Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Single payer is Medicare. You are aware of that right? You want to eliminate Medicare so millions of elderly will not get medical treatment if they dont have a huge nest egg? This is barbaric.
Yes, I want to get rid of Medicare. Private insurance is available to anyone of any age who feels that it is rational to carry it. It is barbaric to steal assets of the young when they need it most in order to subsidize free and mediocre medical care for others. Everyone needs medical care at some point, and getting old is no excuse to steal it from others. Medicare should be scrapped, and private insurance should be deregulated and allowed to be bought and paid for by anyone who sees that they need it. The costs of that insurance would be very affordable if big, bureaucratic, tyrannically overreaching nanny state government were out of the picture.

You see, all of this sorts itself out nicely when we establish a MORAL basis for government, rather than a UTILITARIAN basis. If it is immoral to take from someone because you need it, then anytime a need is identified, a MORAL way of meeting that need will arise. Because we won't allow immoral programs like Medicare to exist. Medicare doesn't help old people, it simply allows them to victimize young people. If it didn't exist, there would be profit-based insurance solutions available that would be both affordable and high quality. And above all, MORAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 03:06 PM

23,995 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes, I want to get rid of Medicare. Private insurance is available to anyone of any age who feels that it is rational to carry it. It is barbaric to steal assets of the young when they need it most in order to subsidize free and mediocre medical care for others. Everyone needs medical care at some point, and getting old is no excuse to steal it from others. Medicare should be scrapped, and private insurance should be deregulated and allowed to be bought and paid for by anyone who sees that they need it. The costs of that insurance would be very affordable if big, bureaucratic, tyrannically overreaching nanny state government were out of the picture.

You see, all of this sorts itself out nicely when we establish a MORAL basis for government, rather than a UTILITARIAN basis. If it is immoral to take from someone because you need it, then anytime a need is identified, a MORAL way of meeting that need will arise. Because we won't allow immoral programs like Medicare to exist. Medicare doesn't help old people, it simply allows them to victimize young people. If it didn't exist, there would be profit-based insurance solutions available that would be both affordable and high quality. And above all, MORAL.
Old people are already paying about $700 a month each on Medicare and medigap insurance. At least at my house and those I know well enough to discuss finances. What do you consider a fair price for our healthcare insurance? Also, if I had what our employers and we paid into SS for 60 years, maybe I could afford private insurance.

How about the interested rate on car and house notes rising so we can get more than a nickel interest on every $1000 in a MMA?

Old 01-14-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
There is strong support among the American people to reduce prescription drug prices. But puppets in the pockets of big pharma dont like it.

For Some Reason, Cory Booker and 12 Other Dems Killed a Bill That Would Lower Drug Prices*

The people who voted against the will of the people:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...2ygisaecgx.png
Check out the piece the Washington Monthly did on this non issue. More mountains outta molehills.

Last edited by crone; 01-14-2017 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 03:12 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Check out the piece the Washington Post did on this non issue. More mountains outta molehills.
lol, Jeff Bezos' blog, Washington Post, will of course defend the donor class. Thats how they roll. Most people see right through the propaganda though.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes, I want to get rid of Medicare. Private insurance is available to anyone of any age who feels that it is rational to carry it.
lol, good luck trying to get covered on the private market at a reasonable price as a 70 year old. If young healthy people are not required to get insured, the rates for everyone skyrockets and without federal regulations, insurance companies will deny claims, deny insurance and rip off anyone, causing huge amounts of pain, anguish and suffering for the American people.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
lol, Jeff Bezos' blog, Washington Post, will of course defend the donor class. Thats how they roll. Most people see right through the propaganda though.
Well, i must be no better than the village idiot because it made sense to me.

Last edited by crone; 01-14-2017 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: brain not fully engaged

Old 01-14-2017, 03:50 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Old people are already paying about $700 a month each on Medicare and medigap insurance. At least at my house and those I know well enough to discuss finances. What do you consider a fair price for our healthcare insurance? Also, if I had what our employers and we paid into SS for 60 years, maybe I could afford private insurance.

How about the interested rate on car and house notes rising so we can get more than a nickel interest on every $1000 in a MMA?

YESSSS!!!! Exactly. Social security should be modified such that all contributions you made over your entire life are now YOURS to spend as you see fit. They should have been invested in stocks and bonds and the economy like any retirement plan, and not only would you have all your contributions, but MILLIONS in appreciated value. In which case affording private health insurance premiums would be TRIVIAL.

That's the whole point. If you start with morality, that is, what you earn, you own, and is yours to dispose of, then all these nonsensical and tyrannical redistributive programs will be academic. And the evil of taking from groups to give to other groups based on the vague shifting winds of political mobmaking will be gone and forgotten, as they should be.

And everyone will be a lot less cynical once the thieves are not taking their money any more. Which will boost charity, goodwill, and overall societal bliss.

It turns out that moral choices in governance achieve tyrannical utilitarian goals far better then the tyrannical methods themselves. Of course that removes power and control from the leftist-collectivist-statist busybodies who want to manage the stealing and take their cut.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Well, i must be no better than the village idiot because it made sense to me.
If you believe that political spin, you are very gullible.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/12/...e-from-canada/

CNN.com - Democrats: Lift ban on buying*medicines from Canada - Feb 26, 2005

Casey, Toomey Vote Against Sanders' Drug Importation Bill | News | Philadelphia Magazine

Old 01-14-2017, 04:44 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,535 times
I see that the most anti-establishment Senators voted for it, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Bernie Sanders, and Pocahontas. The amendment must have been a real threat to the establishment, too bad it didn't pass.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:10 PM

But, establishment John Corning voted opposite of Cruz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies