Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:17 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Wine makes people feel sophisticated.
Yeah-and for no reason. Not sure how winos get away without the stigma.

Like there aren't boxes of wine and "$2 buck chucks" at Trader Joes, etc.

In College we would go to "China Wine" in Manhattan. Pay $10-15 for a meal and you drink all the wine you can handle-or most likely-all the wine you cannot handle. Hell-they even gave us wine while we waited for the table. Ahh-fun times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 04:32 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
White people, as a group, are declining in numerous ways. Their birth rate has plummeted, their rate of marriage has fallen, and their mortality rate has increased. We can add increased alcohol consumption to the list. White people have lost a sense of identity and pride and are quickly becoming a group of has-beens. It's truly a sad sight to see.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
One drink a month is pretty clear not a non-drinker. I think that standard might even be too high. When I was a non-drinker (for ~5 years after college), probably the most drinks I had in a year was 2.
Notice that the majority of women from other races and ethnicities in the study are not drinkers by the 12 drink standard.
Almost everybody I know has at least two drinks every day.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is fairly new information, a few years ago there were studies stating wine, especially of the red variety, was very good for you and if you drank moderately there was no downside.

The earliest information I can find is from 2005, so not that recent, but I do see your point, as many of the women I'm referencing started this almost 30 years ago.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
It's all relative to the lifestyle that one is used to observing in the culture. A physician might disagree that one drink per month is not a drinking habit. Try lowering the frequency to once every three months, to prove that the drink is not required on a schedule, and I might start to agree. I do think that some alcoholics can stretch out the schedule to once per month, while still maintaining a form of dependency.
You are joking, right? Millions of us can handle 3 - 4 drinks every day without being dependent.

Alcoholics drink huge volumes, not just a few drinks per day, and they usually start early in the day. You obviously have never spent time with an alcoholic.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This has actually come up in conversation with a number of my friends. Some of the women we know have wine every night, a habit that began when their kids were small. Others have the girls over a few times a week for brunches or lunches, and the wine is flowing then, too.

I don't get it, particularly since studies show drinking wine every day increases the odds of getting breast cancer, and several of us have lost women to breast cancer.
Link?

Old 12-28-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is fairly new information, a few years ago there were studies stating wine, especially of the red variety, was very good for you and if you drank moderately there was no downside.
The most current information is that daily consumption of red wine has many health benefits. And moderate drinkers have a higher life expectancy than teetotalers.

Here is one example;

8 Reasons To Love Red Wine : 1. Lower your cholesterol | Prevention

Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Link?
Link for what?

Old 12-28-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Link for what?
link for "studies show drinking wine every day increases the odds of getting breast cancer"

Old 12-28-2016, 05:03 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Religion was designed to curb our animal nature.. with religion gone we kind of go back to are basic impulses... women in general (and men for that matter) chase after "fun" ... just look at what they write on dating sites... they want new experiences, partying, and some of these experiences lack the depth and sort of connection that they might want... a provider male tends to not be compatible with the types of "bad boys" women tend to gravitate to more and more in life, plus our schools are raising women to be stronger and men to be more emasculated, so in many cases the only men masculine enough to handle many of the women are the uber alpha males and players, which leads to emptiness because those relationships aren't deep nor long lasting. Also Hollywood brainwashes people into thinking they have to live this sweeping drama/fantasy life every day of their life, so they aren't happy with simply raising kids and having a stable suburban life. Life is all about mental perception and what you think. Men in general don't need the amounts of variety that women need to be happy... sex, food, beer, equals a happy husband.

Gender roles have somewhat flipped as the same things women complained about in males 30 years ago, males are complaining about women today, that they are "used up party girls" not suitable to be good mothers (generally speaking of course)

This is some interesting listening talking about millennials..

http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/media...ngmillennials/

Also, if you are drinking 3-4 drinks per day as an average over the course of a year and don't think you have an alcohol issue, I'd say maybe you're a bit delusional, but I'm not going to tell you how to live your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies