Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Wondering if San Francisco and Los Angeles liberals are bothered that a married couple lives a much better life answering phones for a call-center in Fargo then they do on $150,000 a year in Los Angeles or San Francisco.

The elite coastal liberals with those long commutes through declining infrastructure, getting up at 5am and getting home at 7pm. Bumper to bumper traffic. Also, many have tremendous amounts of college debt to pay off and can't even buy a little, old shack.

Pretty sad, that many of hyper-educated, high-powered households in the Bay Area can't even afford what people doing a typing test and answering phones can have in North Dakota.

Then again, North Dakota is Republican and California is Democratic so it is to be expected.

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=96...tl99p&from=web

I just saw this job posting a husband and wife can walk into a job in Fargo with minimal skill and take home nearly $28 an hour.

Many of the technical support jobs in Fargo would pay that same husband and wife over $30 an hour in the land of cheap apartments.

2605 12th St S, Fargo, ND 58103 | MLS #16-6144 | Zillow

Then they go back to a 2,700 square mansion by San Francisco and Los Angeles standards and pay their $733 mortgage.

I wonder how much San Francisco and Westside Los Angeles liberals have to make for a 2,800 square feet home?

North Dakota thanks to the ultra-low taxes. The married couple would be left with $46,000 of their money.

With Jerry Brown in California that same married couple would be left with about $43,000.

The bolded should annoy any overeducated burger flipper on either coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
South and North Dakota are two of the most beautiful states in this country.
Lucky for you beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can have them.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Lucky for you beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can have them.
Freedom is a truly wonderful thing and when you are in rural North or South Dakota you are truly free. But freedom has a cost. You have to be self sufficient. I lived in South Dakota for 4 years in the 80's and I miss it often. Was a hard transition at first but I really grew to love it.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
For discussion purposes, CNN estimates that $56K salary in Fargo, North Dakota is equivalent to about $100K salary in San Francisco, California - due obviously to cost of living expense difference. CNN doesn't factor in differences of local taxes.

Cost of living: How far will my salary go in another city? - CNNMoney

Think global, tax local?

Old 01-03-2017, 11:22 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Freedom is a truly wonderful thing and when you are in rural North or South Dakota you are truly free. But freedom has a cost. You have to be self sufficient. I lived in South Dakota for 4 years in the 80's and I miss it often. Was a hard transition at first but I really grew to love it.
Congratulations. I spent 10 years in Montana. Poverty with a view. I don't miss it.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
That is old, it's a ghost town right now. I was just there. Btw it was actually $17 an hour at mickey dees and $15 an hour just over the boarder in Sidney MT. Waitresses were making $20 an hour.

It's proof that a shortage of workers drives wages UP. Once the oil jobs left, a lot of people hung around and took whatever jobs they could get. I know because I was workin temps up there alongside some laid off oil workers. They told me a few years ago, if you had a pulse you could make 6 figures even driving a truck.

Also while the Appalachia mtns have a bad rep for economics, it's absolutely rich with beautiful scenery. I would say it can possibly rival the west coast in it's own way. I've seen every kind of mountain from one coast to the other. There is something charming about the wooded hills of norther AL, GA, TN, and NC. Ba da ding ding ding ding bing ding ding.. Yall aint from around here, are ya?
I agree with you about the natural beauty in parts of Appelachia.

Employment in mines peaked nearly 100 years ago. Technology substitution has had as much to do with eliminating jobs as has the economic reality that other sources of fuel are cheaper. Industrial robotics seem to be immune to Black Lung Disease.

The economies in parts of Appelachia are entirely dependent on Disability and welfare benefits. The population has a serious opioid/ opiate addiction population.

The masses have been making economic migrations for thousands of years. I do not understand people who prefer to live in destitution instead of migrating elsewhere for more opportunity. their ancestors had no issue crossing the Atlantic for better opportunities.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:26 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
South and North Dakota are two of the most beautiful states in this country.
Is this sarcasm?

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Progressives have not the slightest idea of what people in the other states, or even outside their own cities are doing, earning, or living. The rest of the country is nothing but a vague formless shadow to them.

Liberals don't know and don't care what married couples in the Dakotas are earning. It's never occurred to them that there are married couples in the Dakotas.
Conversely, do people in "the rest of the country" know what people on the coasts or in those hated blue cities like NYC, Boston, Denver... are "doing, earning, or living"?

Does it occur to them that there are millions of people also just living their lives, going to work, raising their kids, paying bills...?
That there are married couples in Denver or LA or Seattle?

People have this (mis)conception of people who choose to live in blue cities that somehow they are not "real" people, "real" Americans or whatever as if they don't have the same daily concerns as any other citizen.

Why is that?

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
It doesn't bother this liberal because this married couple in a non-coastal state answering phones lives better than many on $1**k year.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:28 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Congratulations. I spent 10 years in Montana. Poverty with a view. I don't miss it.
You lived in poverty? That's on you, don't blame the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies