Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you actually believe that Trump will make "America great again?"
Yes, ofcourse! 88 36.67%
No. Just no. 152 63.33%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 05:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times

Advertisements

America is already great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 05:53 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I don't understand what you just posted.
Why can't you? You said Trump will make America great again and I said he can't he lied to you "America already is great".Why can you not understand this?

Old 01-15-2017, 06:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
i believe that trump will do his best to make america great again. he will work with congress to get his agenda through. will congress work with him? that remains to be seen.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:08 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i believe that trump will do his best to make america great again. he will work with congress to get his agenda through. will congress work with him? that remains to be seen.
Can't make something "great again" when it is and always has been great.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Do you actually believe that Trump will make "America great again?"

No. I believe the exact opposite, he's going to bring it down if you don't all nip his tricks in the bud before it's too late. I hate to say this but I believe electing Trump to the presidency may prove to be the greatest disaster to happen to America in the entire history of the nation. Trump is already well on the way to declaring America to be an enemy of all other nations in the world. When one nation is the enemy to all other nations it is not a great nation, it is a doomed nation. Y'all are in my prayers. Seriously.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:47 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
Not reading 7 pages of regurgitated talking points, but I'll state my regurgitated talking point.

I'm just glad that Hillary Clinton won't have the chance to leave her mark on America as our President. Lesser of two evils...by comparison one is an absolute angel. And the angel isn't Hillary.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:56 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalGeneral View Post
Trump may have said lots of things what the majority of people wanted to hear - but do you really believe that Donald Trump will make "America great again?".

It is about the definition of making America great again. Ronald Reagan used the same slogan in his 1980 Campaign, but times were way different then. Reagan, in my opinion had completely different ideas than Donald Trump has.

Your thoughts?
I think the "Make America Great Again" slogan is just that--a slogan...the same way "Hope and Change" was just a slogan. You can pretty much project anything onto those slogans that you want.

One person can't "make" American great again. If America wants to be great, then Americans--all of us--are going to have to start making ourselves better human beings. That's where our greatness will come from. Deep down, we all know what we need to do to clean up our lives. The question is whether we'll actually take constructive action--or keep waiting...and waiting...and waiting for some "magical other" or outside force to fix everything for us.

Waiting for a savior to make us great again is the antithesis of greatness.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-16-2017 at 01:21 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 01:02 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,748 times
Great for whom?

The people need to fight for their country and not leave it up to some guy. Kennedy said it best "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"...You make up your country, not one guy in DC....In your community, you can do so much more than DC ever will.
But Trump'll ruin things as far as economy, he's only in it to make a name for himself and his croonies.
All the apathy in the world is what's ruining the world. Don't be a sitting duck!

Old 01-16-2017, 01:07 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
As I tell everyone, politics should simply be renamed, "The end justifies the means".

That all it has ever been, throughout all of human history, and that is all it ever will be. Not just in America, but everywhere.

If we actually cared if our elected officials were good people, we would have been electing good people for the past 230 years.

The people want effectiveness, not virtue. Hillary Clinton was a horrible person as well.

Excellent points. That's why the founders of our nation deliberately designed our constitution with checks and balances. They wanted a small government because they understood so very well what you have said. Unfortunately, people keep looking for a magical other to save them from themselves with predictably bad results. And they keep doing it over and over and over again.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:16 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Excellent points. That's why the founders of our nation deliberately designed our constitution with checks and balances. They wanted a small government because they understood so very well what you have said. Unfortunately, people keep looking for a magical other to save them from themselves with predictably bad results. And they keep doing it over and over and over again.
I hate to burst your bubble, but you need to read more history.

First, there were basically no checks and balances in our Constitution. That is a myth.

The Supreme Court effectively had no power in 1787. It granted itself the power of "Judicial Review" in Marbury v. Madison. And Thomas Jefferson was greatly opposed to Judicial Review, which he didn't think was even Constitutional, and he believed it would give the Judiciary far too much power(making it into an Oligarchy).

Jefferson on Politics & Government: Judicial Review

The founders actually wanted to give almost-complete power to the Legislative branch. The president remained fairly unimportant until probably the invention of radio, and especially TV. With mass media, he has come to dominate our national political-discourse.

Secondly, even if there was a "separation of powers", we cannot draw from that any sort of "checks and balances".

The men who constitute every branch of government, are the same class of men. Elected by the same class of people, and/or appointed by the same class of people.

The president and the Congress are the same class. The president doesn't, in any real sense, check the power of the Congress. Half the time they are members of the same party, and the president is always the defacto head of his party.

"The only difference between the Mafia and the government is a flag."

"In what sense can the bosses, underbosses, consiglieri, and soldiers of the same crime family be considered "separate and independent" from each other?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies