Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:49 PM

73,136 posts, read 62,791,937 times

Advertisements

One of my worries is what alcohol does to people I know. Persons who had appointments with me(hanging out,studying,etc) have blown them off because they drank too much the night before and we're hung over. This is not limited to White females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,288,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
...or a hot toddy...
I was raised on hot toddies. Popular type of drink in Denmark.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:11 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,969,888 times
I think prescription medicine is a bigger problem. When I was released from the hospital in 2010, I filled a prescription for Oxycodone. I took one when I got home and began to hallucinate about an hour later. So I tossed the rest and took Advil instead. (If I saw Rob Lowe lying next to me, maybe I would have kept them)

Old 12-30-2016, 12:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,273,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Drinking wine is the new smoking, as far as how women view cool. As far as health, sitting is the new smoking.

Well, DD, come on now - she lives with you. Of course she's dropping car notes on something to make her feel happier......lmao.

Seriously, it's tv, from what one woman told me. According to her, The Housewives of Wherever, all feature women who drink early and often. And all I could think was, 'yeah - and who wouldn't want to be like them?'
LOL...i actually hadn't considered that it could be me driving my wife to drinking.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 AM

36,672 posts, read 30,985,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I think prescription medicine is a bigger problem. When I was released from the hospital in 2010, I filled a prescription for Oxycodone. I took one when I got home and began to hallucinate about an hour later. So I tossed the rest and took Advil instead. (If I saw Rob Lowe lying next to me, maybe I would have kept them)
It is. The studies sites alcohol poisoning but that description encompasses drugs as well and it has a good discussion on the increase in prescription drugs use as a factor in the mortality rate.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:43 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,921,644 times
Ironic that it's the very same group that also drives men to drink themselves to death.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:49 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,963,332 times
Quote:
I agree. Some people spend way too much time on the internet.

We all might have some guilt there.

Quote:
I'm one of those lightweights who gets drunk on 1/2 glass of wine. So I never make it to the gutter.
Hah-I can't drink like I did in College, that's for sure.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,149,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A lot of white women are on prescription meds for anxiety, birth control, blood pressure, or pain. Many of those drugs are not a good cocktail with alcohol.
Yes (non-white women too) and they are much more likely to be inactive and obese than in the past.

Drinking say 25 drinks a week/every week on top of meds, sedentary lifestyle, high anxiety, poor sleep can give anyone over 50 a high risk of mortality.

Drinking 25 drinks a week/every week while exercising regularly, maintaining a healthy weight and eating well can be done. There is a big difference.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:19 AM

19,724 posts, read 12,300,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yeah, me, too. I'm a cheap date...my body doesn't much like alcohol...but I do savor the little I do drink. A White Russian is nice in the winter...or a hot toddy or Irish Coffee during the really cold weather. In the summer, give me a cold Summer Shandy...but most of the time, it's just herbal tea or a glass of water.

I can't believe how much wine or other alcohol some of my friends can pack away...I'd be so sick. They worry me, and hope they don't become a statistic in the next article about women dying earlier from too much alcohol.
Same here. And I know some of them are on meds for medical conditions. Then again their lifestyle in general is go-go-go. As much as we don't like to admit it women's bodies are more fragile than men's and we don't process alcohol as easily, we have smaller arteries and organs, etc.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,273,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Ironic that it's the very same group that also drives men to drink themselves to death.
LOL..white women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies