Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:50 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I know people (men and women) that drink themselves into debt. They spend large amounts on expensive alcohol like wine, microbrewery beer, champagne, and etc...and then go to starbucks to buy an $8 coffee.

Why don't I have any money to retire?

You drank your retirement away!
Not all of it! The rest I wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I still don't get it.
"Cis" is a term being twisted into a pejorative for normal men and women that know what sex they actually are and what sex it is normal for them to have intercourse with.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:56 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
A lot of women in that age group go to happy hour after work like once a week or something, that's all...nothing wrong with that.

If you want to do some studies on women in that age group it would be on how less of them are entering relationships and living the Sex and the City lifestyle more and more.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Hmmm....all i can say is that when i was in college, i knew some white chicks that would drink your ass under the table. Not hard to do to me because i'm not a drinker and when i do drink a taste, i can barely hold my liquor. I'm a weak drinker by nature. A glass of wine is about all i can handle.

About the only chicks that did drink like that were white. My female friends from college no longer drink like that, but they're ALL MAJOR wineheads. LMAO...some of them drop some serious disposable income on wine tastings etc..

But oh well...my wife spares no expense on wine either. She's got a 28 bottle wine cooler, and every rack is full all year long. She makes sure of that.

But i don't think she drinks herself to death.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:53 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are so many problems with this article and its title that I don't even know where to begin.
Yep all I saw was unsubstantiated graphs.

So if you look at the original study its is all white (male and female) non Hispanic Americans between the ages of 45-54 between 1999 and 2013. Although other studies show white female mortality decline has increased more so than men, this study notes the causes, drug and alcohol poisoning, suicide and chronic liver disease, had similar patterns for men and women when analyzed separately. It also links the increase to income/education levels and pain as well as touching or other economic factors.

So not white women are drinking themselves to death due to "women's lib" as the OP would want one to believe.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:09 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
White women with college degrees drink more than any other group of women, and white women 35-54 are drinking themselves to death at twice the rate they did 17 years ago. Why? Is the post women's lib life not as fulfilling as many expected?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0cb6c6747c6e
All but one of the white women in my generation of family and friends don't drink at all, and never have. Hard to imagine there's much truth to this article.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is true. What is an "alcohol related death"?

And one drink a month is not a drinker.

BTW, there is probably a close correlation between income levels and drinking. Alcohol costs money and if you are a wine drinker, lots of money.
It's all relative to the lifestyle that one is used to observing in the culture. A physician might disagree that one drink per month is not a drinking habit. Try lowering the frequency to once every three months, to prove that the drink is not required on a schedule, and I might start to agree. I do think that some alcoholics can stretch out the schedule to once per month, while still maintaining a form of dependency.

It is very difficult to find an unmarried woman without a regular drinking habit.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:35 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
It is very difficult to find an unmarried woman without a regular drinking habit.
No, it isn't at all. Nearly all my women friends fit that bill.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:36 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
If you read this link that was part of the article, it gives you more information. Since it trends in mostly rural areas for both men and women, maybe they are bored and so they drink. Too much time on their hands?

"...Across the country, middle-aged white women are dying at staggeringly higher rates, particularly from drug overdoses, suicides and excessive drinking...

The trend is most powerful in rural areas and smaller cities, where middle-aged white men are also dying more. In contrast, middle-aged African Americans, Hispanics and whites in the largest cities are dying less often, The Washington Post found in an investigation..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...nty/?tid=a_inl

Old 12-28-2016, 03:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Drinking regularly is better than having one drink a month. There are also lots of females that died on their 1st attempt with weed. No scientific study on any of these thing I suspect men & women have different physiology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies