Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Look at the electoral map, do any of the places that voted Trump have high numbers of immigrants. Rural Nebraska is not exactly a bastion of diversity and tolerance.
Like many, you use the words "diversity" and "tolerance" as though they're synonymous.

My township NJ is approx 90% white. Does that make us "intolerant" people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 09:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
They did not pick houses in communities that are white, they picked houses in communities that are rich.

They are all for racial diversity but have no problem with economic segregation.

They are for the minorities that can afford to live in their neighborhood.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:24 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Look at the electoral map, do any of the places that voted Trump have high numbers of immigrants. Rural Nebraska is not exactly a bastion of diversity and tolerance.
What about VT and NH? Are they "tolerant" by your metrics?

Old 01-03-2017, 09:29 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Everytime I see a thread from a progressive/liberal asking for advice about what neighborhood to buy in, and they say they want diversity, they always end up in the least diverse neighborhoods.
Depends on what you mean by diversity. In the City vs City forum, generally when somebody is looking for a "liberal, diverse" city, they are really saying they are wanting an LGBT-friendly place and one with tolerant attitudes toward non-Christian religion. They aren't necessarily looking for ethnic diversity though most of the time they are not opposed to it. What they are looking for is diversity of worldview and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:30 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
That area is also more conservative than many wealthy areas in California. A lot of old white retired golfer types out there, half of which voted for Trump. He wont be getting all the love he gets in DC.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:32 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...,3611950078,00

I guess both Obama and Clinton don't enjoy buying homes in the diverse neighborhoods that they preach are good for everyone.

I guess limosine liberals like the Obama's and Clinton's love diversity as long as they don't live around it.

Michelle Obama loves giving speeches about the "richness of diversity" but it seems like she had no objection to buying a house in a city that is 88% white.

If diversity is so rich to Michelle Obama why does she like to buy homes in 88% white areas. I guess despite her emotional, emmy-award winning speeches she likes to ignore her own words and then buy a house in some of the least diverse places in the country.

Michelle Obama on the Richness of Diversity in Final Commencement Address as First Lady
So people who want a strong American military should be required to enlist then, right?

Old 01-03-2017, 09:37 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That area is also more conservative than many wealthy areas in California. A lot of old white retired golfer types out there, half of which voted for Trump. He wont be getting all the love he gets in DC.
I don't think he will care. With lifelong secret service protection, I don't think he'll have much to worry about. And who says the persons he'll run into will hate him? There are alot of rich White liberals as well.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:43 AM

1,302 posts, read 684,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Elitists are the same from both parties. Do as I say not as I do.
Elitists love to tell everyone else how to live, how to think and where we really need to live, so that we can be acceptable people.

Hilly Billys also have a right to exist.

Those elites trying to educate hilly billys are stupids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhninL_G3Fg

Old 01-03-2017, 09:59 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,187,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...,3611950078,00

I guess both Obama and Clinton don't enjoy buying homes in the diverse neighborhoods that they preach are good for everyone.

I guess limosine liberals like the Obama's and Clinton's love diversity as long as they don't live around it.

Michelle Obama loves giving speeches about the "richness of diversity" but it seems like she had no objection to buying a house in a city that is 88% white.

If diversity is so rich to Michelle Obama why does she like to buy homes in 88% white areas. I guess despite her emotional, emmy-award winning speeches she likes to ignore her own words and then buy a house in some of the least diverse places in the country.

Michelle Obama on the Richness of Diversity in Final Commencement Address as First Lady
Thanks for the article on Ms. Obama's speech. She's a great woman. I don't know what that has to to with her living in the White House??? Embracing diversity doesn't mean only living in a diverse neighborhood.

Where should the Obama's move to that you find acceptable? They are renting a house in DC until the youngest graduates from High School. Then, I read a while back, they bought a house in SoCal.

I think you are missing the point entirely.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
I got news for you, no one likes diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies