? No, I will not learn that. My guy Gary Johnson did to win (surprise), so I will say whatever I please about Trump.

Besides, stating the facts should do harm to anyone. He wants to increase regulations, and until he is sworn in all he can do is symbolic things like the Carrier thing. Why should that offend you, or anyone?

Win what? Picking one company and cutting a special deal with them might sound nice, but it's symbolic, and certainly not policy since it benefits only one division of one company.
"He wants, he wants, he wants"........I'm not interested in this stuff until "he does".

Old 12-01-2016, 08:54 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Millions? Have anything other than hyperbole documenting that?

And WHO will be paying for the tax breaks (corporate welfare) being given to companies to stay?

Other people!

IOW "OTHER PEOPLES $$$", the very thing the RW is always whining about, will be paying for those jobs.
Well, at least it's not like letting poor people buy soda with their food assistance.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He did not identify himself as a Carrier employee or an ex-Carrier employee and the article you linked to has nothing to support that he was a current or former Carrier employee. This is all it says.
I wasn't there, you weren't there. I do not know the guy, you do not know the guy. I posted what I read in many sources.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:55 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Default Bernie Sanders attacks Trump for his Carrier job saving

Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump will reportedly announce a deal with United Technologies, the corporation that owns Carrier, that keeps less than 1,000 of the 2100 jobs in America that were previously scheduled to be transferred to Mexico. Let’s be clear: It is not good enough to save some of these jobs. Trump made a promise that he would save all of these jobs, and we cannot rest until an ironclad contract is signed to ensure that all of these workers are able to continue working in Indiana without having their pay or benefits slashed.

This is the guy that supported Clinton who proudly ran on a platform of putting mine workers on welfare? He's got the nerve to criticize Trump for "only" saving one thousand jobs before he was even sworn in?
With one fell swoop, he just confirmed that America dodged a bullet by not electing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies