Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you actually believe that Trump will make "America great again?"
Yes, ofcourse! 88 36.67%
No. Just no. 152 63.33%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:45 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times

Advertisements

Probably not. But I'm hopeful. The things he promised to do, like bringing back manufacturing jobs and reversing falling labor force participation among prime working age males, these things have been happening for decades. No president since Kennedy has been able to stop these forces.

I do like that he talks about it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 03:00 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Generally speaking it's a good idea to take campaign slogans of any political party with a healthy dose of skepticism. Most of it is just empty rhetoric and nonsense. In most cases be prepared to be disappointed.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:08 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
It seems like some people want to see him fail just so that they can say "I told you so".
They're so blinded by their hurt that that dont realize ( or don't care) that a failure of the Trump administration ( or a Clinton administration had she won) would be to the detriment of ALL of us as well as our country.
WTF? Wake up Americans!
Wrong.

Trump actually succeeding in the sense that he turns his insane, half-baked ideas into actual policy would be a completely disaster.

Trump needs to fail to achieve most of what he promised if we want to still have a United States to make great after his four year reign of reactionary, ill-informed idiocy and incessant ego stroking is over.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:15 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
The Rust Belt and Appalachian coal country expect him to bring to back factory jobs that provide a high salary, generous benefits and don't require anything more than a high school diploma as he promised during his campaign. If he doesn't deliver on this promise, the working class people in these areas will not be happy.
Back when these folks were working those high-salary, generous-benefit jobs, demand for coal and steel was high and the United Mine Workers, Steelworkers' union, etc. were a force to be reckoned with.

Neither is the case now.

Bringing back those high-salary, generous-benefit jobs for those with high school diplomas would be a miracle.

From what I've read, Trump is far more likely to run an operation into the ground than reinvigorate it. Unless Trump can get talk the Russians into dumping some big bucks into the area, I think the chances of these folks being happy are on the slim side.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Wrong.

Trump actually succeeding in the sense that he turns his insane, half-baked ideas into actual policy would be a completely disaster.

Trump needs to fail to achieve most of what he promised if we want to still have a United States to make great after his four year reign of reactionary, ill-informed idiocy and incessant ego stroking is over.
Thanks for proving my point.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:42 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
America has always been great. I wish Trump understood it.
Arbenz was elected President of Guatemala in 1950 to continue a process of socio- economic reforms that the CIA disdainfully refers to in its memoranda as "an intensely nationalistic program of progress colored by the touchy, anti-foreign inferiority complex of the 'Banana Republic.'" The first CIA effort to overthrow the Guatemalan president--a CIA collaboration with Nicaraguan dictator Anastacio Somoza to support a disgruntled general named Carlos Castillo Armas and codenamed Operation PBFORTUNE--was authorized by President Truman in 1952. As early as February of that year, CIA Headquarters began generating memos with subject titles such as "Guatemalan Communist Personel to be disposed of during Military Operations," outlining categories of persons to be neutralized "through Executive Action"--murder--or through imprisonment and exile. The "A" list of those to be assassinated contained 58 names--all of which the CIA has excised from the declassified documents.

CIA and Assassinations: The Guatemala 1954 Documents

So America tries to murder a head-of-State for building electric power generation plants that will compete with Chiquita, who has monopoly control over electric power in Guatemala.

Yeah, that will make America great again.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:03 PM

29 posts, read 20,027 times
Just 4 more days lads and lasses.... things should clarify then.

He could be good for the USA. I think that he is not so incompetent how most people think he is, he knows what he says. He knows how to get the voters on his side. I am certain he will not do things he promised like building the wall around Mexico or Walls around every Mosque. He is a populist. And a smart one.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:17 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

The political-left wants to turn America into Denmark,

They want to turn it into some combination of Denmark and a Latin American country. Which is nutty and why they must be stopped.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:22 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,567 times
He will only make it great for the 1%. The rest of us will just be left in the dust.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:23 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalGeneral View Post
Just 4 more days lads and lasses.... things should clarify then.

He could be good for the USA. I think that he is not so incompetent how most people think he is, he knows what he says. He knows how to get the voters on his side. I am certain he will not do things he promised like building the wall around Mexico or Walls around every Mosque. He is a populist. And a smart one.
He's also a man who is not used to having to work with others.

He's also a man whose entire career is based on spending other people's money on breathtakingly stupid deals.

There's literally nothing in his past or from his campaign or from how he's run his transition or from who he's picked to head up agencies to suggest he's anything other than an extremist, incompetent buffoon who won't listen to anyone and who constantly needs to be surrounded by yes men who will suck up to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies