Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't be so sure about not committing more crimes.

I'm generally in favor of the death penalty but my reservations revolve around the cost and the time involved.

And one other thing.

If the death penalty is abolished and replaced by life without parole, as it has been in several states, what is the punishment for that inmate who commits another murder or three while serving his LWOP? He already has the maximum sentence.
As far as I am concerned we treat our criminals better than we do ourselves. We will all die; there is currently no way around that fact and our planet could not sustain all of us if death was not an alternative - that's life.

Last month my mother died; we were expecting it and there was no hope of recovery - we were glad that she did not have to suffer any longer. She had several strokes and could no longer communicate; then she broke her hip. The hospital said that she was too weak to operate and she was moved to the hospice where she died in two days. The job at the hospice is to keep you comfortable (drugged) until the end. They will not feed the patient unless requested. Sometimes doctors will remove the feeding tubes. Death usually comes in just a few days. However; it still is much longer than the few minutes that it takes to put to death any convict. We treat our pets and our heinous criminals to a quicker death than we treat ourselves!

I am totally for the death penalty when we are 100% sure we have the right person. There is no reason for society to worry about caring for an individual that only inflicts pain a suffering. We have to acknowledge our mistake and move on. If it was up to me and it isn't; I would put all the convicted killers together on a small island or in an open jail compound and short them one meal each day - let the problem correct itself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 05:32 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's not a question.

But no, its not revenge kidnapping. You are stretching mightily on this analogy.

When one does something wrong, they must atone for it - through punishment, admitting what you've done and how your actions have affected others, apologize to those you've hurt, rehabilitation, helping others, etc.

None of those include the permanent solution of death.
Yes it does. Especially if that's the only way to rehabilitate a murderer. The best kind of satisfaction the family of the victim can get is knowing that they won't have to fear the murderer ever harming anyone else again.
Quote:
I like how a country in Europe approaches punishment for criminals. They are housed in a "prison" but the prison is much more open allowing familial visits, days out of the prison, etc. Not only is this country's recidivism rates lower than ours, but it approaches punishment in a logical way that works for all involved. Its not a revenge punishment. Its a punishment based in the true meaning of discipline - teaching.
Yes it is by your logic which you fail to address. Why should we detain someone after the deed is done?

Old 12-27-2016, 05:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
"Murder" is wrong.

"Killing" is not always wrong.
Why is it that in this, of literally all possible cases, people like you completely trust the government?

Half of you believe the government is coming for your guns just any day now, but this is apparently the line where they have the complete trust and confidence of right-wing America?

Old 12-28-2016, 05:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Yes it does. Especially if that's the only way to rehabilitate a murderer. The best kind of satisfaction the family of the victim can get is knowing that they won't have to fear the murderer ever harming anyone else again.

Yes it is by your logic which you fail to address. Why should we detain someone after the deed is done?
We should not just detain, but rehabilitate one, as a form of atonement and sacrifice for the deed which was committed.

Speaking of victims' families, there are a growing number who oppose the DP. Many who've witnessed the DP of the perp who took their loved ones lives say that the death doesn't bring closure and, in some ways, makes the entire experience worse.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Why is it that in this, of literally all possible cases, people like you completely trust the government?

Half of you believe the government is coming for your guns just any day now, but this is apparently the line where they have the complete trust and confidence of right-wing America?
Yes, yes, yes.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
We should not just detain, but rehabilitate one, as a form of atonement and sacrifice for the deed which was committed.
That still doesn't answer my question. Why detain him after the deed is done to begin with? Isn't it revenge kidnapping? Supposed the kidnapper used the same logic by kidnaping the girl. "I only did it to rehabilitate her to my moral standards."

Quote:
Speaking of victims' families, there are a growing number who oppose the DP. Many who've witnessed the DP of the perp who took their loved ones lives say that the death doesn't bring closure and, in some ways, makes the entire experience worse.
That's for some but not all.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
That still doesn't answer my question. Why detain him after the deed is done to begin with? Isn't it revenge kidnapping? Supposed the kidnapper used the same logic by kidnaping the girl. "I only did it to rehabilitate her to my moral standards."
I think you need to acquaint yourself with the origin of atonement, sacrifice and discipline to understand what I am getting at.

Quote:
That's for some but not all.
Yep.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I think you need to acquaint yourself with the origin of atonement, sacrifice and discipline to understand what I am getting at.

Yep.
Umm, ok? My point is that the government's job IS to dispatch revenge via the justice system and the military. That's the only legitimate roll the government has. So whether its through detainment or execution its irrelevant whether or not its after the deed was done.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,774 times
Quote:

He wouldn't be committing anymore crimes if he were sitting in jail either.
True only so long as the sociopath remains in prison, and possibly not even then, given the level of inmate violence in the prisons.

Which returns us to the central point: There are two types of governments: those that have fallen, and those that will.

When a government ceases to exist, so does its ability to segregate the sociopaths from the remainder of society. Society (which instituted the government) will still require protection from these newly liberated sociopaths, lest they prey upon the weaker members of society as they did before their incarceration.

Government, as the instrumentality of the larger construct called "society," owes it to the society that chartered and instituted it to use the death penalty (judiciously and one would hope, sparingly) in order to limit the damage these sociopaths will do in the absence of a government that can imprison them.

Phrased another way: There are sociopathic offenders who are so dangerous (fortunately relatively few in number) that government cannot take the chance that said offenders will outlive the government's capacity to imprison them. These are the offenders for whom the death penalty should be reserved.

In short, the death penalty must remain a rehabilitation option for these sociopaths.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Umm, ok? My point is that the government's job IS to dispatch revenge via the justice system and the military. That's the only legitimate roll the government has. So whether its through detainment or execution its irrelevant whether or not its after the deed was done.
My point is, which I believe I made quite clear, is the government's job is to facilitate discipline, rehabilitation and atonement all the while ascertaining the criminal's future by making him or her ready to return to society as a productive citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies